15 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:20 AM

In a recent post to its website Feral Interactive announced that the Mac version of Bioshock is now shipping. The first person adventure title drops players into the undersea world of Rapture where they must avoid being killed by the bizarre denizens of the city while seeking a way to escape.

Hello there, little fish. We're pleased to announce that Bioshock for Mac has emerged dripping from the murky waters of development, and is now shipping worldwide from the webstore and all good Mac game retailers. Don't worry, we towelled it down first.

Bioshock drops you into the failed utopia of Rapture, a city built beneath the waves and filled with advanced technology, beautiful art deco styling, and some seriously unhinged inhabitants. When genetic enhancements got out of hand, the city started to fall apart. Now at war with itself, Rapture may have found its saviour in the form of an unexpected visitor — you.

More information about the game:
BioShock introduces gamers to an exciting world filled with fascinating characters, intelligent enemies and complex moral choices that define the foundation of the game’s world. With its rich story, meticulous attention to visual detail, tense action and infinite replay value, BioShock delivers the perfect blend of storytelling and first-person action.

Barely surviving a plane crash, the player lands in icy uncharted waters and discovers the undersea city of Rapture, a failed utopia whose citizens had embraced genetic engineering before descending into pure anarchy. Power and greed have run amok and the city has succumbed to civil war. To survive, gamers must turn everything they find into a weapon, use their powers of observation to piece together what happened and make the difficult decisions necessary in order to escape a paradise gone badly wrong.

Fans have embraced BioShock’s mysterious world filled with powerful technology and creative gameplay. BioShock is also renowned for its rich visual detail depicting a gorgeous Art Deco world set deep beneath the sea.

Minimum System Requirements:
  • 1.8 GHz Intel Mac
  • 1.5 GB RAM
  • 128 MB graphics card
  • DVD drive
  • 8 GB of hard disk space
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later.
  • The game does not support Intel GMA integrated video chipsets, but does run on the latest generation of MacBooks and Mac Minis.
BioShock is rated M by the ESRB. It is available in North America for US $49.95, £34.99 (inc. VAT) in the UK and €39.95 (inc. VAT) throughout Europe. A demo of the game is also in progress.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

...just finished installing. Be back to gloat... if I do leave Rapture...

UPDATE: Alright. Back from playing for a few hours. Everything's beautiful on my setup and the game is intriguing. I've got a 16:10 ration widescreen monitor that maxes out at 1680x1050. For most of my FPS gaming it seems like overkill since the textures usually don't look any better (to me!) so I set it, as I set CoD4, Quake 4, etc., to 1280x800.

I've also played a little of the XBOX 360 version and PS3 demo. The introduction in this version seems to be (seems to be? No, it is...) a video rather than using the engine to render the beginning scene of your character on board the plane. If the console versions use a similar approach to the introduction then I have been pleasantly fooled by their ability to handle high resolution video. The only reason I can think of for this being the approach for the Mac (and I can only assume, the Wintel) version is to address all of the different monitor resolutions and ratios (well, the many more than televisions). Don't worry... once the intro plays out you will find yourself soon in the visually stunning world of Rapture! The water effects are the best I've ever seen on any computer game I've played!

One side note is that I have a Razer Diamondback and even setting the mouse sensitivity to 1 (the lowest) I have to take care to stay calm when enemies surprise me or I end up shooting my view around- you don't want to do that in this game, if tact is not utilized you will die quickly! That being noted, I'd like to be able to implement Smooth Mouse which, come to think of it, might be accessible via the BioShock.ini (MouseSensitivity=1.000000), but you didn't hear that from me. ;)

Have fun!

UPDATE #2: After playing for awhile I switched to 1680x1050 and the game does look better- not just the edges but I can only imagine that the use of vertex shaders (correct me if I'm wrong) allow the detail to scale up with the resolution. Another interesting tidbit I ran into @ http://www.tweakguid...Bioshock_9.html:

BioShock and Dual/Multi-Core CPUs

Something that will come as good news to dual or quad core CPU owners is that BioShock is a game which is specifically designed to properly utilize multi-core CPUs. Running it on my dual core system, I notice both cores are at times reaching close to 100% each, which marks the first time I've seen a game actually using the CPU to its limits. This means that if you're after a performance boost in BioShock, and indeed other upcoming titles especially those based on the Unreal Engine 3.0, then you should seriously consider a multi-core CPU and not just focus on upgrading the graphics card alone.

Unreal Engine 3.0 looks niiiice...

http://www.tweakguid...Bioshock_5.html:

Antialiasing Support: By default BioShock does not support any Antialiasing (AA) to smooth out jagged lines. The reason the game doesn't support AA natively is because it uses a form of rendering called Deferred Lighting

This sounds interesting, too (from http://www.tweakguid...Bioshock_8.html):

[Havok]

HavokNumThreads=2

BioShock benefits significantly from running on a multi-core CPU (See Conclusion section). This setting controls the maximum number of separate 'threads' on which the Havok physics engine may run. For example if you have a dual core CPU, this should be set to 2; if you have a quad core CPU try setting this to 4. However you cannot force the physics engine to run more threads than you have physical cores.

