DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1410 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

I exported everything out of Photos, processed the mess with Gemini which worked really well in helping me cleanup both duplicates and lookalikes. I was impressed other than the stupid achievements they stuck in the most recent version. Achievements in a utility app? Seriously? Whatever. That's dumb but the app is otherwise great.

Anyway, I have never liked the proprietary way in which Apple applications tend to suck your data into various libraries. I understand the reasoning behind it and ultimately they do make it simple to export so not a big deal but I moved all my photos to OneDrive for safekeeping for the time being along with all family videos. Other misc pics, screenshots of games and whatnot I like to keep separated out completely from "real" photos.

What do you guys like to use for photo library management and viewing. Editing is not important here so long as access is simple for another app. Of course, if some basic editing is included that's great.

Ideally, I would like this to be cross platform at least to Mac and Windows but a solution that also works with Linux would be cool. That's not a big deal, just something that would be nice.

I am aware of the mighty GIMP. I will look at this beast for editing but it is probably huge overkill and complexity I want to avoid for my simple purposes.

In the end, I might be happy with the image editing and filters stuff I can do right on my iPad. I can grab photos from OneDrive, work on them and then stick them back up there. You can view stuff there which is nice. Windows 10 probably has something for image viewing built in. I haven't gotten around to looking yet.

I think I was really all over the place rambling just now. Please excuse that. It is coffee time here and yet I seem a little out to lunch already. Any suggestions you guys have would be most welcome. I always enjoy hearing how you do stuff. Thanks.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3272 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

I don't think I've used a traditional photo viewing application like iPhoto for years. I just keep all of my photos in the cloud with Google Photos and then are viewable from all of my devices plus they are backed up.

In regards to desktop photo applications. Picasa used to be a good multi-platform option but Google has end of lifed it. I'm not aware of any newer options that are multi-platform.

In Windows 10 the good old Windows Photo Viewer application is still around. Just change it to your default photo application so you don't have to deal with their awful Photos app.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || RX 480 8GB (mining) || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: 28" 4K FreeSync Monitor || PS4 Pro || QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

Google, Windows. It all sounds gross. I keep all my photos on film strips in the root cellar.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17317 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

My childhood photos were never chipped free of the cave wall they were chiseled on.  I have to travel to Mesopotamia if I want to look at them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

I used to use Picassa many moons ago. It was a very nice application and I think when it first came out there wasn't anything decent like it.

I'll have to employ the mighty google to see what might be out there. Any sort of app that can view a bunch of photos and maybe order them by their dates, metadata or whatever would be cool. I'll find something.

I'll have to check Google's current photos thing. I seem to recall a cost associated with that related to low res vs high res originals being stored in the cloud or something. I am already paying now for Office 365 and OneDrive is it for me and the cloud as far as paying for anything. Fortunately, my limited use of DropBox for Tap Forms database and YNAB for the time being until I move over to their web version is well under the free 2 GB limit so that works out well.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 July 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

My childhood photos were never chipped free of the cave wall they were chiseled on.  I have to travel to Mesopotamia if I want to look at them.

Little known historical trivia is that the first and second Gulf War were actually due to tBC making trips to view his family cave drawing albums.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:41 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 July 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

I think the B-52's did a song about this. Yes, I am pretty sure they did.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17317 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

View PostFrost, on 22 July 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Little known historical trivia is that the first and second Gulf War were actually due to tBC making trips to view his family cave drawing albums.

It had been a while since I visited my album, who gave those Beduins guns??  

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 23 July 2016 - 11:41 PM, said:

I think the B-52's did a song about this. Yes, I am pretty sure they did.

Wait what? The B-52's did a song about giving the Beduins guns?  

I use iDrive to backup my entire Photos library.  I avoid messing with the vast sea of Photos bric-a-bric.  If I wanted to remove them in an organized fashion to store on iDrive without Photos libraries, I would open Photos, drag the already organized Photo album's picture's into a desktop folder of the same name, all those folders go into a folder named, say, "My Pictures".  Once, removed from Photos and stripped of the library structure, the folder of folders can go again to iDrive.  You can access them from any platform from then on.  

The time hasn't come yet but this is how I plan to do this if I want my pictures on my PC.  Not at all likely, as I'm only gaming on that machine, but who knows what the future will bring.  I might be running some software we need that is not written for Mac OS.

IDrive is written for Windows, Mac, Linux, and mobile.  I have no experience with PC photo editors.  I use Photoshop Elements to edit.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Most excellent music appreciation time!

https://www.youtube....h?v=0FyLcHxbSRk

The one and only fabulous B-52's amazing, "Mesopotamia!"

You're welcome.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17317 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Thanks!  Before I reply I should read a book.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat