#21 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4450 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:40 PM

Unsurprisingly, as they were also one of the first with Metal support for their small game.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#22 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3085 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 November 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

Unsurprisingly, as they were also one of the first with Metal support for their small game.
True, but that was a while ago and we've seen some discouraging signs from them since.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#23 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

After hearing that feral will not port the old and already extremely small 64bit catalog and looking at the 1440p benches...
then I would perhaps wait for Mx(2/3/4) because I expected 30+fps which would convince me buying this M1-mini...

EDIT: wait!
Benches are better then first impressions!
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#24 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 November 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

True, but that was a while ago and we've seen some discouraging signs from them since.

Indeed. I imagine that Diablo 4 would run very nicely on M1 hardware.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#25 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4450 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 November 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

True that. Blizzard is in a weird state at the moment. But I still do expect to see AS support for Diablo III at least. Starcraft 2, that's a bit more questionable.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#26 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:02 AM

The 16GB versions will ship in a month or so...I am really interested how the "memory-managment" is done!

If the 8GB are shared between all components, we have e.g. 4GB "RAM" for the cpu and 4GB "VRAM" for the GPU. 4GB "VRAM"...some olders games need 6GB "VRAM" in order to let games use high or ultra on textures. Afaik this does not mean the cpu and gpu need both 6GB at the same time, because copying the framebuffer is not needed, but keep in mind if you use 6GB on textures you only have 2GB left and the OS needs about 1-1,5GB for itself. I think that the ssd is used to copy/swap stuff...this will lead to stuttering due to the loading/swapping from ssd. (I would prefer an external one because much cheaper)... It would be very interesting to see the Mx roadmap and the plan for the porters.

In short: 8GB or 16GB M1 or waiting for Mx with more RAM.

It's all about the software that is available and runs perfect...I still want to buy an M1 machine...badly...
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#27 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

Reddit user posted a list of games he's tested on M1 Mini:

https://www.reddit.c...i_with_8gb_ram/
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#28 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

Has anyone tried some of the “real” games that have been ported to iOS on a M1 Mac? Thinking of things like X-Com, X-Com 2, Civ VI, etc...

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

View PostBen, on 20 November 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

Has anyone tried some of the “real” games that have been ported to iOS on a M1 Mac? Thinking of things like X-Com, X-Com 2, Civ VI, etc...

Fortnite would also be an interesting game to try if it wasn't currently gone from the store due to Apple and Epic's legal feud. It has a 120 fps option on my iPad Pro. I don't care for the game much personally, but am very curious about it's performance. The iOS version could be benchmarked against the macOS native version.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#30 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 November 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

Fortnite would also be an interesting game to try if it wasn't currently gone from the store due to Apple and Epic's legal feud. It has a 120 fps option on my iPad Pro. I don't care for the game much personally, but am very curious about it's performance. The iOS version could be benchmarked against the macOS native version.

There are many reviews where they test Fortnite.

#31 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 16 November 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

...waiting for barefeats...

https://barefeats.co...el-version.html

#32 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

View PostHomy, on 20 November 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

There are many reviews where they test Fortnite.

Have the tested the iOS version running on the M1 vs the macOS (x86) version?
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#33 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:54 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 21 November 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

Have the tested the iOS version running on the M1 vs the macOS (x86) version?

But Fortnite doesn't exist in App Store so there is no iOS version. Everything I've seen is the Epic Store version on Mac. Search Youtube for "Fortnite Apple M1".

#34 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted Today, 12:33 PM

Brad Oliver posted on Twitter this morning mentioning that by far the biggest impediment to patching games for ARM was all the middle-ware and libraries. Physics libraries, sound libraries, etc.

Fairly important point and I remember that being part of the reason for slow OS 9 to OS X porting, and slow PPC to Intel porting unfortunately. Luckily it seems like Rosetta 2 runs games at only a 20-30% performance hit, which isn't too bad if we get some decent GPU options in the next Mac AS releases (I.e. ATI or much much more powerful Apple GPUs).

Also, over at eGPU.io some users have concluded that the only thing holding back eGPU's on the M1 machines is lack of ARM-native ATI drivers. Looks like all the thunderbolt chips and other extensions necessary are in place and with ARM-native ATI drivers it would be easy to "hack" it if Apple didn't natively support it (similar to how I can "hack" my Thunderbolt 1 to use an eGPU even though it isn't natively supported). Who knows whether we will ever get ARM-native ATI drivers though. It will only happen if Apple includes an ATI graphics card in one of their Pro machines going forward I would think...

#35 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted Today, 01:46 PM

"Brad Oliver posted on Twitter this morning mentioning that by far the biggest impediment to patching games for ARM was all the middle-ware and libraries. Physics libraries, sound libraries, etc.Fairly important point and I remember that being part of the reason for slow OS 9 to OS X porting, and slow PPC to Intel porting unfortunately."

Wow, that ARM switch came totally unexpected for the developers.

I have no problems buying a native M1 Port for every CODxyz/Rage. e.g. 9,99 USD for each one. I am also the opinion that gfx-cards are not needed for 1080p gaming at medium/high levels on m1 with framerates 30+.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#36 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

View Postozzy, on 23 November 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

ATI or much much more powerful Apple GPUs.
ARM-native ATI drivers (three times)
an ATI graphics card...

Um, the ATI brand disappeared in 2010. Welcome to 2020, now they're called AMD. ;)

#37 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted Today, 02:40 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 23 November 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Um, the ATI brand disappeared in 2010. Welcome to 2020, now they're called AMD. ;)

Lol - clearly old brand loyalty still lives in my brain :)

Also, @dr.zeissler - I don't think it's that the ARM switch came totally unexpected. I think Brad's point is more that they as Feral Interactive can only do so much - when they rely on a bunch of 3rd party libraries and those 3rd party library developers haven't updated their libraries yet or don't have a lot of financial incentive to or have gone out of business, it makes it very difficult for Feral to update the port for ARM. I remember the days when PhysX wouldn't create a Mac library and therefore we couldn't get ports of any games that relied on it (think this was ~2003-2006 or so). I believe it was Aspyr who finally ported Age of Empires III but ripped out PhysX and re-wrote the physics engine from the ground up. It was possible, but took quite a bit of time & effort, which translates to cost!

Once we get over this hump, I'm somewhat hopeful that things will actually improve on the Mac gaming front. Given the power/performance shown by these new M1 machines, and the fact that AAA games are at least somewhat playable on them at decent settings (not the case for integrated graphics over the last 5-8 years), there is suddenly a much much bigger addressable market for Aspyr/Feral. I don't know how many machines Apple sells with decent graphics cards (16" MBP, 27" iMac, and Mac Pro), but I would guess it's 15-20% of the total Mac sales at best. If the potential market for an Aspyr/Feral port goes from 15-20% of machines sold to 100% of machines sold due to the M1 GPU power, that is a big deal.