Jump to content


Mac games on Kickstarter


  • Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostFrost, on 23 December 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

The Ouya is basically a very weak NVIDIA Shield with a way more uncomfortable controller and a total lack of portability.

The one good thing is it inspired this YouTube video that is still making me laugh after like 30 views.



Kickstarter, Early Access, Pre-orders, don't let them happen to you. Remember folks, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Insist on finished, tested and user reviewed excellent products. Accept no substitutes!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#182 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

That guy looked like he probably shot himself in the taint with a Colt .45 a few moments after the video stopped.  Now that's enthusiasm.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#183 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8472 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 28 July 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Kickstarter, …, don't let them happen to you. Remember folks, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!
I think it's a matter of picking the right projects. I have backed 15 Kickstarter campaigns, of which 8 have already delivered. Five of these were worth every cent spent on them: Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, SR Hong Kong, Elite Dangerous, and Pillars of Eternity. The seven projects still outstanding are either in the hands of developers who have proven their worth in earlier campaigns (Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera, BattleTech) and/or have by now otherwise shown they know what they are doing (Underworld Ascendant, Bloodstained, Kingdom Come, System Shock Remake).

Only three projects I would deem a dud: the Ouya (for being half-assed and shipping early production models known to be borderline defective to their backers), Star Command Galaxies (four years past due and probably still a couple of years away from being finished), and Mighty No. 9 (delayed, undercooked product, generally bad communication, no trace of the physical rewards, no sign of the Mac and Linux versions).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#184 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

    Uberspewer

  • IMG Writers
  • 2823 posts
  • Location:PA; US
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

I've had good luck too. The risk can be lessened greatly by being picky. You want experienced teams for anything big. Beware of stretch goals that are ambitious or that clash with the initial goal (ideally it'll be stuff that was in the original plan then taken out to reduce scope.) Ideally they've iterated on the design already and can be specific about things you will and won't get.

But the main thing is to treat it as an investment. Definitely not the same as pre-ordering. You might end up with a paperweight and angry people making snarky posts & videos about it, which come to think of it is probably worth a few bucks.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#185 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

It is an investment, and all investments involve risk.  Choose wisely.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#186 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Crowdfunding is not investment. It is patronage. Investment typically is allocation of money for an expected future return. People treat these like an investment/preorder/othersale/etc.... It's really fund me, I'll start working on it later, hopefully at some point you'll get a thing as gratitude.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing but there is a serious disconnect between creators and backers. Patronage models have existed for thousands of years. I suppose it kind of went away for a couple centuries and now it seems new and strange but it's been around forever. Kickstarter certainly doesn't seem to do much to dissuade this idea that kickstarter is a "store" other than 14 pages deep in a ToS nobody has read.

That said giving a crowdfunding project the same scrutiny you might give an investment would be sound operating procedure for yer wallet.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#187 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

    Uberspewer

  • IMG Writers
  • 2823 posts
  • Location:PA; US
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

"Investment" doesn't require that there be a return, though that is the most common meaning. Kickstarter backers are effectively angel investors, but backing a specific project rather than a startup company.

Patronage is also a good way to think of it, though to me patronage implies open-ended support of an artist, rather than of a particular project of theirs. But I suspect the dictionary would back up your interpretation.

Anyway, you and I agree on everything except the most precise word to use, so I'm just quibbling.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#188 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 July 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

I think it's a matter of picking the right projects. I have backed 15 Kickstarter campaigns, of which 8 have already delivered. Five of these were worth every cent spent on them: Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, SR Hong Kong, Elite Dangerous, and Pillars of Eternity. The seven projects still outstanding are either in the hands of developers who have proven their worth in earlier campaigns (Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera, BattleTech) and/or have by now otherwise shown they know what they are doing (Underworld Ascendant, Bloodstained, Kingdom Come, System Shock Remake).

Only three projects I would deem a dud: the Ouya (for being half-assed and shipping early production models known to be borderline defective to their backers), Star Command Galaxies (four years past due and probably still a couple of years away from being finished), and Mighty No. 9 (delayed, undercooked product, generally bad communication, no trace of the physical rewards, no sign of the Mac and Linux versions).