I've already changed it to "4" and am about to try it... see you soon!
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

I want to know how it runs on a 2.16/X1600 MBP!

I soooo want to play this game...
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#4 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

As a MacBook Air user I need to await the rumored downloadable version--but sooner or later, this is on my list for sure :)

(When my HD died and I was able to boot wirelessly from the DVD and access Disk Utility, I knew I'd never justify paying $99 for an optical drive to collect dust. But even if I did, I wouldn't lug the thing along on the road--which is exactly when I game on my Air. Which can't actually PLAY BioShock, but newer Airs can, and I'll be upgrading to one of them.)

#5 BartTheScientist

BartTheScientist

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Be aware that there is an issue with snow leopard nvidia drivers that makes this game stutter and become almost unplayable on my MacBook pro 17 mid 2009. Here is the email I got from Feral:

The problem is related to the NVidia drivers that were release in 10.6. We have have done all that we can to try and improve the stuttering over the past few weeks with these drivers and have manged to develop an interim patch that we hope to release in the following few days. Although this will not cure the problem entirely, it should make the game playable until 10.6.2 is released.

I'm sorry i have no better news for you in this situation, but please be assured that we have been trying our hardest to work around this problem, but unfortunately the problem with the graphics card drivers on these machines is so sever that there is little more we can do until they are roll'ed back.

Kindest Regards,

Jonathan Barry
Feral Interactive Support

#6 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

I thought Jon had made the above post. Said post could really do with some better formatting...

[Edit - Fooled me too, I checked BartTheScientist's email to see if he was from Feral then I reread it more carefully.  I added a quote tag to his post. - tBC]
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#7 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

So 10.6.2 should bring new video drivers. I want to try Bioshock demo if/when it will be available.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13” Touch Bar 2017 i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Mantiz Venus eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
LG 34” 34UC88 Ultrawide Display
Steelseries Rival 700, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism

#8 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on October 23rd 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

1280x800 @ medium should be playable as long as the port was optimized sufficiently.

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on October 23rd 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

Feral said that a demo should be out soon, so you'll be able to give that a try
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#10 BartTheScientist

BartTheScientist

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

Sorry about the lack of quotes in my earlier post - my only excuse is that I was posting from the iPhone.  The good news is that I'm running Bioshock while booted to an external disk with 10.5.8 installed and it really really rocks.  The graphics and all the little details of rapture are truly stunning.  :)  That'll do until Feral releases the patch and/or Apple fixes the NVIDIA drivers in 10.6.2.  I really think the performance is great and as good or better than when I started playing it under bootcamp and gave up because of the persistent blue screening/crashing.  So I guess put off that snow leopard update just a little longer if you have a choice!!

#11 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

Well I've put Bioshock down on my letter to Santa ;)

#12 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

Come on Feral , time to finally release Rome Total War now!
Credit card at the ready........
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#13 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on October 23rd 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

[Havok]

HavokNumThreads=2

BioShock benefits significantly from running on a multi-core CPU (See Conclusion section). This setting controls the maximum number of separate 'threads' on which the Havok physics engine may run. For example if you have a dual core CPU, this should be set to 2; if you have a quad core CPU try setting this to 4. However you cannot force the physics engine to run more threads than you have physical cores.

I've already changed it to "4" and am about to try it... see you soon!
This WORKS! I don't know if the game has any way of recognizing the amount of cores you have but this stayed at "2" after playing a couple of times (I've a Quad-core in case you haven't perused my sig). I changed it to "4" and noticed a VERY significant performance increase at the max resolution my monitor can handle (1680x1050)! I made sure to lock the file via the Finder so the game doesn't change it back.

If anyone has an 8-core setup try "8" and let us know!

macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

I got my copy in the mail today.... I have to wait until my new 27 inch iMac comes in next month though.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#15 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on October 24th 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

This WORKS! I don't know if the game has any way of recognizing the amount of cores you have but this stayed at "2" after playing a couple of times (I've a Quad-core in case you haven't perused my sig). I changed it to "4" and noticed a VERY significant performance increase at the max resolution my monitor can handle (1680x1050)! I made sure to lock the file via the Finder so the game doesn't change it back.

If anyone has an 8-core setup try "8" and let us know!

I have 8-core = 16 core thanks to hyperthreading  :-) I will try.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13” Touch Bar 2017 i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Mantiz Venus eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
LG 34” 34UC88 Ultrawide Display
Steelseries Rival 700, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism

#16 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

View Postikir, on October 25th 2009, 05:47 AM, said:

I have 8-core = 16 core thanks to hyperthreading  :-) I will try.
Perhaps you bypassed this part of the quote(?); However you cannot force the physics engine to run more threads than you have physical cores.