58 replies to this topic

#41 zulu5

zulu5

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:39 AM

Another thing about the Aspyr sever i have it set to my favorite list, but its always empty. Also is it running Road to Rome maps or regualr BF:1942 maps?

#42 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:09 AM

Also is it running Road to Rome maps or regualr BF:1942 maps?

It seems to have both in the cycle.

#43 iomatic

iomatic

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Well, where do I start? The PowerBook does indeed have a 167MHz bus, but I honestly don't understand how this affects load times? Explain? It's a BTO model with a 5400 rpm drive. And with a GeForce Go 5200 with 64MB RAM, that beats the minimum requirements by a lot, don't you think? I've also used it on desktops, and still, performance is not grand.

Besides, there are a lot of other complaints with folks who have similar configurations, albeit desktop models. As far as using an optical mouse as an example of hardware issues, I've yet to see that, even on a PC. The PC version on bare-minimum hardware wallops my PowerBook.

I bet you further speed adjustments are still possible.

Anyway, I still can't find the Aspyr server. They need another one on the West Coast.

Concerning the load time of BF and/or desertcombat all i have to say is that you are using a powerbook to play bf 1942 which means your computer is actually holding u back from faster load times. disagree with me if you want, however that PB of yours only has a 167mhz bus and a prolly a 4200 rpm hard drive (serious factors limiting your load times) so dont blame the load times or even mouse glitches on the port of the game, cuz that's not the problem its the hardware. For example if suddenly one minute your walking and the the next second your looking straight up in the air that is your mouse(optical) loosing track or misreading the desk surface. Its not the game!

#44 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:23 AM

Damdest thing I've ever seen.  I tried just for popsnizzles disabling the DMZ and setting up the virtual server and firewall options for both BF:1942 and CoD as provided by D-Link on their website.  I fire up the games, and sure enough, everything works as it should.  Still have no idea why a DMZ won't work though.  On my old router, with C&C:G, I had to set my computer as the DMZ to get it to work since the router wouldn't allow you to specify UDP or TCP...

I tried both DMZ and enabling port 14567 for my BF PunkBuster kick problem, but neither worked. I also have a Dlink (Di614+), so I was hopeful when I read about your virtual server success. Temporarily.

I also get the server list stopping problem occasionally. Mine seems to cut out after about 200 servers have loaded (no filters, etc.). Hitting refresh or update (bad choice of button wording, btw) just causes it to stay at zero from then on. Quitting or even rebooting doesn't help. The only way I found to get the servers back is to blow out my prefs and start fresh. Now I'm extra careful to let the servers finish loading before I so much as touch the sort bars. I almost know my s/n by heart now!

Glad you got it working, but I'm still in limbo here.

:sad:

#45 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:44 AM

Well, where do I start? The PowerBook does indeed have a 167MHz bus, but I honestly don't understand how this affects load times? Explain? It's a BTO model with a 5400 rpm drive. And with a GeForce Go 5200 with 64MB RAM, that beats the minimum requirements by a lot, don't you think? I've also used it on desktops, and still, performance is not grand.

make sure your laptop isn't set to "power saving" or whatever it's called.  It's in the system prefs.  that could be what's "holding you back".
"Nothing here but us text"

#46 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:15 AM

Damdest thing I've ever seen.  I tried just for popsnizzles disabling the DMZ and setting up the virtual server and firewall options for both BF:1942 and CoD as provided by D-Link on their website.  I fire up the games, and sure enough, everything works as it should.  Still have no idea why a DMZ won't work though.  On my old router, with C&C:G, I had to set my computer as the DMZ to get it to work since the router wouldn't allow you to specify UDP or TCP...

I tried both DMZ and enabling port 14567 for my BF PunkBuster kick problem, but neither worked. I also have a Dlink (Di614+), so I was hopeful when I read about your virtual server success. Temporarily.

I also get the server list stopping problem occasionally. Mine seems to cut out after about 200 servers have loaded (no filters, etc.). Hitting refresh or update (bad choice of button wording, btw) just causes it to stay at zero from then on. Quitting or even rebooting doesn't help. The only way I found to get the servers back is to blow out my prefs and start fresh. Now I'm extra careful to let the servers finish loading before I so much as touch the sort bars. I almost know my s/n by heart now!

Glad you got it working, but I'm still in limbo here.

Try using this guide and follow it completely.  You don't need to use the gamespy listing stuff.  Make sure you open up the firewall also.

#47 Heatseeker2

Heatseeker2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:23 PM

Ya when i play Halo on my powerbook if i have the processor performance to automatic or reduced halo runs like poo. However having it on lower settings will improve battery length. now when i put that processor performance on highest it is playable. A very big difference.

To find processor performance go to system prefs--->energy saver--->options tab--->processor performance pulldown is in there.

#48 stngryG3

stngryG3

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

Anyone know what the password is for the Aspyr BF server?  I'd join if I knew the password.

#49 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:46 PM

password is "macsrule"

#50 stngryG3

stngryG3

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:17 PM

password is "macsrule"

Thanks

#51 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

Try using this guide and follow it completely.  You don't need to use the gamespy listing stuff.  Make sure you open up the firewall also.

Ah, Thanks. I didn't see the firewall part hidden down there below the GameSpy stuff. It's not labelled, and starts over at Step 1 for some reason.

I'll have to try that tonite!
8)

#52 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:54 PM

Yea, I didn't see it the first time either.  However, even when I did see it, it wasn't until I disabled the DMZ that it actually worked...

#53 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:43 AM

No "Dice".

This is one expensive coaster!

#54 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:53 AM

Aspyr BF1942 Server = Ghost town

What gives, people? 6 people, including myself, is the most I've ever seen there. Is it just me?

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |

#55 dubbaplate

dubbaplate

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Steam Name:Rebel Scum

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:09 AM

Aspyr BF1942 Server = Ghost town

What gives, people? 6 people, including myself, is the most I've ever seen there. Is it just me?

abc

I checked it out yesterday and no one was on.. how 'bout a scheduled time to go on?
iMac C2D @ 2.4Ghz | ATI Radeon HD 2600 | 4GB RAM | 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

#56 vayabobo

vayabobo

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

Tried playing on the Aspyr server last night, but keep getting PB kicked.  Even tried to do a manual PB update.  Still no packet flow.

Saw the thread before.  What's the DMZ and where do I turn off the GameSpy firewall?

Do I have to open a port?

#57 Aspyr Media

Aspyr Media

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

We've removed the password from the server.  While this will allow PC users in, there should be more people to play with now.  If there are any problems with this (abuse, TKing, etc.) let me know.  If anyone wants to schedule a time for only Mac gamers, PM me and I can set that up for you.

Happy fragging!

#58 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:09 AM

Tried playing on the Aspyr server last night, but keep getting PB kicked.  Even tried to do a manual PB update.  Still no packet flow.

Saw the thread before.  What's the DMZ and where do I turn off the GameSpy firewall?

Do I have to open a port?

These things refer to your router, if you are using one. A DMZ is a "demilitarized zone", in this case putting your computer outside the safety of your "firewall", the built-in network security of your router. You could also try opening a port (14567, I believe). Find the instructions specific to your router online for best results. YMMV.

8)

#59 vayabobo

vayabobo

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:18 PM

Thankx!  I'm going to try and open the port and see what happens.

Also, some of you might be interested in this (hopefully the patch will be out soon and I can join you all on the Aspyr server!):

CC:
support@evenbalance.com

"Stuart Dunsmore" <sdunsmore@evenbalance.com>  Add to Address Book

Hello,

We are researching the error with Aspyr, but it seems that PB is not
running on some systems. There should be a patch soon to fix this.

-Stuart

On Wednesday, July 21, 2004, at 12:43 AM, Vaya Bobo wrote:

> 1) BF 1942 MAC edition 2) MAC OS 10.2.8 3) Cable Modem
> 4) No packet flow with PB
>
> I get kicked off within one minute because of no
> packet flow.
>
> For the auto update I tried the following:
>
> Turned off the Apple firewire
>