Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 August 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

I understood what you said, including the apocalypse title, to be about impending loss of access. You did say you were considering prioritizing games that may become inaccessible. That was what I was initially responding to although I admittedly wandered into related territory when I wrote about costs, money wasted, etc. all of which was based on my own personal experience and not meant to be critical of you or anybody else. I do feel that all of that was relevant though. You had mentioned an indie game for example that I would find difficult to believe you want to play again and again for years to come when you have yet to ever play it, until confronted with the possibility of not being able to. Suddenly, Incredipede appears on the radar for that reason and my whole point was that reason probably doesn't hold up too well against other games you've preferred to play instead ever since buying it. Otherwise, like I said, you wouldn't care about it becoming obsolete. You would have played it a long time ago. Clearly it was less important than other games. I maintain it still is considering the evidence I see. So why play it now? Is it subjectively better than everything else you have access to right now, so much so that you really want to drop everything and play this game today? How did that come to be? That was my point.

I said I wouldn't *solely* play a game based on its impending doom. My backlog has become so large that I have so many games that I still have the same amount of interest in playing that I haven't gotten around to yet. The fact that I bought them years ago is beside the point. Part of the problem is that I tend to prioritize one-sitting games or really long RPGs, so the rest (even if I have the same level of interest in them) tends to languish.

I'm changing my buying habits, which helps. Now, I only buy games that I know I want to play right away for whatever reason, or they're in a Humble. I'm buying a lot less.

#22 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

Starting to see some rumours that following the iOS transition this might be coming sooner than I perhaps expected:

https://9to5mac.com/...32-bit-warning/

I think I'm right in saying there is no 3D support for the guest OS when virtualising old versions of MacOS on a Mac. If so, without booting from another drive with an older MacOS that has 32-bit support this could be a problem for all but the most recent Mac game ports.

I know from experience I tend to find rebooting too much trouble. It even seems like WINE might not be possible on a 64-bit only Mac as well so it really might be a case of HAVING to use Windows (virtualised or otherwise) because so many titles will likely never be made 64-bit and looking at the vast list in System Report it isn't just old games but ones that are still quite recent and active.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.6

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Apple's statement that High Sierra would be the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps "without compromises" hasn't changed, which means that 10.14 will still be supporting older apps in a way.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Without knowing which compromises they mean, we can't judge if they're acceptable or not. Knowing Apple, I'd assume the worst (backward compatibility isn't their forte) until they clarify.

#25 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 25 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Without knowing which compromises they mean, we can't judge if they're acceptable or not. Knowing Apple, I'd assume the worst (backward compatibility isn't their forte) until they clarify.

Ya, without compromises could be "run 32 bit apps in a VM"
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#26 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

And so it begins....

Hope either lots of old games get patches (unlikely) or a VM with enough 3D acceleration becomes an real option, either for the Mac build or a PC one.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.6

#27 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:39 PM

and everyone laughed at my 3,1 mac pro that tops out at 10.11. Who's laughing now.

Well everyone. BUT NOT AT THIS NOW.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#28 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 January 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Ya, without compromises could be "run 32 bit apps in a VM"

I'll accept that if it works, and continues to work. I have several low-overhead research and academic-type apps that haven't been updated in donkey's years and yet I perilously rely upon for work - PCR simulators, plasmid mappers, molecular graphics viewers, data analysis programs, that kind of thing. Yes, all of these could undoubtedly be replaced with something more modern, or efficient. or, God forbid, Pythony, but I'm old and get off my lawn.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#29 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

I took the “without compromises” thing to mean they will simply give you an unskippable dialog every time (instead of just once) like they did on iOS.

I would say that if you think Apple will bother with a VM of some kind you’re living in a fantasy land, but Apple told Jim Dalrymple that the exact timeline is not set in stone. So I think they are aware that macOS is not the same as iOS in this respect, so I might be wrong. Even so, they wouldn’t keep it around forever. Rosetta didn’t last very long.

#30 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

I'm under no illusions that Apple will provide a VM, but presumably third-party options will be available as they are now.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#31 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

Having just completed the main story on Rise Of the Tomb Raider and wanting more I just went back to the 2013 game to replay it and was surprised to get the not optimised for this Mac 32-bit warning....

If recent titles like that are 32-bit I can’t see more than a handful of titles out of my 300 plus games will work once we go 64-bit only.

Hope there is enough incentive for Feral and Aspyr to patch many games or we are going to loose so many classics.

Only positive news recently is that Codeweavers are working on making Crossover 64-bit for future MacOS releases so maybe some will be possible to run via the PC build.

#32 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Postmattw, on 08 May 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

Only positive news recently is that Codeweavers are working on making Crossover 64-bit for future MacOS releases so maybe some will be possible to run via the PC build.

That’s good. The Myst Kickstarter just announced it’ll be using Codeweaver wrappers for all the games (except for RealMyst Masterpiece, which is native.) I was wondering if they’d just break in a year.

It’ll be ironic that the only way to play a lot of previously-ported games in the future will be through WINE.

#33 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

32-bit support hangs on in 10.14, as expected:
https://twitter.com/...1902595/photo/1

#34 jos

jos

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostCougar, on 04 June 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

32-bit support hangs on in 10.14, as expected:
https://twitter.com/...1902595/photo/1

That's very good news. It gives me more time to finish those 32-bit games that I still want to play and of course developers to make their apps 64-bit. Already getting completely rid of 32-bit this year would be way too early after the announcement macOS is going to go 64-bit only. I don't know of any games that have already been updated from 32-bit to 64-bit.

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:49 AM

In the Platforms State of the Union, they mentioned that Mojave will be the last macOS version to support 32-bit apps.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#36 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

A slight reprieve for a year or so with 10.14 then, however I am reading reports that OpenGL is depreciated so likely to be gone in 10.15. Not only will games need to be 64-bit clean but Metal only.

New titles will likely be fine going forward (maybe not small developers) but not much chance of old favourites getting a whole new port. Looks like being emulation, dual booting to older MacOS (while still possible) or Windows/Linux if a cross platform licence.