macdude22's Content

There have been 135 items by macdude22 (Search limited from 16-August 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#448727 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 11 April 2018 - 10:30 AM in Mac Hardware

Plus GTAV sux.

#448708 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 08 April 2018 - 04:08 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 08 April 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

It is a problem for all the applications that either are not allowed on the App Store (e.g. Steam) or where the developers are not ready to share their revenue with Apple (e.g. MS Office, most Adobe applications).

The revenue share isn't the issue with MS Office. Microsoft sells MS Office as a suite and there is no mechanism for selling a suite of applications in that manner via the Mac App Store. App bundling doesn't meet the needs MS has for this.

The O2016 applications are fully sandboxed and compliant with MAS rules but the store is not currently apple to sell the suite in the manner Microsoft desires. I expect that to be a moot point in 5 years. Microsoft has indicated to the channel that O2019 will be the last perpetual release of Office. I expect in 5 years the apps will be distributed for free with most of the functionality gated behind subscription ala the iOS Office applications (which work pretty well IMO)

Adobe Creative Cloud applications shotgun garbage across the entire system. As is they would never pass qualification for MAS distribution.

#448498 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 16 March 2018 - 06:51 AM in General

When I was a kid playing Realmz I always thought it was neat Tim Phillips basically lived right up the road. Then Scott Adams ended up basically across the street and thats how I got signed copies of Adventureland.

Who's this wierdo asking for me to sign floppy disks......act naturally maybe he won't kill me >_>

#448489 Reinstalling OS in single user mode

Posted by macdude22 on 15 March 2018 - 06:51 AM in Mac OS Related

IMO the current range of iMacs is a BIG leap from the 2013 models. Graphic power (discrete radeon cards), CPU (Kaby Lake), connectivity (Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3 with USB-C and USB-A ports), Dem retina displays.

Nvidia support on macOS is severely lagging these days and the 2013s have Nvidia cards.  

I wouldn't spend 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of a 2017 iMac repairing a 2013 if I could swing it.

#448457 MacPro Updated Prediction 2019

Posted by macdude22 on 09 March 2018 - 08:10 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 09 March 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

John Goodman?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#448455 MacPro Updated Prediction 2019

Posted by macdude22 on 09 March 2018 - 08:00 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 March 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

And the mouse will have one button again.

Sounds goodman.

#448442 MacPro Updated Prediction 2019

Posted by macdude22 on 07 March 2018 - 09:51 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 March 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

This discussion is very interesting. It's becoming increasingly clear that my next computer is an iMac 5K, or possibly a Hackintosh. I'll wait for the next iMac refresh and then decide. There's really no need for me to wait for the Mac Pro reveal any more, so I won't. (Whew!)

With the increasing reliance on specialized in-house hardware I'm not sure how much longer hackintoshes have for this world. Granted it currently exists to ensure the chain of trust for running on Apple hardware I can envision a future where both the OS and the hardware look for Apple signatures with little wiggle room.

Given so much of the special sauce involves existing in the Apple ecosystem I don't really see the value of a hackintosh other than rote system specifications, which Apple seems to be rectifying lagging specs (albeit slowly). My day relies on smoothly moving from phone-ipad-office mac with beeping and booping on Apple Watch (dat watch unlock) and AirPods (dat one click switch between mini and iPhone).

#448365 Weird mail server problem

Posted by macdude22 on 28 February 2018 - 03:15 PM in Mac OS Related

It sounds like a DNS issue. Depending on the TTL (and the last time the device had queried the address) if there was a DNS issue the iOS devices might have still had the address cached but it had aged out on the Mac.

#448350 Reinstalling OS in single user mode

Posted by macdude22 on 27 February 2018 - 11:10 PM in Mac OS Related

Sounds more like the mechanical drive in the fusion volume is going toast. if you can install an OS on an external drive you could run DriveDX or SMART Utility to check the status of both the drives.

In my experience Apple's smart test in disk utility doesn't provide accurate data. It will show a mechanical drive as verified even when it has dozens of pending reallocation's (a good indicator of a weak or failing mechanical drive).

In this scenario usually what i'll do is boot from my repair drive (a usb/Thunderbolt drive with all my tools on it), break the fusion drive, zero the mechanical drive and note where the reallocations fall. If the count climbs, replace the drive. If it's stable with no increase in reallocations, it's usually fine.

It is peculiar that forcing it to boot via IR is failing, have you tried Shift-Option-Command-R? This will try to boot from whatever the original OS was. You don't have to install from there, but I'm interested to see if forcing it to boot from an older OS will work vs. forcing the latest version of macOS.

#448335 Spore - Issues with High Sierra?

Posted by macdude22 on 26 February 2018 - 03:38 PM in Mac Simulators

The last OS I got Spore to work on was 10.10 so best of luck :teehee:

It was a transgaming port and they are long gone now.

#448329 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by macdude22 on 26 February 2018 - 12:08 PM in IMG News Discussion

View Postjeannot, on 26 February 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

So Dota 2 runs faster with Vulkan code translated to Metal than with openGL code? It'd go even faster with native Metal code.
Seriously, I don't see anyone beside Valve using this translation layer for macOS games, but I'd be interested in hearing Feral's take on this.

I could see it being useful for code weavers if the uptake was better. But according to wikipedia there's only a couple dozen vulkan games anyway. I think the best case scenario is more developers use vulkan now that it can be relatively portable to a platform full of hungry paying customers.

