9 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

Okay, ill explain the background here a bit so it is maybe more clear what im trying to do:

I use two computers; i have my daily driver (2012 MacBook Pro; last non-retina model) that i do most of my computing, and a gaming PC that i use solely for gaming.  

Since they are side-by-side, i use my VOIP apps and music on my Mac and really only have the game sound coming out of the PC.  

I use a Corsair VOID Pro Wireless as a headset, audio in is accomplished by a Blue Yeti (suspended on a mic arm above my head level).  I typically have the music on low (lower than the VOIP app), and the VOIP coming through the headset.  The volume is low enough that i can still hear the game audio, but when im talking, others can ALSO hear the game audio (through the Yeti); it isnt loud enough to trigger the mic on its own, but its audible in the background when i am queued up.  

What i'd like to do:

Get the audio out from the PC into the headset as well, so others dont hear it when im talking.  This can be accomplished via hardware, software, whatever, i would just like to make that happen, whatever the method.  

If someone has a hardware solution (i could get a mixer, i know, but i dont know of any that i could then plug the Void Pro Wireless into, they all require a wired headset, and i like being able to get up and walk around or get a drink without leaving the chat), that'd be great..

Or if there is any way i can get the PC audio into the Mac and then out (basically pass-through), that'd work too.  

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Why not VoIP from the PC while you are gaming? That would put all the audio on the headset.

> If someone has a hardware solution

A second headset? :-)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 October 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

Why not VoIP from the PC while you are gaming? That would put all the audio on the headset.

No, that would put VOIP in the headset, and game audio.. but not my music or any YouTube video i happen to be watching, which would now be overheard every time i talked.  And it would prevent me from seeing who is talking, easily switching channels, queueing up new videos or songs without alt-tabbing.  Thats the point of using two machines.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:37 AM

I see. Well this is a puzzle.

Another thought is that maybe your microphone is the root problem. Seems it picks up everything in the room, when you really want it to just pick up your voice. I looked up Blue Yeti and at least some of them have a "cardiod" mode that try to pick up just what's in front of them. Maybe you've tried that already? Still, I wonder if you might be better off with a simple noise-cancelling microphone that's right in front of your mouth. (Granted, lower quality sound, but if you aren't recording a podcast maybe that's tolerable.)

Or if there is any way i can get the PC audio into the Mac and then out (basically pass-through), that'd work too.

That does seem feasible but I don't know specifically how to do it. What is the PC using for audio out today?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 25 October 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

That does seem feasible but I don't know specifically how to do it. What is the PC using for audio out today?

Whatever it needs to.  Currently its just plugged into a middling pair of Logitech speakesr (Z4s, from forever ago, looted from the Salvation Army for 10$), but it has optical, stereo/5.1/line-out, HDMI if needed, whatever.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

According to a quick internet search, the 2012 MBP doesn't have a dedicated input jack, but you can use the headphone jack if your plug has three rings (you might need an adapter.) Otherwise, maybe a USB adapter. Details: https://apple.stacke...icrophone-input

You may then need to tell the Mac to mix the new sound input in with the existing outputs.
I just learned that OS X has built-in functionality for mixing: https://lifehacker.c...outputs-in-os-x
But you might also need something like Loopback or SoundFlower. We want to add the new sound input to everything else that's already outputting. Hopefully there's a way to do that without having to redirect each application explicitly. You don't want to have to reconfigure every time you switch games..

So I'm really not sure how well it's going to work like in the end, but it seems like a cheap experiment. (Loopback has a free trial, and Soundflower is free.)
www.mindthecube.com

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

I’m using a Sound Blaster X7, and the way I have it set up, I have it plugged into my PC via USB, PS4 via TOSlink, and Mac via line out. I can hear audio from all three sources simultaneously on the same headset and speakers without messing with plugging or unplugging anything, and the mic in runs into the X7. Might fit your bill.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostFrost, on 02 November 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

I’m using a Sound Blaster X7, and the way I have it set up, I have it plugged into my PC via USB, PS4 via TOSlink, and Mac via line out. I can hear audio from all three sources simultaneously on the same headset and speakers without messing with plugging or unplugging anything, and the mic in runs into the X7. Might fit your bill.

Yeah, i knew a traditional mixer would work; the main issue is that there arent any that output to a USB dongle wireless headset, so id have to go back to using wired cans.  

If i cant avoid going to a mixer, ill get a mixer.  I just like the ability to get up and walk away and still listen to what is going on.

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:15 AM

Tetsuya, you just need a long headphones cable (or extension). ;)

#10 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Can actually cludge this up with nothing more than Quicktime Player, i found.  

Run audio into any input.

Open up Quicktime Player

Select "Start New Recording"

Select the option for input.  

Turn up the volume slider on the recording window.  

Thats it.  If you turn that volume slider up, it plays whatever is coming into the selected input through the system default output.  

Gonna need to get a 10-12ft aux cable, but that shouldnt be too bad for the times i have to do this.