25 replies to this topic

#21 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2416 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Is this an accurate description: you have two computers which worked with a previous monitor but neither lights up the replacement? If so, sounds like the problem lies solely with that monitor, but it might be a setup issue. Double-check the wires and power cable. Cycle through the possible inputs. Try plugging in a console if you have one.

Don't underestimate calling their support line. I couldn't get one of the inputs of my son's new tv to work, and when I called the support line they quickly figured out that I had plugged an input cable into an output port. I was so pleased they fixed it I didn't even mind looking stupid. (In my defense the markings on the TV ports were not clear, but whatever.)

In your case they may have sent you a dud refurb, but hopefully not.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#22 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3231 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 January 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

In my experience, refurbs are usually a safer purchase than a 'new' product since a refurb has usually been double or triple checked prior to being shipped out, whereas a new product has probably not been tested at all prior to shipping.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || AMD RX480 8 GB || 8 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: LG 21:9 2560x1080 monitor  || PS4 slim ||  QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || Phone 6S 64GB

#23 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

In my experience, refurbs are usually a safer purchase than a 'new' product since a refurb has usually been double or triple checked prior to being shipped out, whereas a new product has probably not been tested at all prior to shipping.

I think that is generally true. I had the worst of luck with my Dell P2415Q monitor though. First (refurb) had horizontal lines in the center of the screen. Second (new) had the same lines. Third (new,) was finally fine.

+1 to MacDude's suggestion, BTW. I have the exact same hub. I also put a USB to audio adaptor on the hub, so one button switches my keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

The worst thing about it *is* the menu (come on Dell, make this easier!) but I am not switching multiple times a day. Usually I'm on my Mac.

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17236 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 January 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Is this an accurate description: you have two computers which worked with a previous monitor but neither lights up the replacement? If so, sounds like the problem lies solely with that monitor, but it might be a setup issue. Double-check the wires and power cable. Cycle through the possible inputs. Try plugging in a console if you have one.

Yes.  I have two computers and a single monitor.  Both work well with the CRT from before.  I'll do your recommended double check.

Don't underestimate calling their support line. I couldn't get one of the inputs of my son's new tv to work, and when I called the support line they quickly figured out that I had plugged an input cable into an output port. I was so pleased they fixed it I didn't even mind looking stupid. (In my defense the markings on the TV ports were not clear, but whatever.)

I don't care if I look stupid, I've already come to grips with that as an Ignorant Doofus American (my politically correct designation).  For sure I'll contact support from both Newegg and ASUS.

View PostCougar, on 05 January 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

I think that is generally true. I had the worst of luck with my Dell P2415Q monitor though. First (refurb) had horizontal lines in the center of the screen. Second (new) had the same lines. Third (new,) was finally fine.

This gives me hope.  There is another instance of a twice faulty monitor.

+1 to MacDude's suggestion, BTW. I have the exact same hub. I also put a USB to audio adaptor on the hub, so one button switches my keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

The worst thing about it *is* the menu (come on Dell, make this easier!) but I am not switching multiple times a day. Usually I'm on my Mac.

I have a splitter for audio.  For USB and the monitor I have separate cables that I swap connections with according to the computer I plan to use.  I need to get a switch to automate this.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

I just use my remote to choose from PS4, PS2, Steam Link or Apple TV myself. I find it so much simpler and less expensive too! It is a bit of work operating this way but fortunately I am able to do so whilst lying on the couch in comfort so I don't overexert myself. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#26 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2416 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

I didn't mean to imply that all refurbs are duds. The majority of my Macs over the years have been refurbs. I've also had good luck with iPod/iOS refurbs. That's Apple though-- I have less experience with other companies' refurbs. Lacking that experience I am a bit wary of them but it may be unfounded.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.