#448327 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by macdude22 on 26 February 2018 - 11:38 AM in IMG News Discussion

Maybe there will be more uptake if developers get easy portability to macOS by using vulkan.

cuz nobody really cares about linux.

Or linux folk don’t care to buy games at any rate.

#448324 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by macdude22 on 26 February 2018 - 10:40 AM in IMG News Discussion

vulkan to metal translation layer sounds nice but is anyone using vulkan over directX 12?

The usual porting houses feral and aspyr are already adept at natively porting directX to metal and the major engines like Unreal4 already support metal so I’m not sure who this is for unless there is more uptake in vulkan than I realized.

#448239 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by macdude22 on 18 February 2018 - 09:46 AM in Off-Topic

Saw some pew pew and swish swish, got a few laughs. A wild Laura Dern appeared. 8/10.

#448227 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by macdude22 on 17 February 2018 - 11:46 AM in Off-Topic

clocknova, it's not a bad show but it is terrible Star Trek. It would be an ok standalone gritty Sci-Fi show.

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I liked SW:TLJ. Saw some pew pew and swish swish, got a few laughs. A wild Laura Dern appeared. 8/10.

#448187 IMG Forum tip jar?

Posted by macdude22 on 13 February 2018 - 07:47 AM in IMG Website Network Feedback

View Postipickert55, on 12 February 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

We need some new life on the discord, it's literally just Rakden's twitter feed right now (not that that's a bad thing)

uhhh you folk get way cooler stuff than my twotter feed.

#448183 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by macdude22 on 12 February 2018 - 07:00 PM in Off-Topic

Cheer up mate, we gots S2 of The Orville coming down the pipe.

#448102 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by macdude22 on 03 February 2018 - 08:37 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Like I want to take them at face value about the complexity blah blah its like removing the oregano from spaghetti sauce. I do a little development at work, at a certain point you archive *cough lose* old versions etc... but Nostalrius was managing just fine until the C&D so idk I guess hire those folks to fire up a couple blades and be done with it.

#448078 Avernum 3: Ruined World released for Mac

Posted by macdude22 on 31 January 2018 - 01:54 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View Postnick68k, on 31 January 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

I don't think I finished the original Exile 3 first time around, but I have no excuses now.

I spent more time than I care to mention playing Exile & Exile II on a Quadra 610 back in the day (68040 power!), then the Infinity Engine games and Diablo II appeared, and that was that.

(Incidentally, I'd be interested to know if Jeff has plans to update his scenario editor (Blades of Exile/Avernum) to the v3 engine.)

BoA was a financial failure and its nowhere to be found on the redesigned site (which I don't like btw, I'm old and allowed to hate new things).

http://spiderwebsoft...roductsOld.html

I think it's fair to say he won't ever do another Blades game.

#448055 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by macdude22 on 28 January 2018 - 06:45 PM in Mac Hardware

View Postnick68k, on 28 January 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I had a tap around on the 2nd gen KB recently and I didn't hate it, but I am concerned about it failing. Mildly encouraging to hear your experiences with them. Any observations re: huge-ass trackpad palm rejection?

I don't use my tester 1st gen tBP very much but have not had any issues and have heard no complaints from any of the natives. I think Apple must have fat palm rejection licked.

#448047 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by macdude22 on 27 January 2018 - 02:05 PM in Mac Hardware

View Postnick68k, on 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yes, this. Presumably Apple are working on this. Right guys? Guys?

In the meantime, I hope my 2012 13" MBP soldiers on.

FWIW the 2nd gen tBP keyboards feel slightly nicer (but still terrible) and we've only had 1 I've had to submit for warranty work vs. 23 first gen tBPs (almost always the space bar dilling up)

#448029 64-bit apocalypse

Posted by macdude22 on 25 January 2018 - 03:28 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 25 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Without knowing which compromises they mean, we can't judge if they're acceptable or not. Knowing Apple, I'd assume the worst (backward compatibility isn't their forte) until they clarify.

Ya, without compromises could be "run 32 bit apps in a VM"

#448016 GeForce NOW for Mac - Beta Invite

Posted by macdude22 on 24 January 2018 - 11:31 AM in Windows Gaming

View PostIrishman, on 24 January 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

So, as a follow-up post, is GeForce Now able to sync your Steam purchases, or do you have to buy games all over again? BTW, I just put my name on the waiting list. :)

Games are not bought through GeforceNow, but there are only specific games that are fully supported. I.E. I can sign into steam and run any game (well try to run) but it will have to reinstall on the cloud computer every session (and if they don't have steam cloud your games aren't saved) . Supported games are instantly available from any session with save support.

#447997 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by macdude22 on 23 January 2018 - 07:44 AM in General

Games we want you to port?

ELEX. I've long had a soft spot for the quirky, yet engrossing games of Piranha Bytes. I originally played the Risen series on 360 and then went back and played some of the Gothic games via WINE. It sounds kind of like a hot mess but I can't help but pine for the medieval steampunk nonsense of ELEX on my Mac.

#447875 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by macdude22 on 12 January 2018 - 01:07 PM in Mac Hardware

There's some sort of rotation bug in iOS 11 I have seen iPads and iPhones of all manner exhibit this behavior. I can never replicate consistently or I would open a radar on it.