DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

I would still maintain that neither input nor design are major problems. Apple already sells keyboards along with Logitech and others I imagine for iOS devices. Controllers for iOS gaming are available too. Iím not disagreeing with you entirely about some transitional changes being needed in some cases. I can easily imagine that being the case but it is not a major problem that would hinder movement in this direction.

Again, comparisons to Microsoftís missteps donít really apply here. Those guys were trying to water down windows basically and the results sucked. Apple wonít be doing that as referenced by Tim Cookís remarks which I believe to be deliberately vague. What he has said can remain completely true while still side loading change into the equation.

Microsoftís big mistake was to try to create one operating system to run on everything or at least the same user interface. They should have left Windows alone and created something new for mobile, like Apple did and will almost certainly continue to do indefinitely as of this point in time.

I donít think Macs are watered down by new products even if lower end Macs are cannibalized by them. People needing a powerful Mac running macOS will still have that option. It isnít like some Mac Pro on ARM is up for discussion here, you know? And when you need a powerful notebook Mac, do you shop the new slim underpowered MacBook line or perhaps an Air? No, you get a MacBook Pro. If you are doing serious video production or whatever on the desktop, is the low end iMac with an Intel GPU going to cut it? No. Itís these low end systems that could go ARM with iOS and it would not represent any loss to the market needing real power at all. Itís just providing new options to users at the lower end of the scale who stand to benefit from them in various ways or Apple wouldnít be doing it.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#142 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 May 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

I would still maintain that neither input nor design are major problems.

It is exactly this - interfaces and input - that Tim Cook is talking about that there would be unwanted compromises in this support. There is no way Apple would do this, fortunately.

#143 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

New devices, not changed devices means the above issue does not exist.

#144 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

https://www.cultofma...impression=true

Long delayed Intel processors. Well, who knew?

#145 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3944 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:47 AM

Now, where is AMD in all of this? Surely they could provide Apple with chips that are almost as good, at a much cheaper price.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#146 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 31 July 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

Now, where is AMD in all of this? Surely they could provide Apple with chips that are almost as good, at a much cheaper price.

Because they're all-in on Thunderbolt, Apple would only be able to use it for the MacBook. But TB3 is going royalty-free so maybe that will change.

#147 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Intel's 10nm Cannon Lake process has been an absolute disaster for them. They were originally planning to release their 10nm chips in 2016. Now they are saying "Holiday 2019" for the new chips, which likely means Q1 2020 in reality. Because of this massive delay their huge performance lead on AMD has essentially vanished.

AMD is actually matching Intel in performance per watt with their new Ryzen 2000 chips and AMD has their 7nm chips (made by TSMC) planned for both CPUs and GPUs in 2019. TSMC's 7nm process is already operational by all reports (newest iPhone chip will be using it this fall most likely) and if that is the case Intel will have to release their 10nm architecture or AMD will gain a significant advantage in performance per watt.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#148 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:08 PM

I still think the "Kalamata" has something to do with Apple and AMD.

Apple can't rotate into its own chips unless they go ARM or back to Power. That's going to create another legacy computing disaster and make everyone's Mac App Store purchases invalidated. They also can't make any x86 chips. The only company other than Intel who can do that without Intel's lawyers eating them for lunch is AMD.

Add to this that AMD has a program for putting ARM and x86 together on a single chip that they're actively hiring for in Texas...

Well it might be nothing but I can't think of anything that fits better. AMD has also been talking up a major design win for a long time that has yet to be revealed, and they're waiting for the partner to speak first. They're also ordering almost 3x the normal number of chips going into next year from fabs versus the usual. Their demand is increasing, but 3x? And yet this isn't going onto their 2H revenue... in fact AMD's guidance for the rest of the year was pretty flat and disappointing. So it sounds like someone wants something based on their 7nm Zen 2 chips next year, and LOTS of them.

Hmm.

I can see Apple doing a sort of big.little CPU configuration with some really low power ARM cores to do menial tasks and sip electricity, and even let iOS apps run on Macs, but with x86 big guns ready to go for serious computing.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.