Rise of The Tomb Raider™ announced for macOS, Linux!

tomb raider tomb raider rise awesome 20 year

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

I'm interested to know how Feral got PureHair/TressFX working, as I was under the impression the version RoTR was using needed DX11/DirectCompute to work. At any rate, the library is open source (as opposed to nVidia HairWorks which is not).
Awesome achievement regardless!

#22 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:21 AM

Some settings are absent from the Mac version: tesselation and HBAO+ for ambient occlusion, and perhaps others.
So we don't have tesselation? :huh:

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8437 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

View Postjeannot, on 26 April 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

… HBAO+ for ambient occlusion, …
HBAO+ is a proprietary Nvidia technology.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

Ok, but the lack of tessellation setting is surprising. I hope it's not due to Metal not being adequate.

#25 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

More than likely just differences in how Metal tessellation works not being compatible with RoTRs engine.

#26 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

If true, this does not bode well for future games that could require tessellation.

EDIT: apparently, the game uses tessellation for snow deformation so it's working on the Mac. But terrain tessellation was introduced in the Windows port and apparently didn't make it to the Mac version. I wonder if it's available onLinux.
Other effects introduced with the Windows version are present, like sun soft shadows.

#27 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

Again, that's probably more to do with differences in how Metal handles tessellation and the nature of porting an engine built around another platform/API.

#28 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Really enjoying this game (10hrs in). Actually turned graphics all up and still getting a smooth enough experience for me.

Had not realised there is a sequel planned for later this year (remember last time it was a console exclusive for a long time).

With Feral getting Mac games out as early as day one (with F1 2017) and assuming same game engine wonder if we might see that make it before Christmas....
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#29 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

For this episode, it seems Feral started the port a long time after the Windows release. I hope the delay will be shorter for the next one.

#30 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

I imagine a lot of that was down to Metal and features rather than licensing given their track record with Square Enix ports. Hopefully the recent improvements make life easier - certainly the number of recent triple A titles is promising.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#31 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

Pretty much. 10.13.4 fixed (like most point releases these days) a lot of driver and API bugs, assumedly making is finally feasible to release the game.

#32 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

View Postelowel, on 22 April 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm interested to know how Feral got PureHair/TressFX working, as I was under the impression the version RoTR was using needed DX11/DirectCompute to work. At any rate, the library is open source (as opposed to nVidia HairWorks which is not).
Awesome achievement regardless!
Awesome indeed. TressFX is open source, but it's still a DirectX API. I was sure we would only get the "normal" hair rendering on the Mac, which would have been fine by me and I suppose everyone else.
But Feral went further and gave us their best. Not satisfied to port the Foundation engine itself, they had to convert an major underlying API (TressFX) two 2 other OSes and APIs at the same time, with stellar performance.
Feral is really at the forefront of Vulkan and Metal programming. It'd be nice to have a story with interviews about their recent achievements. I'm not sure who can reach them. I certainly can't.

#33 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1543 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:18 AM

Just played through an hour on my new Hackintosh with new monitor (@2560x1440). Wow. I got a warning about playing at such a high resolution but it played smooth as buttah!
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#34 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

It's a not a good game aynway. Even more though compared to the surprisingly good TR 2013. I just finished the 20th Celeb. Ed.

Combat is the biggest letdown. Not the mechanics, even if melee is close to being unapplicable and rarely works. No, it's the combat scenarios you are thrown in. They are designed like a puzzle and if you don't know what to do at first sight, which is expected to you, you die quicker than an ice cube in hell. and playing the same combat scene over an over again to figure out in which way to solve it. No 'free roam' combat. This gets down to that the game wants you take out certain enemies is row of attacking enemies in a very specific way, Blow this one up, shoot the next with a rope arrow and if you don't do this the game gives you a really hard time.
But basically the game wants you to blow up or molotov evey enemy. WAY TOO MUCH 'cinematic' direction, IMHO.

Those nice sounding skills you can unlock, the game does not even give you remotely enough chances to apply them.

Melee is a ton less an option than in TR 2013 and stealth is totally broken. You manage to take out one or two enemies 'stealthly' before everybody knows where you are. Tomb raiding puzzles are not worth the name save by a few exceptions and the story ... don't get me started at this, even Baba Yaga is lackluster at best.

