macdude22's Content

There have been 108 items by macdude22 (Search limited from 11-December 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#449016 I apologize for derailing threads.

Posted by macdude22 on 09 May 2018 - 07:46 AM in Off-Topic

Crossover 64-bit support.

https://www.codeweav...pport-for-macos

#449003 I apologize for derailing threads.

Posted by macdude22 on 08 May 2018 - 12:24 PM in Off-Topic

Posted Image

#448986 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 06 May 2018 - 12:29 PM in General

I have been trying to whittle down the few games in my 360 backlog that are not available for Backwards Compatibility. I had been trying to choke down Final Fantasy XIII but wow its not good. I like the battle system well enough but the story and the on rails gameplay were just terrible. I found myself falling asleep every time snow had another diatribe about how he's gunner save everyone. I gave it 15 hours, which was probably 10 hours too much. So checked that trilogy off my list and moved onto Kingdoms of Amalur. Holy crap, now that's fun. It's kind of like WoW and and Elder Scrolls game had an offline baby. Fast fun combat, interesting loot, crafting that doesn't require a PhD. Already more hours into it than FFXIII and loving it. I regret not giving this some attention when it was released.

#448979 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 05 May 2018 - 02:33 PM in Mac Hardware

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 27 April 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

I think I might owe you a couple years of your life back.  

More than a couple, but who's counting >_>

#448960 Elite: Dangerous

Posted by macdude22 on 02 May 2018 - 09:58 PM in Mac Simulators

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 May 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm sure they were looking for any reason to stop supporting macOS without wanting to word it as incompetence.

I'd hardly call what they churned out starting to support macOS. They cranked out a POC and never supported it. It should have been a free beta at best.

Spoiler: Overwatch sucks, blizzard did us Mac folk a favor by not tainting our platform with that turd.

#448954 Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Posted by macdude22 on 01 May 2018 - 10:29 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View PostRev-O, on 01 May 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

I just fired up Morrowind on the XB1X and at first was shocked by the visuals. For some reason I thought it would be widescreen etc.

OG games so no. But wow the enhancements they are squeezing out. They run better than they ever did on the original hardware, and look better than ever. Hopefully gamestop figures out their customs issue so my duke will get shipped. I need to play morrowind with the duke like seamus intended.

#448925 Elite: Dangerous

Posted by macdude22 on 27 April 2018 - 11:52 AM in Mac Simulators

Ya it sucks I gave those honkey's money for a game they stopped functionally supporting 3 days later. Was really disappointed with the half hearted Macintosh support from the get go but I stupidly gave them money thinking they would have a real go at it. Runs great on Xbox at least but I have been very disappointed with Frontier's handling of this over the last couple of years.

#448904 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by macdude22 on 26 April 2018 - 10:46 AM in Mac OS Related

PC Gaming sucks, can confirm.

#448899 Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Posted by macdude22 on 26 April 2018 - 07:17 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

You're on the hook now hpymacguy to let us know how it looks. :teehee:

#448864 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by macdude22 on 25 April 2018 - 06:33 AM in Mac OS Related

I wouldn't get a box that's not on Apple's recommended list but I don't have time to be futzing around. I plan on clocking out at 40 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#448857 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by macdude22 on 24 April 2018 - 07:06 PM in Mac OS Related

eats popcorn while playing xbox

View PostSneaky Snake, on 24 April 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

What I'm saying would completely change if this was a discussion about a GPU for putting in a gaming PC.

Haven't you heard, we converted to Inside Wandows Gaming back in '11.

#448850 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 24 April 2018 - 11:39 AM in Mac Hardware

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

MacDude, this is your first warning.  If you continue to challenge preconceived nerd notions with professional knowledge of inside Apple information and facts from your stupid high powered industry position I will be forced to remove you from your sacred duties as IMG Moderator.  You have everybody in a tizzy with your dum faks.  

("Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." Mark Twain)

The only fact is the XNU kernel for source 10.12. and 10.13 from Apple has ARM64 targets for the macosinternal SDK. Everything else I've said is speculation. As I've said, I'm just a dumb hyperchikin. Don't go lumping me in with all the true experts here.

#448849 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 24 April 2018 - 11:33 AM in Mac Hardware

too late I removed myself.

#448842 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 23 April 2018 - 10:58 AM in Mac Hardware

Full multi-user port for iOS, cool. Glad ur here to set me straight. I'm just a dumb hyperchiken from a backwoods asteroid.

I don't know why the idea of Apple having internal builds of macOS for Apple designed processes is such a personal affront to everyone here. :huh:

#448838 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 23 April 2018 - 07:52 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostSpike, on 23 April 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

I cant .... resist.... as well.....

The link macdude22 posted is for Apple's iOS (and MacOS etc...) kernel as part of Darwin. Macdude22 not realize that this iOS kernel has been on ARM since 2007?

