Neverwinter Nights Diamond Free on GOG (briefly)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

Just in case any of you missed it and want a free copy of the complete first NWN experience, it is free on GOG for the next 37 hours as of this posting...
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Works great with Crossover or paul the talls porting kit.

http://portingkit.com/game/754
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

Scored this for Hordes of the Underdark, which I never played but is supposed to be significantly better than the original campaign and Shadows of Undrentide, which I did not think much of.

#4 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

I have wineskin floating around my harddrive. Assuming I'd have to download a wrapper for the game right?
What is a man?

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 01 December 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

I have wineskin floating around my harddrive. Assuming I'd have to download a wrapper for the game right?

Here is one easy solution:

http://paulthetall.c...ter-nights-mac/

You could also use Wineskin and roll your own after checking with the Wine AppDB page for this game to see if any tweaks are needed, etc. This assumes familiarity with using Wineskin which is not difficult but also not without any learning curve. The Wineskin site offers complete documentation if you need it. Lastly, I forget the name now but somebody else can chime in here with it who does, there is a site loaded with Wineskin wrappers already made up for many games that is another avenue with less effort needed if the wrapper works properly on the first try, etc.

Personally, I'd go with Wineskin if you know how to use it but if not, going the Crossover route outlined on Paul's site would be good. He offers a porting kit app last I knew too that may already automate setting it up but depending on how he did this one, it may depend on Crossover being installed.

Paul's site is a great resource at any rate so check that out.

Keep in mind that if your copy of Wineskin is old you need to update it and get whatever the recommended Wine version is for the game if you have any issues with the most current stable release.

I found the site I was trying to remember: http://portingteam.com/frontpage

However, I did not find a ready-made wrapper for NWN there unfortunately.

#6 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Personally, I'd go with Wineskin if you know how to use it but if not, going the Crossover route outlined on Paul's site would be good. He offers a porting kit app last I knew too that may already automate setting it up but depending on how he did this one, it may depend on Crossover being installed.

Awhile ago I saw on GOG a mixlist of recommended games that work with Wine out of the box for mac OS and the diamond edition was one of them. I haven't downloaded 1.9 when it states that Wineskin Winery is at version 1.7 while the Wrapper Version window in the main menu window says 2.6.2.

Just thought since Wineskin is freeware and all I'd use that as oppose to paying for crossover. Unless what you mean is that the portingkit URL is free like Wine?
What is a man?

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 01 December 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Awhile ago I saw on GOG a mixlist of recommended games that work with Wine out of the box for mac OS and the diamond edition was one of them. I haven't downloaded 1.9 when it states that Wineskin Winery is at version 1.7 while the Wrapper Version window in the main menu window says 2.6.2.

Just thought since Wineskin is freeware and all I'd use that as oppose to paying for crossover. Unless what you mean is that the portingkit URL is free like Wine?

The Porting Kit app offered on Paul's site is free. It just automates the setup of the games supported by it, typically by using Wineskin wrapper it downloads for you for a particular game which it then prompts you for the location of its installer, runs that, etc. I didn't look but if his app already supports NWN it doesn't get any easier than that. Of course, if you are comfortable firing up Wineskin and doing it yourself then that is certainly just as good if not better.

#8 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Just in case any of you missed it and want a free copy of the complete first NWN experience, it is free on GOG for the next 37 hours as of this posting...

Already got it. Those were the PPC days.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM

iMac 27" with Retina Display (Late 2015)
Core i5 3,3 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 2 TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB VRAM

Both running OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Now playing: Life Is Strange

Looking forward to: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Nintendo NX

#9 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Here is one easy solution:

http://paulthetall.c...ter-nights-mac/

Paul the Tall's wrapper works excellently with the exception that I'm unable to get the in-game antialiasing working on Intel HD 4000 hardware. Is the AA working for anyone out there?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#10 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

I have an existing install of NWN on my PC that wont work in full screen (which drives me batty - its a refresh rate issue);

My Mac is more than capable of running it in Wineskin...

Is there a way to just drop my existing install into a Wineskin wrapper and run it ?  I only ask because i have a LOT of custom overrides and content in there that i dont want to try moving, nor do i have the GoG Diamond Installer (this install has been traveling around my various computers since the PPC days..) available.  

<--- has no idea how to do anything with Wine/Wineskin.

Edit: Or, is there a way to make Paul's wrapper work with my existing install?

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 December 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

I have an existing install of NWN on my PC that wont work in full screen (which drives me batty - its a refresh rate issue);

My Mac is more than capable of running it in Wineskin...

Is there a way to just drop my existing install into a Wineskin wrapper and run it ?  I only ask because i have a LOT of custom overrides and content in there that i dont want to try moving, nor do i have the GoG Diamond Installer (this install has been traveling around my various computers since the PPC days..) available.  

<--- has no idea how to do anything with Wine/Wineskin.

Edit: Or, is there a way to make Paul's wrapper work with my existing install?

I sent you a message with a GOG code I grabbed while they were giving them away. Rereading your post I realize when you said overrides you must be talking about changes to NWN, etc. along with the added content (mods I imagine) that you have setup. While Wineskin will copy in an install I think, there is the issue of whether or not a given game runs any supporting installers for some DirectX libraries or whatever. So, you might want to get NWN Diamond from GOG so you have a DRM free Windows installer now and use it for this and then just copy your install right on top of the .app Wineskin sets up in the relevant folder within the ,app and you'll be gtg aside of any resolution adjustments, etc. Hope that helps.

