25 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Soon I will have a second computer that will have to share keyboard/mouse, sound out, and monitor.  I'm looking for some sort of AB switch to do this so I don't have to swap cables every time I switch computers but I seem to get lost figuring out what AB switch I need and how to set it up.  I'm going to start with DVI-I but when I get my new monitor it will be HDMI.  Should I just wait and get the AB switch after I get the new monitor?

I'd appreciate some recommendations for this, if you would be so kind... um... and don't want to get BAND™ whilst writhing on the floor with your agonizer glowing bright enough to cast the shadow of your hopeless despair on the wall.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

The shadow of my hopeless despair is already burned into the wall thanks to all the punishment I got for not playing Borderlands. So, while I know all about AB switches in great detail and in fact have written scholarly papers on them complete with schematics I will share none of my in-depth knowledge of this topic with the likes of you scruffy cat. You are so on your own. I hope when you flip the switch the first time your PC shuts down and your refrigerator door flies open and your Microwave starts cooking the air inside of it and your lights flicker on and off until they pop and then smoke rises from your computer while your Seagate SSD starts making strange creepy sounds like a spinning hard drive and the system you meant to switch too shudders and falls off your desk!

In other words, I owned one of those so long ago now that I wouldn't know what to tell you today but I'm sure the hardware guys around here will have something to say worth reading unlike this spam.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 11 August 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I hope when you flip the switch the first time your PC shuts down and your refrigerator door flies open and your Microwave starts cooking the air inside of it and your lights flicker on and off until they pop and then smoke rises from your computer while your Seagate SSD starts making strange creepy sounds like a spinning hard drive and the system you meant to switch too shudders and falls off your desk!

Holy frak!  This is exactly what happened in that exact order when I tried to down grade back to Yosemite from El Capitan to use Bootcamp again!!  I'm caught in a loop!!  I'm cutting you slack and setting you free though because I can only pith a frog once... Well unless there's a sequel.  Pith 2: Now the Frogs Are Really Pithed.

But the rest of you ain't going to be so lucky.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:01 AM

If you plan to have both computers on at the same time, consider sharing the peripherals over the network: https://www.raymond....iple-computers/

People I work with all use Synergy (free), but there are a number of other free and commercial solutions.

But if this is a typical home scenario, I agree you'll probably want a physical switch.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

So my monitor has HDMI/Display Port/DVI. I did a lot of research and KVM technology has not really kept up with modern displays. I ended up just getting an IOgear USB switch and letting the Monitor do it's video switching business.

http://amzn.to/2bb1B3N

My setup to the monitor (VG248QE) is as follows

Mac Pro -> DVI
popsnizzle Box PC -> Display Port
Mono price 3 HDMI Switch - HDMI

PS3 -> Monoprice HDMI
X360 -> Monoprice HDMI

This switch auto selects the input, as long as you only use one device at a time it works great! Never dick with the button on it.

I am a simple audio man and have a nice 2ch Logitech set. Monitor has 2ch audio out. I have the following AV switch configured.

http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

Mac Pro -> Input 1
VG248QE -> Input 2
Output -> Logitech speakers

The way this is setup, the mac pro gets 1 on the switch ANY device actively selected on the monitor gets audio when set to 2.

Lastly I have the IOGear GUS402 with Mac Pro on Input 1 and popsnizzle Box PC on input 2.

It all sounds complicated but it's so easy the kids can figure it out. Mac Pro is on 1 and 1 and DVI, EVERYTHING else is on 2 and 2.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Macdude, looks like I might be getting multiple devices to solve this problem if Matts suggestion doesn't pan out.  I'll look into his solution first, as it seems the most elegant solution, some free software that is.  I do plan to leave both computers on because I can't do all day long game sessions any more and I like to jump out of the game to do other things, some on the other computer.  Plus the Mac is doing protein folding number crunching.  So yeah, both will be running.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

I have used Synergy in the past. It worked pretty well but sometimes it would drop the remote connection and I'd be stuck until I drug out a wired device. Maybe that's fixed now, this was 5 years ago. Also not sure how the input lag would feel gaming but if you had the devices direct connected to the PC and shared to the mac prolly be fine.

My setup is a little complex but the actual operation is super simple, and I had more devices I needed to connect than you do (and needed audio from all of them). And the USB box and audio box were WAAAAAAY cheaper than a KVM and better performance. There are literally no KVMs (that one can afford) that will support 144hz.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Little visual aid. Generally I'm just using the Mac so it on DVI, USB 1, Audio 1.

But its easy to select say HDMI, Audio 2 for xbox. Or DP, USB 2, Audio 2 for PC. etc... once it was all wired up and tucked behind my desk it's just click click boom.

