5 replies to this topic

#1 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:16 PM

So, since "upgrading" to Big Sur, the Razer software no longer works, which makes half the buttons on my Deathadder unusable. This is a known issue, and I doubt Razer is in any rush to fix it.
Wondering what the current best options might be for 3rd party mouse software--do folks like SteerMouse, or does anyone have other suggestions?
Thanks.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Big Sur/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1878 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

Razer has said they are no longer supporting macOS.

I've used BetterTouchTool for years with my Deathadder to set the forward/back buttons. Despite the name, it also works with mice.

You can use the open source tool Razer macOS to control/turn off the RGB. Though I've noticed if I switch to my PC and come back to macOS, the RGB turns itself on again. Annoying.

#3 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:37 AM

Thanks. Iíll give it a try. Itís really the forward/back buttons that are at issue.
Most of my gaming is under BootCamp, and the mouse obviously works fine there.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Big Sur/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4519 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:31 AM

I have been using USBOverdrive for 15 years or so.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3150 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 February 2021 - 01:31 AM, said:

I have been using USBOverdrive for 15 years or so.
The user interface is highly confusing, IMHO. But it has been around a long time and is powerful.

I'm a little mad at them though, because last time I used it USB Overdrive behaved strangely with DOSBox in a way that made it useless for the GOG releases of X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I went through some effort to isolate the problem and sent them reproducible steps, and they never acknowledged it. When I asked for a refund they didn't reply to that either.

I'm not saying they don't deserve people's money, but first make damn sure it works 100% with the software you need it for.

However: I see their website has gotten a refresh recently, and has releases for both Catalina and Big Sur. So I will try the latest version, and if it still doesn't work I'll try to get some customer service again. (I don't expect them to fix everything, but they should at least acknowledge submissions and let the customer know what to expect.)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3150 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:00 AM

Weirdly, USB Overdrive 4.0.1 doesn't SEE my Logitech gamepad or my Thrustmaster joystick. (Yes, I uninstalled Logitech Control Panel first.) It recognizes my wireless mouse so it is working.
(FYI if you have an older USB Overdrive you must run its uninstaller before installing the new one. I wasted an hour on that.)

So it's worse than it used to be, for me. Still a tool worth trying in general, I suppose.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB