17 replies to this topic

#1 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

A friend & I were thinking about translating this absolute classic beautiful flatshaded 3D polygonal World War II computer flight simulator for Macintosh computers & making it flyable online for BoxMacs, Macintosh IIs & contemporary ones.

Posted Image
"Aces Over Europe" <---- Click For More ScreenShots

So I thought I'd float it & see if anyone at all'd be interested.
If no one's into it, then we won't get started  lol

Later!
:)  :)  :)

#2 Hellman

Hellman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Have you checked out??? http://donsgames.com...php?page=sf1945 Its a great shareware/community sim with free online play and frequent updates as it is an ongoing project. Its not as serious as Targetware or Warbirds but it is still a sim and has decent flight models and its ever evolving with new planes and community MODs.

If you are interested be sure to read through the forums as there are now many graphical upgrades and info.http://www.donsgames...ewforum.php?f=8

Also check out the links and join us online for some free flying furballs!!!

--Hellman

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

View PostCaryMG, on January 20th 2006, 11:55 AM, said:

A friend & I were thinking about translating this absolute classic beautiful flatshaded 3D polygonal World War II computer flight simulator for Macintosh computers & making it flyable online for BoxMacs, Macintosh IIs & contemporary ones.

Interesting. Do you have a programing background? Is the material open source? How much work would it take for it to run in OSX? Is this enough questions for one post? :D
Thanks!
-Hunt'n

#4 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

View PostHuntn, on January 21st 2006, 11:05 AM, said:

Do you have a programing background?
I don't but my friend does.
What I'll do is direct the conversion -- supplying the money & stuff -- while he does all things techie.

Is the material open source?
Until we get a "Cease & Desist" from Damon Slye, "Verdant Games" or "Havas Interactive", we'll assume it is.

How much work would it take for it to run in OSX?
To quote my friend -- "A great deal ...." lol

I thought the best place ta ask if the Macintosh computer gaming community'd be at all interested in this would be the #1 Macintosh computer gaming website.

Later!

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Honestly, from what I've seen in modern day sims, I have no real interest in flying a 90's era sim without graphic updates. Be careful about assumptions. I can imagine a ton of wasted work when a lawyer shows up at your door.

-Hunt'n

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

I'd rather you guys focused your efforts on getting XP to boot (natively) on the new Intel Macs including GPU support. Then we can just fire up BoBII or the IL2 series and not worry about games from the early 1990s. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every flight sims since 1985 on my Macs, but the current generation of Donald Hills sim is better than anything from the 1990s.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 23rd 2006, 06:49 PM, said:

I'd rather you guys focused your efforts on getting XP to boot (natively) on the new Intel Macs including GPU support. Then we can just fire up BoBII or the IL2 series and not worry about games from the early 1990s. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every flight sims since 1985 on my Macs, but the current generation of Donald Hills sim is better than anything from the 1990s.

No thanks.
I dident buy a mac to do Windows. And that sort of thing is not going to help mac gaming.

Also, instead of spending a lot of time getting an old game up to todays standards, Id suggest using that time on a current Fightsim, Targetware.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8281 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

I would like it, in spite of its age. I played the predessor "Red Baron" to death and really liked "Aces over the Pacific" for PC (on an emulator). And since there are no real alternatives...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

View PostJanichsan, on January 23rd 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

I would like it, in spite of its age. I played the predessor "Red Baron" to death and really liked "Aces over the Pacific" for PC (on an emulator). And since there are no real alternatives...

No real alternatives for this type of flight sim??? Did you miss this?  ;)

View PostHellman, on January 20th 2006, 03:48 PM, said:

Have you checked out??? http://donsgames.com...php?page=sf1945 Its a great shareware/community sim with free online play and frequent updates as it is an ongoing project. Its not as serious as Targetware or Warbirds but it is still a sim and has decent flight models and its ever evolving with new planes and community MODs.

If you are interested be sure to read through the forums as there are now many graphical upgrades and info.http://www.donsgames...ewforum.php?f=8

Also check out the links and join us online for some free flying furballs!!!

--Hellman

View PostWSTE_M, on January 23rd 2006, 01:41 PM, said:

I dident buy a mac to do Windows. And that sort of thing is not going to help mac gaming.

No, but it will help us play great games that will never come to the Mac, as you know. You don't need me to list them again, do you? ;)

But more importantly, it will mean that the 2,100 person global engineering firm I work for won't be able to force the graphics people to work on PCs anymore once we're able to run (some form of) Windows on our Intel Macs and do all the things we're forced by the company to do on a PC ... enter our timesheets in a PC-only app, use StudioMax or AutoCAD, get into the corporate Intranet (PC-only), etc.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

View PostJanichsan, on January 23rd 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

I would like it, in spite of its age. I played the predessor "Red Baron" to death and really liked "Aces over the Pacific" for PC (on an emulator).
And since there are no real alternatives...

Indeed ....
But because of the time for adapting a DOS flightsimulator & slightly shaping the graphics, we've decided to be original & make our own game for "System 6" & "OS X" Apple Macintosh computers.

And wouldn't it ultracool ta play a beautiful flatshaded 3D polygonal European World War II Macintosh computer flightsimulator online using these graphics?

Posted Image Posted Image
"HellCats Of The Pacific" & "A-10 Attack!"

Later!

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8281 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:41 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 24th 2006, 04:29 AM, said:

No real alternatives for this type of flight sim??? Did you miss this?  ;)

I didn't miss Skyfighters and checked it out. But still: it's no real alternative to something like "Aces over Europe" or the the older "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe". It simply hasn't the depth.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:09 AM

Hellcats, Leyte Gulf and Donald Hills original black and white wireframe P51 on my Mac Plus have depth. All the more recent ones are pale imitations. :)

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#13 Guest_Cash68_*

Guest_Cash68_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 25th 2006, 06:09 AM, said:

Hellcats, Leyte Gulf and Donald Hills original black and white wireframe P51 on my Mac Plus have depth. All the more recent ones are pale imitations. :)

I agree.  Instead of porting a PC game to osx, how about converting Hellcats to OSX?   Maybe tweak it up a bit?   It'd be a blast!  :)

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8281 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

View PostCash68, on January 26th 2006, 09:11 PM, said:

I agree.  Instead of porting a PC game to osx, how about converting Hellcats to OSX?   Maybe tweak it up a bit?   It'd be a blast!  :)
You're right. But I assume that porting the rather ancient Hellcats to MacOS X wouldn't be much less work than porting an slighty less ancient PC game...  :P

#15 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

View PostJanichsan, on January 27th 2006, 09:49 PM, said:

You're right. But I assume that porting the rather ancient Hellcats to MacOS X wouldn't be much less work than porting an slighty less ancient PC game...  :P

Does anyone still have a copy of Hellcats? I seem to remember that the sound died around the transition from OS8.6 to OS9, but maybe it might run OK under Classic?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#16 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

Up until recently I had the original manuals and disk for Hellcats, Leyte, P51, A-10 and A-10 Cuba! all in one place. I'd have to look around to see if they're still in a box or two.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#17 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Still got Leyte (even the little map) , but no idea where Hellcats is…

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on January 29th 2006, 07:37 AM, said:

Does anyone still have a copy of Hellcats? I seem to remember that the sound died around the transition from OS8.6 to OS9, but maybe it might run OK under Classic?

Maybe  but I guess you'd have a problem finding a joystick that works with it.
-Hunt'n