Attached Files

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

You just made my brain go "click click boom".  I know what I mean when I say "DP", what do you mean when you say "DP"?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 August 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

Holy frak!  This is exactly what happened in that exact order when I tried to down grade back to Yosemite from El Capitan to use Bootcamp again!!  I'm caught in a loop!!  I'm cutting you slack and setting you free though because I can only pith a frog once... Well unless there's a sequel.  Pith 2: Now the Frogs Are Really Pithed.

But the rest of you ain't going to be so lucky.

I don't know. Am I on punishment or something? My "beans" button has disappeared now I can't like anybody's comments. Maybe I exceeded my limit of liking stuff again and that made it go poof. I reset Chrome's history, cookies, cache, etc. then quit and returned and logged in but nobody is getting no beans from me.

I think I am being punished.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 August 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Little visual aid. Generally I'm just using the Mac so it on DVI, USB 1, Audio 1.

But its easy to select say HDMI, Audio 2 for xbox. Or DP, USB 2, Audio 2 for PC. etc... once it was all wired up and tucked behind my desk it's just click click boom.

That is a sweet setup. If I wind up needing similar functionality I'll have forgotten by then but know who to ask for a refresher. I'd like having a console in here so as not to disturb my parrots sleepy time at night. I never watch TV at night because the living room is their room more than mine. I live in the servant's quarters behind it and I am not allowed in there after sunset nor before sunrise as a rule. African Grey parrots have one hell of a bite. One learns quickly to conform to their expectations and requirements.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 August 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

You just made my brain go "click click boom".  I know what I mean when I say "DP", what do you mean when you say "DP"?

Uhh display port, what do you cats think it means. Display port and hdmi pass audio so I can pass any DP/HDMI audio from the monitor to an output. Also my speakers have a headphone jack on them so I can jack headphones into them too and have headphones from any device still.

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Synergy might be painful when sharing one monitor. It's default mode is that you move your cursor off one screen and like magic it moves to the adjacent computer's screen. Still, give it a shot. I think it'll let you set up a hotkey to trigger the switch instead.

Macdude made a good point about sharing the monitor using its multiple inputs. That's what I do. Unfortunately my Dell, while otherwise decent, doesn't detect which inputs are in use. Switching is completely manual and tedious-- need to navigate the menus every time. If I was going to be switching back and forth daily, I'd look for a monitor that either auto-switches or has an easy one-button switch.

I completely forgot that I DO have a hardware switch: a dirt-simple single-port USB switch.
Mouse is plugged into the keyboard, the keyboard is plugged into the switch. I rarely use it as I only need it when I'm working from home. If I used it more I might want something fancier, but maybe not.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 August 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Macdude made a good point about sharing the monitor using its multiple inputs. That's what I do. Unfortunately my Dell, while otherwise decent, doesn't detect which inputs are in use. Switching is completely manual and tedious-- need to navigate the menus every time. If I was going to be switching back and forth daily, I'd look for a monitor that either auto-switches or has an easy one-button switch.

Oh yea, having to navigate a menu every time would be terrible. This asus just has an input button next to the power button.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Macdude, I'll be getting an asus as a replacement monitor when the next upgrade happens.  

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 12 August 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I don't know. Am I on punishment or something? My "beans" button has disappeared now I can't like anybody's comments. Maybe I exceeded my limit of liking stuff again and that made it go poof. I reset Chrome's history, cookies, cache, etc. then quit and returned and logged in but nobody is getting no beans from me.

I think I am being punished.

Unfortunately you aren't being punished, though I could have that arranged if you are dead set on it being true.  There is a 3 or 5 bean limit (I forget which) per customer in a 24hr period.  Your crime is that you are too likable.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

Man I'm tired cuz I read something that wasn't asus 3 times before asus clicked.

#17 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 August 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Uhh display port, what do you cats think it means. Display port and hdmi pass audio so I can pass any DP/HDMI audio from the monitor to an output. Also my speakers have a headphone jack on them so I can jack headphones into them too and have headphones from any device still.

My Bose desktop speakers are like this also. I am very happy with them.

View Postmacdude22, on 12 August 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Man I'm tired cuz I read something that wasn't asus 3 times before asus clicked.

That monitor I take it is the one you told me about some time ago which I think I'd like to get when I get the PC or whatever is the then current form of it. I am hoping I can do this by the coming spring but we shall see.

#18 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

Anus, I was reading anus. I did a lot of driving tonight. My eyes are tired.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 August 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

No no, you were getting it right.  Did I misspell "anus" again?  Your end stinks serve you well.  Nothing quite like staring into a 27" anus while wiping the floor with psychos and bandits.  It's not the most ergonomic monitor, after a long gaming session I still get pooped.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

I had to send my ASUS Rog PG279Q monitor back for a replacement because it's HDMI port would not work for my Mac nor my PC.  The replacement came back yesterday and now my PC nor my Mac can't get a signal in either the DP or the HDMI ports.  I'm fraked.  I don't know what is wrong or even who to call.  I stayed awake most of the night thinking about it in an endless loop.  Somebody just shoot me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat