Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Feral today announced another racing game for Mac OS X: DTM Race Driver 3, which is based on the German Touring Car Championship and also features NASCAR and go-kart racing.

Pricing is around 40 euros, the game will be available at the end of October. Nice job, Feral.

http://www.feralinte...e.com/?game=rd3
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8086 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

Ooooh! Nice! :D Okay, the game is also two and a half years old and already has a successor on the PC (Grid), but still: Nice!!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

What the hell? This game is over a week old, and it's not $3, and I don't even have a Mac. Why haven't you ported unreleased games to the XBOX720 for free? Feral are going out of business.

</ in before everyone else >

Hurrah for more games :)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#4 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

I hope the game plays as well as it looks - because those are some very nice screenshots!

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8086 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

View PostD-M.A., on October 8th 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

I hope the game plays as well as it looks - because those are some very nice screenshots!
Well, it is acclaimed as being one of the best racing games. There must be a reason for it.

EDIT: You can find out yourself now. Demo time!!! :D (BTW: There's only one server right now, so expect some troubles with the download later on.)

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

I guess an intel mac is in my future. I have so many G5's, but this game is a very good one.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#7 Chregu

Chregu

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

Wohoo!! Nice move Feral  :)
"It was like that at first," said Ralph, "before things--"
  • 2.2 GHz i7 15" MBP / 4 GB RAM / Radeon 6750M (1.0 GB VRAM) / 750 GB HD
  • 800 MHz PPC G4 / 20" Cinema-Display / 1 GB RAM / Radeon 8500 (64 MB VRAM) / 40 GB HD

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8086 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hm, I noticed a couple of ugly slowdowns when several cars are on screen and the demo froze on me when I quit. :mellow:

#9 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

View PostD-M.A., on October 8th 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

It is great fun (if I say so myself ;) ), you will be happy to know we will be releasing a demo every week for the next three weeks, one today, which is just a very small teaser, next week a bigger demo with a full DTM raceand one other type of car type race in it and the week after another demo with GameRanger online support for online play. For more updates on the demos etc check our mini site and news page (or maybe IMG news) for more details.

By that time you should be hooked and have ordered (and maybe received) the final game ;)

Hope everyone enjoys it as it was fun to test during the last few weeks. :)

Edwin

#10 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 8th 2008, 10:28 AM, said:

Hm, I noticed a couple of ugly slowdowns when several cars are on screen and the demo froze on me when I quit. :mellow:

Did you crank your graphics by any chance you are in a race with 20 odd cars, if you try to have to high a res then you might get some frame drop. You can tweak your settings to get better performance in the advanced tab.

Use Apple + Quit to quit, that will work, I am investigating.

Edwin

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8086 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

View Postedddeduck, on October 8th 2008, 07:37 PM, said:

Did you crank your graphics by any chance you are in a race with 20 odd cars, if you try to have to high a res then you might get some frame drop. You can tweak your settings to get better performance in the advanced tab.

Use Apple + Quit to quit, that will work, I am investigating.
I used the default settings, except for the resolution – but that is not the cause of the problem, otherwise I would see less frames per second all the time. But when no other car is around, the game is absolutely fluid. However, reducing the car detail selectively (and leaving all other settings at the default) helped a lot. The button for the hardware settings is really not quite obvious. ;) Just weird that cmd+Q quits the game without any trouble, while selecting "Quit Game" in the menu – which invokes the same dialog – eventually freezes the game.

#12 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

View PostJanichsan, on October 8th 2008, 11:38 AM, said:

I used the default settings, except for the resolution – but that is not the cause of the problem, otherwise I would see less frames per second all the time. But when no other car is around, the game is absolutely fluid. However, reducing the car detail selectively (and leaving all other settings at the default) helped a lot.

You can improve the speed in many ways as it is the graphics card load that slows down the game, so lower resolution will also make an improvement but yes if you lower car detail this should also help a lot. Glad to see you have it all working well now. The next two demos are a lot bigger and better this one is just a small teaser :)

View PostJanichsan, on October 8th 2008, 11:38 AM, said:

The button for the hardware settings is really not quite obvious. ;) Just weird that cmd+Q quits the game without any trouble, while selecting "Quit Game" in the menu – which invokes the same dialog – eventually freezes the game.

The demo has been updated (if you re-download) with a very small change which fixes the hang on quit that you had on your mac, it was just a small texture issue with the file image. Anyone downloading the demo now will not be effected. FYI you know the newer version as it has  _EN in the file name.

Right I am off home now, it's getting late! :D

Edwin

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8086 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

View Postedddeduck, on October 8th 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

You can improve the speed in many ways as it is the graphics card load that slows down the game, so lower resolution will also make an improvement ...
Yes, but I also tried just to lower the resolution and really had no significant effect on the slow-downs. It seems that it just were too many polygons or reflections or whatever with all that cars.

The quit fix works, though. That's what I call a quick support. :thumbsup:

#14 alkar

alkar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

I won't even bother with this game or the demo, already finished GRID on Bootcamp.

Why porting some old games when it has already a successor ? This I don't understand ? Oh, so it runs on more Macs and sell better ? Come on, I'm really disappointed...

Don't know why people are so crazy about this game. Next time you are gonna be crazy is if Nintendo ports Super Mario Bros to OSX in 2008...

#15 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:51 AM

View Postalkar, on October 9th 2008, 01:01 PM, said:

Don't know why people are so crazy about this game. Next time you are gonna be crazy is if Nintendo ports Super Mario Bros to OSX in 2008...

Wouldn't go too crazy over that. Now, if they ported Mario Kart, I'd be the first to buy it. Had a lot of fun with that on my buddies N64.  :lol:

The demo of this game didn't run stellar, but acceptable on my two year old iMac, so I'm glad they ported this instead of something newer.

#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

View PostD-M.A., on October 9th 2008, 05:51 AM, said:

The demo of this game didn't run stellar, but acceptable on my two year old iMac, so I'm glad they ported this instead of something newer.

You should be able to get pretty good fps if you tweak the settings as mentioned turning down the car detail in the advanced options panel at the start should help loads. Draw distance will also help but makes more of a visual impact so I would start with car detail, reflections etc.

Cheers,

Edwin

#17 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

View Postedddeduck, on October 9th 2008, 04:15 PM, said:

You should be able to get pretty good fps if you tweak the settings as mentioned turning down the car detail in the advanced options panel at the start should help loads. Draw distance will also help but makes more of a visual impact so I would start with car detail, reflections etc.

Cheers,

Edwin

Yea, I've tweaked around with the settings some, and found a good balance between visual appeal and fps. Just a bit spoiled running UT2k4 on 1680*1050 resolution with all eye candy on for so long :P

Is there a way to lower your opponents car detail while having your own car look shiny? I don't care if my opponents look like bricks, but it's annoying to drive around in one :P

#18 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

View PostD-M.A., on October 9th 2008, 06:22 AM, said:

Yea, I've tweaked around with the settings some, and found a good balance between visual appeal and fps. Just a bit spoiled running UT2k4 on 1680*1050 resolution with all eye candy on for so long :P

Is there a way to lower your opponents car detail while having your own car look shiny? I don't care if my opponents look like bricks, but it's annoying to drive around in one :P

Play on inside mode or bumper cam it's more realistic and you get a higher frame rate :P But to answer you question no I don't think so as they all use the same shader model.

Edwin

#19 alkar

alkar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:04 AM

edddeduck, you'll think i'm just some Feral haters there as you seem to ignore my message, but I have a simple question for you.

Why are you porting  such old games that some people (like me) don't care at all while there is GRID now ? Really... I don't see the point. Maybe Macbook owners will be happy, but you have to consider lots of people there have MBP / Mac Pro and don't feel like playing some cheap old game from 1980.

I guess MacBook owners will get to play this game though, good for them.

Have a nice day !

#20 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

View Postalkar, on October 9th 2008, 07:04 AM, said:

edddeduck, you'll think i'm just some Feral haters there as you seem to ignore my message, but I have a simple question for you.

You never asked me a question before! I saw your complaint about how you don't want to play the game or even the demo; that's fine if you don't want to play the game, I don't mind I am sure lots of other people will at least play the demo. :) Secondly if you ask me a question politely then I am happy to answer if I can.

Why are you porting such old games that some people (like me) don't care at all

Luckily lots of people who don't have the latest Intel Mac and have older Intel Macs like the original models still want to be able to play games so we try and make sure we have a balance of games that everyone can play not just for the people with new machines with lot and lots of RAM etc.

while there is GRID now ? Really... I don't see the point. Maybe Macbook owners will be happy, but you have to consider lots of people there have MBP / Mac Pro and don't feel like playing some cheap old game from 1980.

Race Driver 3 was released in 2006 so the game is 2 years old not 28! Apart from that I am sorry you think everything sucks and you have already finished all the games on PC (so even if we ported Grid you would not play it). As I mentioned we have a mix of games to try and cover all Mac users from the modern machines through to the older Intel and PPC machines.

Again I am sorry you are so upset and feel the need to complain about us making the game for the Mac. I hope our releases in the future are more to your taste and in the meantime I am hopeful a lot of other Mac users will have fun playing Race Driver 3.

Best Regards,

Edwin