• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:52 PM

So I rescued this from the IT dumpster at work today.

It feels like it has a battery, but no juice (obviously), so I'll try and find a power supply to hook it up to.  

Posted Image

Bonus!

Posted Image

Posted Image

But holy crap it's heavy. I just carried it up the stairs and I need to sit down.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3085 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:04 PM

Nice. I have one that looks very similar, but the label has no specs, just says "PowerBook G3 Series". So I'm guessing yours is a later edition.
I don't feel like firing it up to get the specs, since it is so very slow.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I'm not sure what gen this is...Wallstreet Series II, perhaps.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:01 AM

This is actually not related to this at all - but the "it belongs in a museum" text reminded me of something about the Tarantino movie The Hateful Eight

Spoiler

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3085 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:42 AM

Similar thing happened in Battlestar Galactica. Edward James Olmos smashed a wooden model of a ship his character had been building as a hobby. It wasn't in the script but he went with his gut during the take and it was a great moment. But he didn't know the thing was on loan from a museum, worth over $100,000.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1842 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

Back on topic... I (or rather, my dad) had one of these, but it was the beefier 300mhz model (https://everymac.com...ook_g3_300.html ) with a DVD drive. It was the first DVD drive my family owned... I vividly remember watching Jaws on it and being terrified. I also remember playing the DVD version of Riven on it, at a time when DVD games were super uncommon. Not having to swap disks was great.