Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hello gents,

Figured I'd ask for help around here since you guys have been around the block before. I very recently bought new edifier s350db speakers for computer, and there is a high pitch squeal coming from them whenever i have them connected to an audio source. It's sort of subtle enough to be drowned out when playing or watching something, but it's still there and it's damn annoying.

I have two connections that I've tried, I used an optical connection to my PC and it squeals while connected to it, once I unplug the cable from my computer it stops however. I also tried bluetooth with my phone and I was surprised that the squealing happened there too.

Any ideas/advice?
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

That sounds like a hardware defect! With the optical and bluetooth connections, it can't be current parasites from the audio source.

Even high end gear (which your powered speakers isn't) can have such problems: I remember buying a Rotel preamp whose left channel sound was louder than the right, despite balance being set at neutral: the preamp was replaced and the problem was gone.

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 January 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

That sounds like a hardware defect! With the optical and bluetooth connections, it can't be current parasites from the audio source.

Even high end gear (which your powered speakers isn't) can have such problems: I remember buying a Rotel preamp whose left channel sound was louder than the right, despite balance being set at neutral: the preamp was replaced and the problem was gone.

I thought it could be that, didn't want it to be cause these are so new :( I sent Edifier an email about it so hopefully they'll get back to me.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1645 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

It does sound like the speakers are defective. I have encountered this once, a long time ago. I brought the speakers to the company that made them and interestingly an audio engineer there could not hear the sound that I could easily reproduce with a particular recording. Ultimately I left there with a replacement pair of speakers that did not have this defect.

If they are still under warranty I would just ask for refund or replacement.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell