max payne file size download macgamestore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tspring

Tspring

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hello everyone, I saw that on MacGameStore you cannot know the size of the file to download. I would like to buy Max Payne 3, is there someone who has already downloaded it and can tell me how many GB is the file?

#2 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

In my Steam library it is about 32GB.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.6

#3 Tspring

Tspring

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

Hi mattw, yes it's the same size that is on the game tab in MacGameStore. But I think it refers to the space occupied by the game on the hard disk, while the size of the file to download is usually different ....

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

According to this topic it’s 26 GB. PC version, but Mac should be similar.

https://www.neogaf.c...at-what.481430/

#5 Tspring

Tspring

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

Thank you Cougar. in the meantime I had also written to MacGameStore's assistance, this is their answer:

JUL 10, 2018  |  12:12AM PDT
MacGameStore Support replied:
The minimum size listed is based on the size of the .DMG file that gets downloaded. It's a good idea to have 2 or 3 times as much space available as the minimum, though, so you have room enough for the download, the installed game, and extra space for files to be copied and moved during installation.

In the end we can say that it is approximately around 30 GB :)

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

That was a generic response for games hosted by MGS. Since Max Payne 3 is hosted by Steam, then the download size and end install size are one in the same, since steam does not download dmgs or compressed files that it then has to decompress. It just downloads the whole darn thing in-place. They don't care about bandwidth ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 July 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

They don't care about bandwidth ;)

Well, most of the content is already compressed anyways: videos (and Max Payne 3 is FULL of those), sounds and music, etc. So I'm not sure additional compression would gain much.

#8 Tspring

Tspring

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

I found this site  https://steamdb.info/

Here should also be information about the file size of Max Payne 3   https://steamdb.info/app/204100/

Could someone help me find this data? English is not my mother tongue and I have a bit of difficulty ...

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostTspring, on 13 July 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

I found this site  https://steamdb.info/

Here should also be information about the file size of Max Payne 3   https://steamdb.info/app/204100/

Could someone help me find this data? English is not my mother tongue and I have a bit of difficulty ...

Says the Mac download (without DLC) is 29.34 GB.

#10 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 July 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

That was a generic response for games hosted by MGS. Since Max Payne 3 is hosted by Steam, then the download size and end install size are one in the same, since steam does not download dmgs or compressed files that it then has to decompress. It just downloads the whole darn thing in-place. They don't care about bandwidth ;)
I'm pretty sure the download is compressed. My internet bandwidth has long been limited to 2 Mb/s, and steam would consistently show 5 Mb/s or more, which I interpret as the bandwidth after decompression. Like in scp -C.

#11 Tspring

Tspring

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostCougar, on 13 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Says the Mac download (without DLC) is 29.34 GB.

Thanks Cougar, I think that after all these cross-checks I can be satisfied, the result is always around 30 GB.   :bye:

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

View Postjeannot, on 13 July 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the download is compressed. My internet bandwidth has long been limited to 2 Mb/s, and steam would consistently show 5 Mb/s or more, which I interpret as the bandwidth after decompression. Like in scp -C.

I only ever see 3.3mb max in my steam downloads... and thats on par with my sub-slow vdsl line.

They may have some stream compression going. But my point was more of "steam doesnt download a compressed file to one location, and decompress it into the installed location". It just goes straight to where it will end up without using up extra disk space to do it. Well... at least on windows. I have no clue what that broken-ass-ugly steam client does on the mac ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max payne, file size, download, macgamestore