Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I switched today to a new email address, with my own domain name in the .click TLD (I can't use a common TLD like .com since my last name is the same as a well known brand which obviously has already registered common commercial TLDs). So I've begun the tedious process of switching tens or hundreds of registered addresses (forums, online shops, etc.). Now you'd think by 2017 web sites would know a valid email address follows the following format: a@b.c, and c is no longer limited to 2, 3 or even 4 characters, there's a plethora of top level domains up to 18 letters.

So why maybe 1 out 5 sites think it's a good idea to check if the user has typed a valid email address, but isn't up to date and refuse my .click address (.click started in November 2014, it's not that new). :wall:  And the IMG forum is one of these offenders, so I can rant there! :)

History repeats itself: back in 2002 or 2003, I started using a .name address, at the time one of the first TLDs with more than three letters, and that was a common issue I already encountered. It took years before 99% of sites accepted .name.

Edit: and for those wondering why I switched from .name to .click: I was forced to by GoDaddy's incompetence. Third level .name domains (like firstname.lastname.name) have the .name email forwarding service which forwards email sent to firstname@lastname.name to a mailbox of your choice. It's better than having an address like foo@firstname.lastname.name, which is cumbersome. GoDaddy stopped without warning the forwarding service (even though the domain name is valid until 2020), and transferring to another registrar would be long and complicated (GoDaddy's hotline doesn't even know what I was talking about). It goes without saying I didn't register the .click domain with them! Also, I can't register the 2nd level mylastname.name which is unavailable.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:53 PM

Oh tell me about it. I have a .email, and this happens on just about 50% of the sites i sign up for! It is SO annoying!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

There are also those sites which seem to accept the email address, but you never receive the confirmation email because their backend system doesn't support this email format. Looking at you, Microsoft and EA!

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

Ah, there's nothing like a little group therapy and support when life becomes upsetting for whatever the reason. Try not to let this stuff consume you and spoil a beautiful day. Herbal remedies go a long way for issues just like this one. After administering a suitable dose you won't even care about email. As Janis Joplin once said on a long train ride with Captain Trips and others who were no doubt well medicated, "It's all the same fraking spam man." Sort of like the useless replies I like to write sometimes, like this one for example.

Well, I gotta go now. It's time for my meds. Good luck and may the Force be with you!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Herbal treatment? Hmmm... I know what plant GoDaddy and a few sites(*) deserve to ingest: https://en.wikipedia...onium_maculatum. I've spent two days updating countless accounts because of these guys.

(*) the ones where you CAN'T change your email address and must create a new account: who can be so stupid to design such a system? :crazy:

Isn't it Frigidman who administers this forum? I hope he's around and can update it to support newer TLDs.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17327 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 08 May 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Isn't it Frigidman who administers this forum? I hope he's around and can update it to support newer TLDs.

Yes Frigidman administers this forum.  It doesn't seem likely that he is going to spend a lot of time updating the site to support newer TLDs, or anything else.  This site is pretty much defunct as far as putting any more money into it.  Remember now, the only reason IMG Forums still exist is because of Tuncer's big heart and our begging and pleading.  That said, message Frigidman and link this thread because who knows, it might be doable.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat