Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 22 August 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

> I need something offsite that is manageable and so I guess I need to pony up for Dropbox annually.

Of course Dropbox is not your only option.

I am a cheapskate so I backup to an external drive using SuperDuper every three months and keep it at work. (Plus a monthly backup in a fire safe.) But I can't really recommend that method (risk of someone stealing the drive, for example.) At some point I will switch to some other service. Maybe one of these: http://mac-online-ba...tenreviews.com/

Wait, you mean I have to get a job? There has to be an easier way. I'll go check out that article you linked and see what's there.

Edit: I needed a nap after stressing about all this stuff. I feel better now. I took a look at the linked options. Thanks a lot for posting that. OpenDrive offers exactly what I am looking for. I can purchase 500 gigs annually and use it just like any other drive on the system without any requirement for the data to be kept locally on the startup drive. Perfect. It integrates with Finder and all I have to do is copy up the stuff I want redundantly backed up and I'm all set. I think it may have backup software to do this also but I didn't bother investigating in any detail for now. Even if it doesn't, what it does give me at the price point it does this is fine. I note that you can install it and that gives you 5 gigs free so I think I'll do that to check it out and buy into it later.

I've since learned I need to be more on the ball myself. Dropbox isn't as flexible as I thought. It also requires files be on a local drive that it is syncing with. I'm glad somebody makes an option that just acts as another drive and OpenDrive does offer backup functionality and other features I found too.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 Macster

Macster

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:06 AM

I just recently had a very bad experience with an emulator and I am getting all paranoid. The emulator was legit (Andyroid). Sadly, it had received incentives from everyone's not so favorite "security" peddler Mackeeper.

I followed MacKeeper's uninstall program which prompted me to answer a question. Interestingly OS X also popped the admin password when I moved it to the trash. As I know that doesn't get rid of it fully I used DetectX to expel the rest of it after I removed all the cookies/cache data from Safari just to be extra sure.

Since the net is flooded with articles pro and con and it is hard to get a straight answer on this I figured I would risk asking here.

Is MacKeeper sending personal data off of your computer to them or others? Is it actively stealing data from your machine or just bloating it with ads so you are compelled to "buy" their services? Basically is is more than just adware? Is it spyware? I am concerned since I had to enter my admin pass and answer a question which meant some data was sent back their server for sure.

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

From reading your other posts elsewhere about this issue it sounds like you are all set now and can relax. The people who sell MacKeeper have made some very bad decisions about how to promote sales of their software and otherwise enhance revenue generation but I don't think they are out to get you so to speak in any destructive way.

If it bothers you and you want to know that not a single trace of it or anything else that may have been installed with that Android emulator is absolutely, positively gone I would suggest wiping the drive and doing a clean install of macOS.

I did that once in the Windows world after installing a game that had the infamous StarForce DRM. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I had a clean system after that little disaster which as I recall was brought upon me by the wonderful folks at Ubisoft who have such a deep, abiding love for their PC games customers. That was a real pain in the rear with Windows but it was necessary in that case.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#24 Macster

Macster

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

From reading your other posts elsewhere about this issue it sounds like you are all set now and can relax. The people who sell MacKeeper have made some very bad decisions about how to promote sales of their software and otherwise enhance revenue generation but I don't think they are out to get you so to speak in any destructive way.

If it bothers you and you want to know that not a single trace of it or anything else that may have been installed with that Android emulator is absolutely, positively gone I would suggest wiping the drive and doing a clean install of macOS.

I did that once in the Windows world after installing a game that had the infamous StarForce DRM. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I had a clean system after that little disaster which as I recall was brought upon me by the wonderful folks at Ubisoft who have such a deep, abiding love for their PC games customers. That was a real pain in the rear with Windows but it was necessary in that case.

Thank you for the suggestions, I had pondered a full wipe but DetectX seems to have gotten even the invisible files out, other search utilities can find no further trace of it. I have changed my main passwords for e-mail and such just in case too. I figure I will just wait and see but for now every PID and other such processes have been normal and my bandwidth has been normal also.

I too have awful memories of the windows world so I hate these feels.