jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:17 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 January 2021 - 03:44 AM, said:

Win only, but a good offer:

5 Hitman games for ~15$ on GOG. I think this is a one-time use code, so let us know if someone has used it.

Hitman 1 + 2 + 3 + Absolution + Blood Money

Those are some fantastic games. I did already own them on physical discs, but last summer I also got the digital releases on GOG. First they gave away Hitman: Absolution for free and later I got the other four games during their Summer Sale. So, in the end I got all five games for just € 6.86.

Why can I never add images to my posts? I've tried five different "image upload websites", but every single time I try to insert the image I uploaded to the particular website I always end up with a blue square with a question mark. So, then I'll just post the link:

https://pasteboard.co/JITTwux.png

#62 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4504 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:09 AM

Some sites down allow for that. I personally use my public Dropbox for hosting images for these kind of things.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#63 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

What the newlywed said, I use Discord.  Also, when a site does not let you link to a graphic you can drag the graphic to your desktop and attach it to your post by using the "more reply options" button at the bottom of the page on the right.  Once there you "choose file" then you "attach file" then finally "add to post".  It's not as elegant but it works.

Attached File  Unknown.png   365.95K   19 downloads
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#64 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 January 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

What the newlywed said, I use Discord.  Also, when a site does not let you link to a graphic you can drag the graphic to your desktop and attach it to your post by using the "more reply options" button at the bottom of the page on the right.  Once there you "choose file" then you "attach file" then finally "add to post".  It's not as elegant but it works.

Attachment Unknown.png

Somehow I can't find any way to directly attach a file from my Desktop. The only option I seem to have got is to insert an image by URL. I do see a button called "My Media" which should show a list of all my attachments, but of course there aren't any as I've never been able to figure out how to do so.

#65 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:38 PM

View Postjos, on 11 January 2021 - 09:45 AM, said:

Somehow I can't find any way to directly attach a file from my Desktop. The only option I seem to have got is to insert an image by URL. I do see a button called "My Media" which should show a list of all my attachments, but of course there aren't any as I've never been able to figure out how to do so.

All members have the ability to attach a file from their desktop, did you follow my directions exactly?  Skipping one of them will not work.  After completing the steps, you should see text in the following format in the location where your cursor was, "
[attachment=347:graphic_name.jpg]"
.  The picture does not resolve until you post it or preview the post.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#66 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 January 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

Attachment Unknown.png

Sorry, but where is this "choose file"? The only extra options I get when I click on "More reply options" is "Post Options" to the right saying:
  • Enable emoticons?
  • Enable signature?
  • Follow this topic?
Maybe only you as admin have that option?

#67 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3126 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

See screenshot. When you click More Reply Options do you see the circled options? If not, maybe its an admin/moderator function.

Attached File  IMG_attach_file.png   82.15K   15 downloads

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#68 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

I do not see those - was also wondering the same thing. I've always had to host in a public dropbox folder and link to the file

#69 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 January 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

See screenshot. When you click More Reply Options do you see the circled options? If not, maybe its an admin/moderator function.

Attachment IMG_attach_file.png

Thanks for the screen shot! Then it's definitely only for special members like moderators and admins. We common people do not have such privileges. :)

#70 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

Homy is right.  I've forgotten what it's like to be a groveling muck sucking peon like you guys!  Er, I mean NOT you guys.  You guys are more like noble muck sucking peasants.  Well now I have to think why this is denied to members.  I want to give you punks the option but I don't want to screw up any safeguards that might have been put in place.  The cat must think.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#71 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

I'm afraid if I open this up to the public then it would be a burden on storage.  We're lucky to have the forum at all, best not to try to turn it into an image storage server like dropbox.  Best to actually use dropbox or something like Discord where I created a server and a channel on it specifically for posting images to IMG.  Having the IMG server fill up with images might be the last straw that causes Tuncer to pull the plug rather than upgrade.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#72 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4427 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 January 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

I'm afraid if I open this up to the public then it would be a burden on storage.  We're lucky to have the forum at all, best not to try to turn it into an image storage server like dropbox.  Best to actually use dropbox or something like Discord where I created a server and a channel on it specifically for posting images to IMG.  Having the IMG server fill up with images might be the last straw that causes Tuncer to pull the plug rather than upgrade.

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used       Available   Use%
/dev/sda 80993968     46540308   31108704    60%

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#73 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

It's settled then.  Use dropbox or other online file storage.  Those who have file attaching privileges please refrain from using it.  We are in survival mode here, let's keep the boat afloat as long as we can.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#74 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4427 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

31GB is a lot of room when its just 'images'. Plus, there is a pile of junk leftover crap on the server which is long expired and can be deleted.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#75 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

Okay, that explains why I couldn't find the Attachments feature.

One thing I think we should consider when considering the option to enable this feature to all users, is the fact we aren't the most popular nor active forum on the internet. Look at how many posts we have in a month and how many of those do actually include images. I don't think more than 5 images a month are being posted. If we post 5 images of 1 MB a month it's going to take a whole lot of time to fill up those 31 GB.

31 GB x 1024 = 31,744 MB
31,744 / 5 = 6349 months
6349 / 12 = 529 years

So, I don't think we're ever going to fill up this server by posting some images once in a while. It would at least be much easier than having to find a place to upload the image and then trying to embed it here and always ending up with the forum only showing question marks, instead of the image.

#76 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3126 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:37 PM

View Postjos, on 16 January 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

31 GB x 1024 = 31,744 MB
31,744 / 5 = 6349 months
6349 / 12 = 529 years

If its easier to do, people will do it more. Why, I could see it filling up in only 50 years!

I think your numbers are a little low, certain members love to express themselves with images. But I agree its probably not going to fill up as long as spammers don't find a way to use it to distribute ripped movies. (This happened to my employer once.) We could disable it again if it turns into a problem. JMHO.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#77 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4427 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

Although oddly ... 400mb vanished since I initially looked ...

80993968 46945924  30703088  61%

Going to have to look into things to see where the disk space is being chewed up. Might be the newsletter software (its not the most efficient thing)...

-Fm [1oM7]

#78 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:49 PM

You can activate the option and keep an eye on how it's being used. You can always turn it off. You can also erase images older than a year or 6 month depending on how much space you have left. The issue can be solved in different ways but it makes it easier for us members and as said before we're only a few people who are active in the forum and even fewer who need to post images.

#79 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4504 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:02 AM

A GOG voucher for a 65% discount on all Myst related games. Half of them have Mac versions.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sale