I wrote a lengthy rant about this stuff in general and thought better of it and deleted it.

I understand what you mean but I just don't care for the idea of kickstarter nor early access or pre-orders for that matter but to each their own. I can't begin to keep up with finished stuff myself never mind stuff that isn't.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#189 Cougar

Cougar

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I understand what you mean but I just don't care for the idea of kickstarter nor early access or pre-orders for that matter but to each their own. I can't begin to keep up with finished stuff myself never mind stuff that isn't.

To me epic backlogs, which I do have, don't really come into it. It's the fact that the games I enjoy most are by and large not being made anymore, and by contributing to kickstarters I am helping bringing them into being. This is why I'll avoid preorders, early access, and most non-sale purchases while still doing kickstarters.

#190 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8472 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I wrote a lengthy rant about this stuff in general and thought better of it and deleted it.

I understand what you mean but I just don't care for the idea of kickstarter nor early access or pre-orders for that matter but to each their own. I can't begin to keep up with finished stuff myself never mind stuff that isn't.
Well, if it helps: I agree with you on the matter of pre-orders and early access. Pre-ordering today is little more than a greedy publisher's way to rip off gullible gamers (along with ridiculous DLC schemes and microtransactions in full-priced games). And the idea of early access might have had some merits initially, but it pretty quickly became obvious that no one profits from it: neither the developers that do not get the steady revenue stream to help further development they had hoped for, nor the gamers that often are stuck with half-assed alpha versions without the prospect of ever getting a finished product. And it certainly doesn't help when triple-A developers abuse that idea to throw unfinished products on the market. The sooner the early access scheme goes the way of the dodo, the better for everyone involved.

I can also see that there is a considerable overlap between the problems with early access and crowdfunding. However, I don't think there is something inherently wrong with the idea of crowdfunding – if you choose the projects to support carefully, as mentioned. It certainly resulted in quite a couple of games (and other products) that probably never would have been made otherwise.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#191 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Yet another RPG classic returns: The Bard's Tale IV.


Bard's Tale IV Mac version delayed again :wacko:. At least we get the directors cut. Still no word on the Mac versions of Bard's Tale Trilogy, iirc a Mac version was specifically called out in one of the backer emails.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#192 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8472 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 18 February 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

Bard's Tale IV Mac version delayed again :wacko:. At least we get the directors cut.
…in June. :glare:

Quote

Still no word on the Mac versions of Bard's Tale Trilogy, iirc a Mac version was specifically called out in one of the backer emails.
Last official word I've seen (either on the inXile forums or Steam, can't remember) is that the Mac and Linux versions of the remasters are coming when they have finished the Thief of Fate… which is also delayed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#193 Cougar

Cougar

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:46 PM

A Directors cut of Bard’s Tale was inevitable. Was waiting for it anyway, even though I’m playing it on Windows. Though I’ll probably play the trilogy first...

#194 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4164 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Everspace 2 looks pretty darn sweet, and they are promising a Mac version! Has anyone tried the first game?


(Can I insert youtube videos directly into posts, and if so, how?)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#195 Spike

Spike

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

I looked at Everspace and did not like. However, I care about gameplay and do not care any, not one bit, not even glance at any story, which others here seem to care about.

#196 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 October 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Everspace 2 looks pretty darn sweet, and they are promising a Mac version! Has anyone tried the first game?

(Can I insert youtube videos directly into posts, and if so, how?)

I've had it in my wish(watch)list for eons... but everytime I think to buy it on one of their insane 90% off sales... I see that its just a situational shooter-in-space with zero story, zero real growth, no exploration one bit, and well ... 'meh'. When I want a good space sim, I want something I can just fly about doing my own thing, and get into trouble, and work my way out of... building my ship as I go. Everspace was none of those things from what I gathered by info. So if they are making a '2' ... eh... prolly just gonna be more of the same.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#197 RGoulder

RGoulder

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Location:Post-RISD

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:57 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 October 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Everspace 2 looks pretty darn sweet, and they are promising a Mac version! Has anyone tried the first game?


(Can I insert youtube videos directly into posts, and if so, how?)

Yeah I recently played the first one. Everspace is a a rogue like and that took a while to get used to. I'd get my ship kitted out with some good found gear only to die and have to start all over again with the starter gear, though credits you earn can be used to buy upgrades for your ship or a new type of ship if you have enough when you die. I liked my Colonial Scout ship that I unlocked the best. It came with a cloak which was cool, though I liked the loadout B that unlocked by reaching sector 4. A teleporter had so many more uses than the cloak had. Thats what I used to make it to the very end. I now have to get to the end multiple time and acquire "spoiler things." Something I am not sure I have the stomach for but I got 24 hours of gameplay from it for $11 so I am happy.

View PostFrigidman™, on 19 October 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

I've had it in my wish(watch)list for eons... but everytime I think to buy it on one of their insane 90% off sales... I see that its just a situational shooter-in-space with zero story, zero real growth, no exploration one bit, and well ... 'meh'. When I want a good space sim, I want something I can just fly about doing my own thing, and get into trouble, and work my way out of... building my ship as I go. Everspace was none of those things from what I gathered by info. So if they are making a '2' ... eh... prolly just gonna be more of the same.

Everspace did have a story, as you progress further your character basically start to remember more about who he is, and we the player start to understand why this game is a rogue like. You also could encounter NPCs that gave you quests and gave you some additional ways to make credits.

Now Everspace 2 is not going to be a rogue like like the first one. From the Kickstarter:

Quote

EVERSPACE 2 is a fast-paced single-player space shooter with deep exploration, tons of loot, classic RPG elements for PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and console (PS4 and XB1). Set in a persistent open world, it is driven by a captivating sci-fi story, picking up shortly after the events of the predecessor. An approximately 20-hour-long campaign and various side missions will lead you into the endgame. Prepare yourself to beat the most vicious encounters, and master difficult challenges which will reward you with that juicy epic loot!

Imagine a Hack & Slash Action-RPG with all the bells and whistles: classes, random loot, skills, talents, and more... but in space

So it might be more of what you're looking for than the first one was. :)

A demo of Everspace 2 has been making its rounds to streamers on youtube and twitch, https://www.youtube....h?v=m0txOFJ8g8s

#198 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

View PostRGoulder, on 20 October 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Yeah I recently played the first one. Everspace is a a rogue like and that took a while to get used to. I'd get my ship kitted out with some good found gear only to die and have to start all over again with the starter gear, though credits you earn can be used to buy upgrades for your ship or a new type of ship if you have enough when you die. I liked my Colonial Scout ship that I unlocked the best. It came with a cloak which was cool, though I liked the loadout B that unlocked by reaching sector 4. A teleporter had so many more uses than the cloak had. Thats what I used to make it to the very end. I now have to get to the end multiple time and acquire "spoiler things." Something I am not sure I have the stomach for but I got 24 hours of gameplay from it for $11 so I am happy.



Everspace did have a story, as you progress further your character basically start to remember more about who he is, and we the player start to understand why this game is a rogue like. You also could encounter NPCs that gave you quests and gave you some additional ways to make credits.

Now Everspace 2 is not going to be a rogue like like the first one. From the Kickstarter:



So it might be more of what you're looking for than the first one was. :)

A demo of Everspace 2 has been making its rounds to streamers on youtube and twitch, https://www.youtube....h?v=m0txOFJ8g8s

So uh ... "what is rogue like" ......

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#199 RGoulder

RGoulder

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Location:Post-RISD

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 October 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

So uh ... "what is rogue like" ......

Wikipedia defines a Roguelike or rogue-like as:

Quote

...a subgenre of role-playing video game characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character.

Now Everspace doesn't have turn based gameplay or tile-based gameplay but permadeath is there, aka back to the start you go with each death, as well as procedurally generated sectors, all but the final one, which is always the same.

They ditched the permadeath in Everspace 2 and made it more like "Diablo" in space. Customize your ship with gear, and apparently the ships will be modular so you can add different looking cockpits, wings, engines, as you find them, all with different stats. To me the game looks good.

Everspace 2 Vlog02 Player Ships:https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be