108 replies to this topic

#101 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

Amazon has Gigabyte G1 Gaming (factory overclocked) cards for only a slight markup (about 30$):

https://www.amazon.c...-bin:6147187011

And NewEgg has the ASUS Strix card for MSRP:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814126106

If you wanted to grab one of them now.  

Also, Microcenter is having a Build Your Own PC sale this week - the Core i5 6600K is down to 209$ in-store and the i7 6700K is down to 309$ in-store.  Lots of other parts on sale too.  

If there's one nearby, now might not be a bad time.

#102 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Heh, those all sold out in the few hours since i posted them.  

I just put in an order for the MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR OC - it -might- be just a smidge too large for my case (EVGA says the Hadron Air supports 10.5" cards, but there are pics on Reddit of people fitting 11.3" cards like the 980Ti Kingpin in it, with a slight modification of the case (slicing off a ledge that isn't needed for anything) so it SHOULD fit as it is 11" (but i may have to make that cut).  

If it *doesn't*, i'd be happy to pass it along to you for what i paid for it - 700$ (the MSRP) and the cost of shipping.  Itll be unused and only have been unboxed to see if it will fit.  

It will fit in the Manta you're looking at no problems.

#103 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17287 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

You know what?  I'm going to need this thing assembled by someone who knows what the frak they are doing, then shipped to me.  I started looking at directions for building your own PC and I have very little idea of what they were talking about.  I might be able to assemble the parts but I have no inkling of how to convert it from a virtual toaster into an operational PC.  Setting up BIOS and the like... totally frickin' clueless.  I am most likely going to need a tech to assemble it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#104 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

It really isn't that hard.  I made my wife build her own rig, and she'd never worked with any computer parts before.  

EFI/BIOS are not scary.  These days they are GUI driven and you can change anything you need with a few clicks.  Installing Windows is as simple as putting in a thumb drive and clicking "install".

#105 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 July 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

You know what?  I'm going to need this thing assembled by someone who knows what the frak they are doing, then shipped to me.  I started looking at directions for building your own PC and I have very little idea of what they were talking about.  I might be able to assemble the parts but I have no inkling of how to convert it from a virtual toaster into an operational PC.  Setting up BIOS and the like... totally frickin' clueless.  I am most likely going to need a tech to assemble it.

You underestimate yourself. You are a smart guy and can learn anything you want to. Tetsuya is right. It isn't rocket science but I do understand it can seem mystifying at first simply because it is unfamiliar. All you need is an operational computer handy to access the web for info, advice here, etc. and you'll be golden. You'll learn some new stuff and you'll feel proud of yourself for building your own awesome rig. I would encourage you not to sell yourself short here. You can do this! I believes in you!

Don't make me come to your house in my cheerleader outfit and start with the pom-poms and stuff! You do not want to see that. It is one of those things that once seen can never be unseen.

In related news...

I just spent two entire full days and nights working on a 2009 eMachines PC with a 1.6 GHz AMD something or other CPU, 1 gig of RAM, a busted DVD drive a bunch of USB 1 ports which I think are not powered? It was a nightmare I tell you. It was the stuff of Stephen King scary books. I'll make a separate post about it elsewhere with all the gory details. The short version: this intrepid tech of sorts did persevere and prevail despite the best efforts of the evil ones to stop me. I raised the eMachine from the dead and it didn't cost a nickel either.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#106 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:43 PM

So, got the 1080 ARMOR OC, dremeled the (useless) lip off the case...

Still wouldnt quite fit (the prongs that you screw down to the PCIe slot stuck out like 2mm too far)......

So, i removed the plate itself, put the plate in, slid the GPU in (very tight fit), and screwed the plate back on.  Wee!

One teeny-tiny problem.  The PCB is so wide, that with the 8 and 6 pin power plugs in, the side of the case wont go back on because the cables protrude too far.  

Now i need to find some power plug extensions that are low-profile/90-degree angled so they lie flat.  

Anyone got any ideas?  (And boy does this thing zoom... Witcher 3 @ 1440p and a solid 60fps with everything cranked up.)

#107 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17287 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

So... are you building my computer?  You guys told me to do it myself, I've already contracted with Frost's business to build it for me!  If you are, then I'm in a pickle.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#108 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

Sounds like Frost has you covered.  

I ordered the part for my personal rig (which is very small), i just wasn't sure it was going to fit, and was offering to pass it along at cost if it didn't.  Turns out it did.. (mostly) after a small case mod.  I just need the right-angle power plugs to get the side back on.  

Frost is probably better prepared to build it for you since he's actually got like.. a real honest to goodness business and all.  I do stuff in my spare time/as odd-jobs but i dont really have the resources to offer that kind of service through the mail (especially since i -really- dont like shipping PCs with the GPUs and CPU coolers mounted without the right kind of packaging to immobilize them, which i dont have).

Pic:
https://goo.gl/photo...wr8WuRw7v8zg3w5

That's what an 11.7" card stuffed into a space that is only "supposed" to fit 10.5" cards looks like.  Other than the power cables, fits fine.

#109 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17287 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Whew!  That's a relief.  We basically used the research you provided with only a couple of tweaks that you most likely would have done too as circumstances developed.  I really appreciate the help you gave me on this and none of your time went to waste.  I wish I could help you back.  Thank you Tetsuya!  

I get high with a little help from my friends!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat