What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1828 replies to this topic

#1801 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8308 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 June 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

I vaguely recall it looking worse than FA-18 Hornet but it playing a lot better when I was a kid. Played it a lot more than Hornet anyway.
The first Hornet I presume? It had a couple of polygons more, but it also came a few years later than Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

Hornet 3.0/Korea was gorgeous. Probably the pinnacle of flat-shaded polygonal graphics.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1802 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

This would have been v1 or maybe 2, I don't remember. It would have been fall/winter 95-96 when I played them the most and the inter web says 3.0 came out in 97.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1803 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8308 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:36 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

This would have been v1 or maybe 2, I don't remember. It would have been fall/winter 95-96 when I played them the most and the inter web says 3.0 came out in 97.
Could in fact have been Hornet 2.0, which came out 1995 and had already rather beefed up graphics.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1804 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

I just picked up X-Wing, Tie Fighter from GOG while they were on sale. (Yes, this broke my resolution to not buy any games this year. My record is never perfect with this resolution, but I will keep trying for the rest of the year.)

My ancient joystick works with X-Wing, but the steering isn't smooth. So I'm looking at new joysticks. Plus, to map its buttons I plan to use USB Overdrive, so I figure I should register a copy of that..

All this is to say that I paid $4 on a game, saving $6, but may end up spending another $80 to enjoy it. :-)

* Also still playing Overload - almost done the single player missions. Multiplayer, very few people are playing online and they are all insanely good. So it's not a lot of fun, and they are scaring off all the casual players. I'll try to set up a private game with some friends.

* Also still playing Epistory. My typing skill is increasing slower than the game's difficulty, so I started over to keep things relaxing and get more practice.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1805 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Been replaying Mad Max a bunch the past week. I remembered the game being fun and I wasn't wrong! And hey! Unlike when I originally played, now I can play it on my MacBook Pro as well and the saves sync whether I'm on my Mac or my PC. Oddly enough it runs really well on my MBP even though it's below minimum requirements and technically unsupported. Props to the Feral programmers!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1806 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

I've played Deus Ex Human Revolution twice in a row, first the initial release, then the Director's Cut... and I had already finished it a couple years ago. Aimed for and obtained 100% achievements, and I'm glad I did, because that forces you to play stealthily and non lethal, which is I think the true Deus Ex way. Now currently listening to the developers commentary, hours of interesting tidbits about the development process, easter eggs and inside jokes, limitations and workarounds!

Before that, in no particular order, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, Dogfight 1942, Poker Night at the Inventory and Poker Night 2, Gone Home.

#1807 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

I love Deus Ex: HR so much. Gotta be one of my favorite games, if not the favorite.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#1808 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

View Postipickert55, on 03 July 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

I love Deus Ex: HR so much. Gotta be one of my favorite games, if not the favorite.

It’s good, but the original is so much better.

#1809 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:53 AM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

I must admit I had expected some upgrades over the first game, but it looks like they just used the exact same engine. A couple of hours into the game, and so far, the story isn't very interesting.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1810 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

View PostFrost, on 02 July 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Been replaying Mad Max a bunch the past week. I remembered the game being fun and I wasn't wrong! And hey! Unlike when I originally played, now I can play it on my MacBook Pro as well and the saves sync whether I'm on my Mac or my PC. Oddly enough it runs really well on my MBP even though it's below minimum requirements and technically unsupported. Props to the Feral programmers!
I wonder if Feral fixed all the horrible audio reverb oddities in that game that plagued the Windows version....

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1811 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8308 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 July 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

I wonder if Feral fixed all the horrible audio reverb oddities in that game that plagued the Windows version....
I haven't encountered any sound issues when I played the game last year on my Mac.

#1812 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 July 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

I haven't encountered any sound issues when I played the game last year on my Mac.
Thats good. It was the only issue I had with the pc version.... audio was very glitchy. Sometimes with NPC's using 'buzzsaws and grinders' it would cut in and out as you walked around... kind of thing that yanks you out of immersion.

Despite that, the game is just fricken awesome all around. Ran so fluid, looked so gorgeous, so much bashing and smashing.... mm. Have to replay that one again I'm sure ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1813 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

I'm about 2.5 hours into Psychonauts, which was on my to-do list for too long. It took me a while to get used to the character's rather bizarre appearances, and there is a lot of walking around the camp at first, but the dialogue is really funny and the action is slowly picking up. After the first hour I was hooked.