As much as I enjoyed TR2013,  I cannot get into ROTTR even after 50 hours. I finished it but I don't know if I had fun or just kept on to get this if the list. Which is never a good sign. So as a whole it wasn't as bad as being unplayable but a real disappointment for me.
Maybe I am playing this game wrong but I don't care one bit ponder it any further.

TR2013 compared to ROTTR is as much a letdown as Deus Ex:MD was after Deus Ex:HR.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8437 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

View Postmindnoise, on 19 January 2019 - 06:56 AM, said:

… as much a letdown as Deus Ex:MD was after Deus Ex:HR.
Is it, though? Apart from the story suffering from the "Middle Part of a Trilogy" syndrome (i.e. it's mainly bothered with setting up the sequel and doesn't really come to a satisfying conclusion), I don't see a problem with DXMD.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#36 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

I prefer the puzzle/arcade/exploration aspects of old TR games to the adventure/cutscene/mild RPG-focus of the reboots it has to be said, with the apex for me being TR: Anniversary. (The reboots are also absolute murder on my system, but I don't blame the developers for that. Crappy integrated graphics ftl).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#37 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 January 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

Is it, though? Apart from the story suffering from the "Middle Part of a Trilogy" syndrome (i.e. it's mainly bothered with setting up the sequel and doesn't really come to a satisfying conclusion), I don't see a problem with DXMD.

Which actually wasn't even the original plan I think. They initially wanted to do a pretty complete story but cut a lot of content to save it for the third game.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#38 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 January 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

DXMD felt so 'smallish' and scaled down in scope, level design (esp. exploration), quest-design and characters comapred to DXHR. I did not even mind the ending of DXMD very much with jsut enough sprinkled highlights to keep me interested.
But yes I see - these are some of those things that are hard to pin point what's wrong with them when they are nearly the same thing but one leaves a stale taste behind.

Anyway, after having played RiseTR I have no inclination to play ShadowTR anytime soon.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#39 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

View Postmindnoise, on 20 January 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

DXMD felt so 'smallish' and scaled down in scope, level design (esp. exploration), quest-design and characters comapred to DXHR. I did not even mind the ending of DXMD very much with jsut enough sprinkled highlights to keep me interested.
But yes I see - these are some of those things that are hard to pin point what's wrong with them when they are nearly the same thing but one leaves a stale taste behind.

Anyway, after having played RiseTR I have no inclination to play ShadowTR anytime soon.

Level design? Have to majorly disagree with you there. Detroit in HR never made you feel outside, it was so cramped. You could feel the console limitations. Sidequests in MD (my favorite part) took advantage of the more open space, and levels had more verticality to them. IMO, DXMD was a massive improvement all around except for the truncated main story/uninteresting characters. I admit that’s a major flaw, but even HR had some major story problems with the dumb zombie twist and the vending machine ending.

View Postipickert55, on 19 January 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Which actually wasn't even the original plan I think. They initially wanted to do a pretty complete story but cut a lot of content to save it for the third game.

Yes, that’s the rumor according to Jim Sterling. MD still ended up being a longer game for me than HR. I think what happened was that they made a semi open world that they had to populate with sidequests, then realized they had no more time/money to continue with the main plot.

#40 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8437 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

View Postmindnoise, on 20 January 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I have to disagree as well: it took me only a little less time to finish the main story in MD alone than the whole of Human Revolution in the Director's Cut with the included DLC, so it's definitely not a shorter game.

And while MD had less locations than HR, I felt these locations were larger, complexer, and more detailed. The thing is just that the game's structure let you skip over large parts of the maps, so I get that it might feel smaller. On the other hand, HR reused some of its locations (Detroit and Hensha) more often.

Similarly, the missions: MD had technically overall less, but these were usually complexer and longer than HR's. The mission to Golem City alone probably was about as long as HR's comparable missions to Singapore and Montreal combined.

I agree with you somewhat regarding the characters: quite a bunch of characters in MD are woefully underdeveloped and underused, like Jensen's antagonistic colleague MacReady. On the other hand, there were a couple of interesting and memorable characters in the side missions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tomb raider, tomb, raider, rise, awesome, 20 year