2496 replies to this topic

#2481 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

DiRT Rally for Mac works great. But there are not several video settings (Advanced Ambient Occlusion, Smoke Shadows & Advanced Blending).

#2482 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

What would you recommend as input device for DiRT? I don't want to spend too much on a racing wheel or game pad. This is the only racing game I have.

#2483 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

...a racing wheel or a game pad. XBOX, PS3 or PS4 controllers should work. I don't know how much is "too much" for you but a gamepad will give a vastly better experience.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2484 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:15 AM

View PostTrautman, on 16 November 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

DiRT Rally for Mac works great. But there are not several video settings (Advanced Ambient Occlusion, Smoke Shadows & Advanced Blending).
I found a solution.
(My Account)/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/DiRT Rally/VFS/User/AppData/Roaming/My Games/DiRT Rally/hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml

dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="false" -> dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="true" (<- Advanced Ambient Occlusion)
avsm enabled="false" -> avsm enabled="true"  (<- Smoke Shadows)
aoit enabled="false" (<- Advanced Blending stays false. It drops fps.)

Save & lock hardware_settings_config.xml

#2485 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

Did you switch off the recommended graphics settings?

#2486 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 17 November 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Did you switch off the recommended graphics settings?
Yes. I removed the check.

#2487 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

Amazingly my second hand Logitech Momo still works with DIRT and F1 2017 (as it does with the earlier Feral games) - think it only cost me about 40.00 or so.. you really need to spend a lot more for a new wheel of the same quality.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#2488 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

View Postmattw, on 17 November 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

Amazingly my second hand Logitech Momo still works with DIRT and F1 2017 (as it does with the earlier Feral games) - think it only cost me about 40.00 or so.. you really need to spend a lot more for a new wheel of the same quality.

My brother has the same wheel, it's neat. Tried to convince him of getting one of the new Feral-ported racing games, he rather sticks to Forza Horizon 3 through Boot Camp though. That however gave him some headache.. :wall:  Shouldn't a Microsoft-developed game running on a Microsoft OS not make any problems? Makes me think even higher of macOS and the great work Feral does. :)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors)— 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine
iMac— 233 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 128 MB RAM | 4 GB HDD

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB

iPod touch — 8 GB

Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel

Plus some other old Macs and iPods not used for current or legacy games...

#2489 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

DiRT Rally is also out on the Mac App Store now...

I wonder if we're going to get 'DX:MD' this year, after all it's been a year since the Linux release and Metal 2 should help immensely.

#2490 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

Apparently, the Mac version of the game can't be set to windowed mode. The PC version can. :unsure:
While the game runs fine (and it should, as I basically have the fastest Mac), performance under boot camp is 30-50% better.

#2491 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostTrautman, on 16 November 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Smoke Shadows & Advanced Blending are special Windows specific features written by Intel that are not exposed on Mac OS X.

I don't recall exactly why Advanced Ambient Occlusion isn't available right now but it's either also an Intel feature like above or the it could have been causing GPU restarts / kernel panics and would have been removed for stability reasons.

View Postjeannot, on 17 November 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Apparently, the Mac version of the game can't be set to windowed mode. The PC version can. :unsure:
While the game runs fine (and it should, as I basically have the fastest Mac), performance under boot camp is 30-50% better.

Our application takes advantage of running in "detached mode" so that the window compositor is bypassed which should result in a smoother experience. A requirement on running in detached mode is that the application is fullscreen. As soon as you enable Windowed mode you can't use detached mode.

With regards to performance, I would be interested as to which GPU you are testing on, for AMD GPUs anything below 20% performance disparity is very unusual for us to see on any of our Metal games. Depending on the setting, if framerate is above 120fps (which is quite possible on DiRT Rally with it's engine), we are capped at 120 by the OS, irrespective of the Vsync interval or cap set by the application, which would massively skew comparisons to Windows at lower settings.