Something about the game's handling of full screen screws up the icon arrangement of my desktop (a bug which used to be VERY common among Mac games, and now is almost unheard of.) Switching screen resolutions seems to be enough to fix them though. I sometimes also need to quit my Steam client as well, no big deal.

Still playing Overload on the side. On the whole, extremely pleased with the single-player game, and they've just released the level editor as well. Unfortunately the multiplayer component (which was not promised during the kickstarter campaign) is frustrating: there aren't enough players and the few who do play are really hardcore. Many players give up on mulltiplayer after a couple matches, so it's an unfortunate feedback loop. On the plus side Overload recently got picked as one of the "PAX 10" so hopefully that publicity will give it a shot in the arm.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1814 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 July 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

I'm about 2.5 hours into Psychonauts, which was on my to-do list for too long. It took me a while to get used to the character's rather bizarre appearances, and there is a lot of walking around the camp at first, but the dialogue is really funny and the action is slowly picking up. After the first hour I was hooked.

I finished Psychonauts not too long ago. Took me a while to get through it, as I just found the platforming a bit too clunky/unnecessarily frustrating for my liking (Especially the awful final level). But the writing easily made up for it. Really looking forward to Psychonauts 2 now; hopefully it'll have tighter gameplay and the same great writing.

Now I'm playing Banner Saga 3, which was just released...I read some complaints about the game being too easy on hard when importing saves, but I must really suck because I'm nearing the end and I just cannot progress...I don't want to drop it to normal because I did that with the second game and it made it a cakewalk.

#1815 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

So I've been playing warframe like non stop for three weeks and I gotta say it's grown exponentially over the years. I played it a few times before this, never for long and separated by a year or two and the development is just crazy. It really has grown into it's own and they aren't even done yet. Highly recommended, even though you have to be somewhat patient with them to take off your training wheels.

#1816 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:56 AM

Just finished SteamWorld Dig. Took me 5:01 hours, with almost 100% done and found.

If you are looking for a simple, yet somewhat challeging game, oosing with charm, then this is the one you go for.

You play a robot who arrives in a small town in a desert, looking for his uncle. You start digging below the city, and find all kinds of wonders! Armed with only a pickaxe, you have to work your way through minor puzzles, easy enemies, and dig to find gems and other treasures. Along the way you’ll get various upgrades and other stuff.

Graphics are really well done, cute, bot not too cutesy, and really fits the world. It is oosing with charm! Gameplay is great, with an emphasis on platforming and minor puzzle solving. Game is quick to load, and easy to learn. Story is not the important part here, but it does the trick.

5/5 highly recommended! I really get why it got so much focus back when it was released.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1817 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 October 2018 - 02:56 AM, said:

Just finished SteamWorld Dig.[..] 5/5 highly recommended!

The sequel is also very good.
www.mindthecube.com

#1818 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

Finished HL2:Ep2.
Played 39 Steps for over an hour, lost interest and gave up on it.

Started playing Tropico 4, figured I'd lose interest quickly. But I've been playing for about a week now and am still enjoying it.
www.mindthecube.com

#1819 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:12 AM

Going into KOTOR again, first ever Dark Side playthrough, it's actually really hard on me to have all these good characters that I've grown really attached to hate me but ill be damned if it doesnt feel cool to be bad sometimes.

#1820 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

Played since early July:
Sniper Elite 3: just finished the campaign in normal difficulty. I tried authentic difficulty (no HUD, no save or checkpoint during a level, no aim assist, nothing) but it's way too hard (large levels and no saves), so I'll try in coop.
Alien Rage: surprisingly good albeit mighty cheesy space FPS. Some buggy achievements.
RiME: Gorgeous graphics, nice story, awesome music and sounds.
Lara Croft GO: a good puzzle game, ported from mobile; almost finished, but the final levels are tough
Deus Ex GO: mobile only sadly, this one didn't get a PC/Mac port. Playing on a 5" screen sucks, but the game is good and very challenging, puzzles are harder then Lara Croft GO overall.
AER Memories of Old: poetic, open world, kind of walking simulator mixed with adventure
Shuyan Saga: half visual novel, half kung fu fighting. I liked it. Beautiful pictures.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided: latest Deus Ex, still as good as always. Gorgeous graphics. A couple bugs (mainly annoying for the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement: don't trigger any alarm in the whole game). Benefits from being installed on a SSD, because of the long load times.
Desire: point and click adventure. Disturbing and NSFW.
And a bunch of lower quality stuff best forgotten (like Forest Harvest Simulator).