10 replies to this topic

#1 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

I have a PowerBook Ti 1Ghz with 1GB of RAM do you guys think it is worth it to buy Command and Conquer: Generals? Sense I have the minimum CPU speed I wouldn't be surprised if it played like popsnizzle, but I really don't know. Any input would be appreciated cause I would like this game, but i hate playing games that jump around and popsnizzle all the time.

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

If you have broadband, take your time to download the demo. There's no way better to find out if it's playable that to test it yourself, since people seems to disagree on what you mean by playable.

Unfortunately the demo is about 360MB, so it can take some time to download if your connection is slow, or the server busy.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:11 AM

You can always use iGetter and slowly download the demo during the night with resumable downloads. Works well for those still on narrow band/congested network connections or those whom have finnicky broadband.
the IMG audio guy...

#4 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:06 AM

Well it's super slow on my Tibook 1.33 1 gig ram, but it's got to be a bug. At least I hope it's a bug. The demo ran just fine.

#5 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:35 PM

I have a very fast connection downloading the demo in a few minutes; however, the demo jumps around and is very choppy. I figure my 2 year old Powerbook just doesn't cut it for modern games anymore. Yet, I suspect it has more to do with bad coding and no alti-vec support. I am not planning on upgrading for awhile so guess no Command and Conquer for me.

#6 Mobynick

Mobynick

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:49 PM

C&C Generals Demo ran... and not THAT horribly on my Tibook 800 mhz which is definitely below the 'minimum requirements'

I would think retail... probably after some patches would be fine on a 1ghz Powerbook, it might be iffy for online play though  :roll:

#7 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

As I posted elsewhere, the demo ran acceptably on my 667 TiBook. I was able to beat all the missions, and while it was slow, it wasn't choppy, and was quite enjoyable. I wouldn't worry if you actually meet the specs.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#8 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:00 PM

wait I just bought a 1Ghz Powerbook, a new one, are they made with alluminum, not titanium? Either way, mine can run the demo just fine, with all features at highest detail except ground lighting, which causes some weird ground coloring...runs quickly too...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#9 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

Well the AL 1Ghz powerbooks are no faster than the older TiBooks, thus I don't see how some can run the game better than others on the same system. I think people just have different ideas of what is playable. I have high standards and do not enjoy playing a game with choppy cut scenes or etc. Call me picky but it is just the way I am.

#10 Jac42

Jac42

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 06:09 AM

I installed Generals on my 1 Ghz 15" Ti with 1 Gb of Ram it runs OK. I turned off 2d and 3d shadows and that greatly improved performace. I tried running a skirmish and didn't notice any slowdowns.
Jack...

#11 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

Does the actual game run better than the demo?