Cosmic Frontier Override (Escape Velocity Override)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:13 AM

The original scenario designer for EV: Override pitched a remake of the game on Kickstarter as Cosmic Frontier: Override. (The name change was necessary because Matt Burch, who holds the copyright, is not on board – he is supportive of the project, though.)

The game will be moddable and the game engine will be released as open source after release.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 24 April 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

The original scenario designer for EV: Override pitched a remake of the game on Kickstarter as Cosmic Frontier: Override. (The name change was necessary because Matt Burch, who holds the copyright, is not on board – he is supportive of the project, though.)

The game will be moddable and the game engine will be released as open source after release.

Wow, very cool, especially the part that plugins should work with very little modification.

I don't quite understand why the original is not included. According to the FAQ, Matt Burch created the original...but he also was the programmer for Override. If he's supportive, why aren't both included?
Edit: Ah, Peter Cartright, one of the Kickstarter developers, was the scenario designer for Override... So I guess Matt was OK with him remaking his own game, but not Matt's...

IIRC you could play Override in the Nova engine, so maybe it won't matter. Someone will probably get EV and Nova up and running in this engine unofficially.

Speaking of Ambrosia games, what I'd back instantly is a Ferazel's Wand port. Not the same audience as EV, though. I think Richard mentioned the rights reverted to Ben Spees and he was thinking about doing something with it. Hope it happens.

#3 evopac

evopac

Evocation Games

• Developer
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

Hi. I am one of the developers of Cosmic Frontier: Override. Happy to answer any questions posters here may have about the project.

View PostCougar, on 24 April 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

don't quite understand why the original is not included. According to the FAQ, Matt Burch created the original...but he also was the programmer for Override. If he's supportive, why aren't both included?
We'd love to be remaking all the Escape Velocity games, and have had discussions with both Matt Burch and members of ATMOS (the makers of Nova), but for a range of reasons they were not interested in re-releasing their games at this time. However, since we intend to retain compatibility with the old resource structures, it would be a fairly straight-forward matter for them to be adapted to the new engine in the future. We will keep the door open to both Matt and ATMOS to reconsider.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6212 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 April 2020 - 01:12 AM

View Postevopac, on 25 April 2020 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hi. I am one of the developers of Cosmic Frontier: Override. Happy to answer any questions posters here may have about the project.

We'd love to be remaking all the Escape Velocity games, and have had discussions with both Matt Burch and members of ATMOS (the makers of Nova), but for a range of reasons they were not interested in re-releasing their games at this time. However, since we intend to retain compatibility with the old resource structures, it would be a fairly straight-forward matter for them to be adapted to the new engine in the future. We will keep the door open to both Matt and ATMOS to reconsider.
Hot damn!

Approved your ability to post. Welcome, sir!

I played the absolute popsnizzle out of EV: Override when I was a teen.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4353 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:43 AM

Indeed, the EV games were amazing.

I have officially stopped backing computer games on Kickstarter, but I will keep my wallet open for this one specifically as I want to see it succeed.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, Iím pretty reluctant to use it these days too... But I really want this, and this is literally the worst time to start a crowdfunding project.

#7 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

Backed! I absolutely loved these games. One of my favorite mods was a Star Wars one.

#8 evopac

evopac

Evocation Games

• Developer
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the new thread!

I've included some of our new concept art below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6212 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:50 AM

They're gettin' close!

Threw in some more dough and pushed them a little closer.

Now everybody who reads this better do the same or I'll ban you (not really (maybe)).
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2987 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:49 PM

Oh, what the heck. I pledged for a copy. I played the original for less than an hour, simply couldn't give it the time it deserved. The new one might be the same. But I backed it LEST ALL BEAUTY LEAVE THIS WORLD.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:26 PM

It's been funded. Not enough for any stretch goals, but they'll try to get updated graphics anyway.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"