#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Friend of mine wants to upgrade his 5 year old MBP to a 500 GB SSD from the spinning rust disk it currently has. Would you guys recommend using cloning software, or should I just install the SSD, install macOS, and then use Migration Assistant?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 28 March 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Friend of mine wants to upgrade his 5 year old MBP to a 500 GB SSD from the spinning rust disk it currently has. Would you guys recommend using cloning software, or should I just install the SSD, install macOS, and then use Migration Assistant?
I would do the latter, since this usually gets rid of some usually hidden cruft. If he really wants to clone the drive, it's still easily possible with the standard Disk Utility.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

superduper is super easy for str8 clones. If its going in the same machine I'd just slave it to a USB dongle and str8 clone it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

When I did this I stuck the SSD in an enclosure, cloned it, swapped it with the internal hard drive, and used that drive as a time machine backup. Worked fine.

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:25 AM

I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner for years, works great. Lots of good secondhand reports on SuperDuper too, although I have very little experience with it since I've got a tech license for CCC.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostFrost, on 29 March 2017 - 01:25 AM, said:

I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner for years, works great. Lots of good secondhand reports on SuperDuper too, although I have very little experience with it since I've got a tech license for CCC.

I have both, CCC is WAY better for scheduled sorts of things. But for a one off clone, the free version of super duper will work great.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

For some reason CCC does not work on my Mac Pro, but Super Duper.  My wife's lap top works just the opposite, so we have both.  When I upgraded to SSD I cloned it with Super Duper and kept the rust for backup.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Update:

Tried using SuperDuper. The clone task reported success, but upon booting off of the SSD, the clone appeared to be corrupted. I couldn't open any apps for example - they all just had 'unexpected errors'.

So I ended up doing a time machine backup of the machine, and then installing OS X fresh on the SSD, and then restoring the Time Machine backup and that ended up working fine.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I recently purchased a Mercury Electra 6G 480 Gb SSD from OWC to replace the HD in my late 2012 Mac mini at work. The unit came with a USB 3.0 transfer enclosure.

I thought I'd format the drive in the transfer enclosure and copy my data across prior to installation. Good idea, right? Apple's Disk Utility (El Cap 10.11.5) was unable to format (or mount) the SSD as journaled HFS+, reporting the unit as a 1.07 Gb volume. Hmm. I took the drive over to a nearby Windows 10 box and was also unable to partition and format it (as NTFS).

Figuring the drive was a lemon, I got a return number from OWC and sent it back. The new drive arrived, and lo and behold, exactly the same problems as the previous one.

Wondering if the USB controllers (or some other chipset) in the transfer case were a problem I took the SSD down to the IT guy at work (academia - we generally do our own IT support), and he formatted the drive as NTFS in a spare SATA slot in his Windows system. Great. And of course, the OS X 'drive not recognised' issue reappeared when I put the SSD back in OWC's case for reformatting as HFS+.

Anyway, long story short, I bit the bullet and installed the NTFS-formatted unit in my mini, and let Apple's Internet Recovery thing do its magic. I then restored the drive from a Time Machine backup, and all was well*, and a hell of a lot faster. Bottom line; beware transfer cases. I think?

*actually all was not well, as I failed to connect the mini's fan properly and the system overheated and shut down.
** I also ruined a 8Gb DIMM by knocking a microscopic surface-mount capacitor off when attempting the reseat the memory.
*** ALL IS WELL NOW THOUGH!
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Something is wrong with OWC's SSDs, at least from the experience I had with them. I had a nightmarish time getting their 480GB SSD with the PATA connector to stop frakking up in my PowerBook G4 in my signature. Large drive writes often resulted in the whole SSD locking up completely and being unable to be used, resulting in getting a replacement. Three replacements all ended up going back within a few months for the same issue. I tracked it down to terrible thermal management. Basically, when transferring large amounts of data (such as when I restored to the warranty replacements), I literally removed the drive and put it on an icepack, and voila, it could run 200GB transfers with no problem.

Once I found out it was a fatal flaw in the design and thus I would never be able to do multi-GB transfers on it without taking it out and icepacking it, I finally raged out, got one final replacement after another bricking while my remaining warranty was still good, and threw my final replacement on eBay while it was still sealed in the packaging. I took a $150 hit on the price, bought a cheap Chinese 2.5" mSATA to PATA card and stuck a 512GB mSATA Crucial M550 in it, and my problems were gone from then on.

Thing that annoyed me the most was I repeatedly told OWC what I had found regarding the drive and never got even so much as an acknowledgement. Their RAM has been top notch, but I have trouble trusting their SSDs after that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

That's somewhat depressing news Frost. I'll keep an eye on my SSD. Touch wood it's been fine so far, but it's only been in for a week.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.