I was confused by the term overrides initially by the way as it is also a term used for some Wine settings changes.

#12 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

Posting this here in case someone has run into this issue, but I'll create an account and post in the portingkit forums if not.

Here's the thing - I'm using my iMac as a wifi hotspot in order to give us better wifi coverage throughout the house.  Works really well for the most part (it will occasionally stop acting as a hotspot, but the fix is simply turning wifi off then on again in preferences).   I've installed NWN:Diamond using portingkit and it seems to work, though I haven't progressed much beyond character creation.  I've launched it twice now and, after quitting back to the desktop, I've noticed that my iMac wifi hotspot is down.  I've gone to preferences to turn it off and on again (which is usually all it takes), but that doesn't work.  It appears that I no longer have an IP address  so I renew the DHCP lease. Still no IP address.  The only thing I've found that works is doing a complete restart of the computer.  

So, as a networking noob, is NWN trying to grab a port or something and that messes up the IP address? Or is this the typical, "O HAI, I'm WINDOZE. UR compuper needz to be firetrucked in some mysterious fashion so I'll do that in the background for no apparent reason.  KTHXBAI!"  

Any thoughts?  It's not the worst of problems, but it seems so weird that NWN would do anything with my network settings as a matter of course.

#13 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

Tried legacy port kit thing, but when it was installing I got memory leaks so I think I messed up the install when it came to the wrapper. I guess I have to do some more research on a wrapper for the gog edition if I don't have that problem compared to Paul the Tall's porting kit.
What is a man?

#14 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 December 2016 - 12:43 AM, said:

I sent you a message with a GOG code I grabbed while they were giving them away. Rereading your post I realize when you said overrides you must be talking about changes to NWN, etc. along with the added content (mods I imagine) that you have setup. While Wineskin will copy in an install I think, there is the issue of whether or not a given game runs any supporting installers for some DirectX libraries or whatever. So, you might want to get NWN Diamond from GOG so you have a DRM free Windows installer now and use it for this and then just copy your install right on top of the .app Wineskin sets up in the relevant folder within the ,app and you'll be gtg aside of any resolution adjustments, etc. Hope that helps.

I was confused by the term overrides initially by the way as it is also a term used for some Wine settings changes.

Thanks for the code, helped a lot....

But...

Porting Kit just doesn't function.  

Ill install NWN the first time, edit the .ini file as needed (to remove the movies), and itll run the very first time i start the game.  Runs fine, performance is good even at 1440p.

The moment i close the game, though, that's that.  It will not open again. Ever.  

If i pull up Activity monitor, it says that a process for NWN DIamond is running, and consuming 99% of a CPU core....

But nadda.  Nothing.  

If i delete it and re-install it, itll run the first time.  Results are 100% repeatable.

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

That sounds like a wine process didn't exit. I remember having to kill those from time to time, particularly when I was fiddling around creating new wrappers for games and needing to repeatedly restart to test changes, etc. If you haven't already, check for any process with wine in its name, I seem to recall two of them run but maybe it is just one. Kill anything related to wine and I suspect the game will start fine. It might not be exiting cleanly for some reason.

#16 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 December 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

That sounds like a wine process didn't exit. I remember having to kill those from time to time, particularly when I was fiddling around creating new wrappers for games and needing to repeatedly restart to test changes, etc. If you haven't already, check for any process with wine in its name, I seem to recall two of them run but maybe it is just one. Kill anything related to wine and I suspect the game will start fine. It might not be exiting cleanly for some reason.

I thought i'd gotten them all, but ill give it a go.  

The biggest reason i th ink this isn't it, is that the very first thing i did was restart the computer.  That should have killed them all, yes?

#17 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 December 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

I thought i'd gotten them all, but ill give it a go.  

The biggest reason i th ink this isn't it, is that the very first thing i did was restart the computer.  That should have killed them all, yes?

Actually yeah, I didn't pick up on that when you mentioned it. I'd figure it would kill them. I guess I'd check anyway though. If no joy with that, you might head over to the forums for Wineskin and post about this issue as the developer may have some insight into what is going on and how to fix it. I'm in Windows all the time now just about but I recall running it with Wineskin and not having the problem you're seeing. Of course, that was some time ago so who knows if some change to macOS or something is at play there.

#18 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

The only reason im trying to wrap it is because it wont run on my WIndows machine.  NWN freaks out because my monitor isnt "Actually" 60hz (it fluctuates between 61hz and 59.9hz), so NWN is blurry and has that weird CRT-on-TV look.  It's the ONLY game that does this.  Everything else works fine.  

If i could figure out how to fix that on WIndows, i wouldnt need to use my Mac for it.

#19 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 December 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but since I had memory leaks in the legacy version of the porting kit, don't I have to delete neverwinter nights then launch the two main files that make the bulk of the GOG version? Or is their certain type of files I have to look in All My Files tab/section of my Harddrive?

I am using Lion for this, so I was wondering. Or can't I make a wrapper with wineskin? I believe the mac release of Dark Mod requires a wrapper that comes with it, and that works, so I know that Wine can work under 10.7.5.
What is a man?

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

As I recall when I did a wrapper for NWN I just had it fire up the launcher and started the game in the usual way from that. I'm pretty sure that is how I'd set it up and it was fine.