With recommended mode we run a stable and consistent capped framerate in all scenarios, and we have done this for every single supported Mac in the range, which we see as far more important that maximum framerate, when running on a 60Hz screen. By making the frame rate stable and not rendering frames you'll never see on a 60Hz screen it allows us to thermal temperatures down which in turn means you'll get consistent performance over extended gameplay. This means a cooler Mac and your batteries will last longer too if you're a laptop.

If you think you have a bug with DiRT Rally then please do contact our support with a support report attached and we'll investigate your issue.

#2492 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 November 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Smoke Shadows & Advanced Blending are special Windows specific features written by Intel that are not exposed on Mac OS X.

I don't recall exactly why Advanced Ambient Occlusion isn't available right now but it's either also an Intel feature like above or the it could have been causing GPU restarts / kernel panics and would have been removed for stability reasons.

Our application takes advantage of running in "detached mode" so that the window compositor is bypassed which should result in a smoother experience. A requirement on running in detached mode is that the application is fullscreen. As soon as you enable Windowed mode you can't use detached mode.

With regards to performance, I would be interested as to which GPU you are testing on, for AMD GPUs anything below 20% performance disparity is very unusual for us to see on any of our Metal games. Depending on the setting, if framerate is above 120fps (which is quite possible on DiRT Rally with it's engine), we are capped at 120 by the OS, irrespective of the Vsync interval or cap set by the application, which would massively skew comparisons to Windows at lower settings.

With recommended mode we run a stable and consistent capped framerate in all scenarios, and we have done this for every single supported Mac in the range, which we see as far more important that maximum framerate, when running on a 60Hz screen. By making the frame rate stable and not rendering frames you'll never see on a 60Hz screen it allows us to thermal temperatures down which in turn means you'll get consistent performance over extended gameplay. This means a cooler Mac and your batteries will last longer too if you're a laptop.

If you think you have a bug with DiRT Rally then please do contact our support with a support report attached and we'll investigate your issue.

Nice to see a Feral developer respond in such great detail. That happening more often would be highly appreciated!
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors)— 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPad — 16 GB

iPod touch — 8 GB

#2493 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Thx for your info. I understand.

#2494 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

With regards to performance, I would be interested as to which GPU you are testing on, for AMD GPUs anything below 20% performance disparity is very unusual for us to see on any of our Metal games.
The 30-40% performance advantage under Windows matches my observations, though. I also tested other resolutions than mentioned in that post, but the difference remains more or less the same.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2495 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, Edwin.

But what you say has been true for most games since OSX 10.6, and these games still have a windowed mode (I never noticed a performance difference between modes, btw).
Is there a particular issue with windowed mode in DiRT?

With regards to performance, I would be interested as to which GPU you are testing on, for AMD GPUs anything below 20% performance disparity is very unusual for us to see on any of our Metal games.

Radeon Pro 580. I'm getting ~55fps on high settings at 1440p (Vsync interval set to 0) vs 80+ fps on Windows 1709 with crimson drivers 17.11.1. At 4k, I recall the difference is 32 fps vs 45 fps. I tested several times on both OSes.

Depending on the setting, if framerate is above 120fps (which is quite possible on DiRT Rally with it's engine), we are capped at 120 by the OS, irrespective of the Vsync interval or cap set by the application, which would massively skew comparisons to Windows at lower settings.

I thought the game wasn't capped at 120 fps, since (as Brad told me) it uses OpenGL for the display like Hitman, which isn't capped. I'm going to check again.

EDIT: yep, I just did a test at low resolution and the max fps was >180.

This need not be true for all Macs though. If the game is indeed capped to 120 fps on some setups, these may be using Metal for the display.

#2496 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

So Edwin... do the performance reports above look normal? :unsure:

EDIT: I've determined that MSAA hurst performance a lot on the Mac. The fps difference with Windows is ~20% if MSAA is off, and 100% (windows being 2X faster) if MSAA is set to 8X.
Also, Windows has other AA types not available on the Mac.

#2497 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted Today, 10:08 AM

Aaaand Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is on sale again, a whopping 85 % off. This is hard.

iPad — 16 GB

iPod touch — 8 GB