Sure but ARM64 was not added with OS X as a default SDK target until 10.12.

I said they are building macOS for ARM platforms, I never said it would see the light of day.

FWIW they have been testing (what we would consider) macOS on ARM for far longer than anyone really thinks.

https://repository.t...ection=research

We can speculate about the likelihood of an actual released Macintosh with an Apple designed processor at it's heart til the cows come home, but there's nothing to speculate about Apple building (what we would consider) macOS on ARM internally.

I expect most here don't know what I do for a living so carry on. Clearly I know nothing. :teehee:

#448828 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 22 April 2018 - 07:34 PM in Mac Hardware

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have macOS running on ARM right now isn't paying attention.

https://opensource.a...570.1.46/osfmk/

A full fledged A-series Mac, hard to say if it ever sees the light of day but Apple's had an affinity for RISC since the beginning of time. Including being one of the original investors in ARM.

Folks here are letting their long histories with Apple and personal experience impact their view of the market. The average lululemon hunbot at Starbucks on a Mac is not doing highend editing and would be just as happy if their clamshell machine was running on Apple designed processors. Heck they probably wouldn't notice if the iPad versions of these apps were dropped in verbatim.

Until Apple does $thing it's all speculation but in my experience most of the arguments against an ARM based Mac laid out in this thread are not huge concerns for Apple. Would they affect me, absolutely. The majority of Apple customers, ehhhhhh.

#448811 What are you currently listening to

Posted by macdude22 on 20 April 2018 - 10:56 AM in Off-Topic

https://hysteria51.com

#448785 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 18 April 2018 - 03:27 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostSneaky Snake, on 18 April 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

iOS will finally be in a place where its target market won't just be able to use it as a computer but will prefer using it as a computer.

Guess what. This is your average consumer. Apple's bread and butter. The ARM Mac/iOSputer will come in the next 5 years because it will be a better, more convenient, device for the majority of Apple's customers. The organization I work for has over 10,000 iOS devices and under 2000 Macs. We use iOS devices for everything. Communication. Patient Access. General day to day office work. Sure we have researchers that still need powerful desktop workstations. The majority do not.

We power users from the 90s are not Apple's bread and butter anymore. They don't need to make us 9600s and style writers. Even me, the 90s power user, just uses his iPad 80% of my personal time.

#448771 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 17 April 2018 - 10:14 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostSpike, on 17 April 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

a large percentage want bootcamp.

I doubt that is true. True of certain demographics of Macintosh users, sure. As a whole, not really.

#448731 64-bit apocalypse

Posted by macdude22 on 12 April 2018 - 02:39 PM in Mac OS Related

and everyone laughed at my 3,1 mac pro that tops out at 10.11. Who's laughing now.

Well everyone. BUT NOT AT THIS NOW.

#448727 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 11 April 2018 - 10:30 AM in Mac Hardware

Plus GTAV sux.

#448708 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 08 April 2018 - 04:08 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 08 April 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

It is a problem for all the applications that either are not allowed on the App Store (e.g. Steam) or where the developers are not ready to share their revenue with Apple (e.g. MS Office, most Adobe applications).

The revenue share isn't the issue with MS Office. Microsoft sells MS Office as a suite and there is no mechanism for selling a suite of applications in that manner via the Mac App Store. App bundling doesn't meet the needs MS has for this.

The O2016 applications are fully sandboxed and compliant with MAS rules but the store is not currently apple to sell the suite in the manner Microsoft desires. I expect that to be a moot point in 5 years. Microsoft has indicated to the channel that O2019 will be the last perpetual release of Office. I expect in 5 years the apps will be distributed for free with most of the functionality gated behind subscription ala the iOS Office applications (which work pretty well IMO)

Adobe Creative Cloud applications shotgun garbage across the entire system. As is they would never pass qualification for MAS distribution.

#448498 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 16 March 2018 - 06:51 AM in General

When I was a kid playing Realmz I always thought it was neat Tim Phillips basically lived right up the road. Then Scott Adams ended up basically across the street and thats how I got signed copies of Adventureland.

Who's this wierdo asking for me to sign floppy disks......act naturally maybe he won't kill me >_>

#448489 Reinstalling OS in single user mode

Posted by macdude22 on 15 March 2018 - 06:51 AM in Mac OS Related

IMO the current range of iMacs is a BIG leap from the 2013 models. Graphic power (discrete radeon cards), CPU (Kaby Lake), connectivity (Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3 with USB-C and USB-A ports), Dem retina displays.

Nvidia support on macOS is severely lagging these days and the 2013s have Nvidia cards.  

I wouldn't spend 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of a 2017 iMac repairing a 2013 if I could swing it.

#448457 MacPro Updated Prediction 2019

Posted by macdude22 on 09 March 2018 - 08:10 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 09 March 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

John Goodman?

Posted Image

Posted Image