9 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:47 PM

Thought we could use a thread for Mac game sales. I'm particularly interested in DRM-free games, but all sales are good sales.
--

Divinity Original Sin 2 is currently 40% off at GOG. I've seen it for that price plenty of times on Steam, but the fact that this is DRM-free finally got me off the fence.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is on sale for $19.97 on Steam; I'm passing though because it's not clear when Feral will release the Mac version. If there's a delay the credit for my purchase might end up going 100% to the Window publisher.. I'll wait.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4160 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

*Shrug* Game sales have become a race to the bottom over the last couple of years, with sales continuously driving prices down. So a dedicated thread for sales is kind of redundant in my opinion. People who want the games NOW just buy them, and those who can wait with a huge backlog, they just pick it up for 5-10$ after a year.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

Steam has destructively eroded the gaming market and will be a key player in the oncoming crash, change my mind.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4389 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

I dunno. It used to be that way for sure, steam was spewing forth tons of 'huge ass sales' at crazy low prices. But then lately the last couple years of seasonal sales they have done have been abysmal (my backlog has not grown much at all due to it).

Overall it feels as if prices are not dropping as they used too. Maybe publishers finally saw the damage it was doing and have been doing a better more stricter job at preventing those crazy mass sales from happening.

But there is always the gray market due to steam. Gobs of fraudulent acquired steam keys being sold for dirt cheap. Once steam goes the way that Uplay has (Direct Activation Only), the gray market will continue to erode the gaming market more than steam itself.... although steam is a contributer to it due to the fact their keys are just SO open market and passed around like drugs.

Many years ago, though, the sales were low. I acquired too many games... the backlog is huge, but now dwindling because I've not been seeing any really good sales of games lately. I've had a gobsmack of top-notch games in my wishlist for what seems like YEARS now... and they never seem to even hit the 50% sale marks.

But now we have Epic in the works... and they will start doing crazy-stupid low sales to get all the customers, after they have locked in all these stupid publishers who don't see whats coming. We'll see the return of the "SUPER INSANE GAME SALES" again when Epic starts theirs up.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 26 September 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

*Shrug* Game sales have become a race to the bottom over the last couple of years, with sales continuously driving prices down. So a dedicated thread for sales is kind of redundant in my opinion.
I don't disagree. My thinking was that we used to have separate threads for various sales, but one thread would be more than enough now. If you are right, we don't even need this thread.

View Postmacdude22, on 26 September 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

Steam has destructively eroded the gaming market and will be a key player in the oncoming crash, change my mind.
I don't know if there will be a bigger crash or if the majority of the damage was already done. But otherwise I agree.

I didn't mean for this thread to be a place to announce every sale that happens. I don't think anyone needs that. But I AM interested if someone see a _specific_ game they liked (or heard good things about) on sale or in a bundle.

I don't think we need to overthink it. If the thread isn't useful it will wither away.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

I wonder how a thread dedicated to good game deals has turned into Steam (and soon Epic? I'll believe it when they do it) are evil because prices are lower than before thanks to them. Do you prefer to pay higher prices? :huh: As a consumer and heavy player, Steam sales and bundles are a godsend to me.

As for crashing the market: do game publishers go bankrupt left and right (at least, more often than before)? I'm not convinced.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4389 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

I always look for deals. I refuse to pay full price for any game. Not when so many of the games these days let me down with neglected bugs, and stupid issues that are just basics of game development that they ignore.

That said ... I don't think low prices kill much. It just more of the masses buy it, instead of just a handful of the elite few who can afford it. So, in the end, it all balances out.

That that said ... no good sales going on for MAC games at the moment? I know MGS doesn't have any at the moment. Some are lined up for late October (halloween!)... but nothing to really shake a stick at given the only 'good' games on mac are from Feral and Aspyr these days, and they don't like running sales ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

Humble Bundle Aspyr Publisher Sale — up to 80% Off
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Humble Postmodern Bundle- It has Thomas Was Alone in the $1 tier, Stanley Parable in the middle tier. Those two alone are worth the price of admission (esp. Stanley).
I also enjoyed Everything, which I described elsewhere.
Beckett and Rusty Lake Hotel look interesting but I haven't played them.

The other three are Windows only, but you don't have to pay for one of them (it's the top tier).
www.mindthecube.com

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

Humble Bundle, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for 85% Off ($6.74)
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sale