89 replies to this topic

#61 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

I will always love Aspyr but lately they seem to only be able to work on one or two things at a time. So many things are MIA (Borderlands 2 & Pre-Sequel HD editions; Civ VI iOS DLC; 64-bit conversions of just about anything). Then, just when I think they might be dead, they deliver something (most recently a Civ VI iOS patch).

I'm still rooting for them, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Whatever we get will be a pleasant surprise.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#62 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8426 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:32 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 June 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

So many things are MIA (Borderlands 2 & Pre-Sequel HD editions; …)
At least these are things I'm sure they are working on: you can see the activity in the SteamDB.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#63 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 June 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

According to some conflicting reports I've seen the version of the launcher you can download now is also 64-bit, but I haven't checked yet myself.

It is, I tried it.

#64 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 June 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

At least these are things I'm sure they are working on: you can see the activity in the SteamDB.
Thanks; that's somewhat of a confirmation of what they announced on Twitter a couple months ago. But they told us to keep an eye on the BL2 support page, and that never got updated.

An obvious question: would an HD patch to a 32-bit game be worth Aspyr's highly-constrained time? Or does this imply a 64-bit upgrade is also on the way? Again, best if I don't get too invested in the outcome.

Still, if anyone from Aspyr is reading this: I pledge to buy more BL2 DLC if and when a 64-bit update is released. THAT'S RIGHT-- you could earn yourself a cool $17.97, Aspyr! Money on the table!
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#65 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4106 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:39 AM

Since new DLC seems to be comming for BL2 to set up the game for BL3, I'd assume Aspyr would make it 64bit (Again assuming they plan to port BL3 to Mac). I'd also be quite sad if they didn't.. That game is such a marvel.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#66 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 07 June 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

Since new DLC seems to be coming for BL2 to set up the game for BL3

To avoid this thread being taken over by BL2/BL3 discussion, I've moved my reply to a different thread. :-)
www.mindthecube.com

#67 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

Any news on running old 32-bit Mac games in a VM on 10.15 or is there no GPU support available to the guest MacOS version?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#68 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2247 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:13 PM

There is not currently passthrough GPU support for macOS guests, on Fusion 11 anyway. Some software rendered stuff works fine, but generally slow. I am unsure if that is the case for virtualization using hypervisor.framework. Veertu is the only GUI virtualization solution using the hypervisor framework afaik. That might change now that hypervisor.framework supports bridged networking in Catalina. Bridged networking is a deal breaker for me at work. Now that the native framework is  more full featured maybe vmware or virtual box will take advantage.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#69 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

Thanks!

It sounds like it will be a case of finding space to keep an old Mac around for the 32-bit titles or perhaps running the PC versions (where the licence is cross platform like Steam/GOG etc.) in a Windows VM (or WINE - although I'm not sure how that handles 32-bit games on 64-bit only MacOS either).
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#70 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

I bought Deus Ex - Human Revolution during Steam summer sale and discovered that it's now gone from Steam along with Borderlands 1. The games are gone from Feral's website, App Store, Humble and MGS too. MGS has Deus Ex H.R. but it's not a Feral port. Now we know their not getting 64-bit support.

#71 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4323 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

View Postmattw, on 14 June 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

Thanks!

It sounds like it will be a case of finding space to keep an old Mac around for the 32-bit titles or perhaps running the PC versions (where the licence is cross platform like Steam/GOG etc.) in a Windows VM (or WINE - although I'm not sure how that handles 32-bit games on 64-bit only MacOS either).

Best bet is to keep an older mac around with an OS that is locked.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#72 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostHomy, on 10 July 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

I bought Deus Ex - Human Revolution during Steam summer sale and discovered that it's now gone from Steam along with Borderlands 1. The games are gone from Feral's website, App Store, Humble and MGS too. MGS has Deus Ex H.R. but it's not a Feral port. Now we know their not getting 64-bit support.
At least not before September this year, when there's apparently a deadline. I guess, Apple has enforced that all 32-bit apps have to be removed from the MAS by that date, and both Aspyr and Feral seem to remove their 32-bit games from Steam  as well to avoid pain and confusion. As Feral, Humble and the MGS only sell Steam keys, so they are also affected. (BTW, the Mac version of Borderlands 1 never was on Steam.)

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#73 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 10 July 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

Best bet is to keep an older mac around with an OS that is locked.
What do you mean by locked?
www.mindthecube.com

#74 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4323 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 10 July 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

What do you mean by locked?

Dont let it update to a 'newer' one. Kill the notifications app that keeps popping up that notice to update to a newer os. Make sure no one in the family is stupid enough to touch it. That sort of 'locked' ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#75 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

At least not before September this year, when there's apparently a deadline. I guess, Apple has enforced that all 32-bit apps have to be removed from the MAS by that date, and both Aspyr and Feral seem to remove their 32-bit games from Steam  as well to avoid pain and confusion. As Feral, Humble and the MGS only sell Steam keys, so they are also affected. (BTW, the Mac version of Borderlands 1 never was on Steam.)

Damn, now Bioshock 2 is gone too. I saw Feral's post on Facebook about Bioshock 2 for mac on Steam Summer Sale. I purchased Bioshock remastered but there was and is no Bioshock 2 for mac on Steam. They only sell/sold the windows version during the sale. Now I see that Bioshock 2 is gone from their website too, also from other stores.

#76 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8426 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostHomy, on 11 July 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

Damn, now Bioshock 2 is gone too. I saw Feral's post on Facebook about Bioshock 2 for mac on Steam Summer Sale. I purchased Bioshock remastered but there was and is no Bioshock 2 for mac on Steam.
There actually is. If you had bought the BS2 Remaster, you would have gotten the original version as well – which is downloadable for Mac on Steam, just not directly purchasable.

#77 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

(Stares into the face of the onrushing apocalypse, clenches fists)
C'mon then! What are you waiting for, damn you!!
www.mindthecube.com

#78 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 July 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

There actually is. If you had bought the BS2 Remaster, you would have gotten the original version as well – which is downloadable for Mac on Steam, just not directly purchasable.
There was but not any more. As you say it appears that the Mac version was included in the remastered windows version but it wasn't so obvious if you didn't read the text page on steam. It was misleading because when I purchased Bioshock remastered on Steam Summer Sale I searched for BS2 but all the versions in the serach result had the windows symbol on it. What an odd thing to bundle the mac version with the windows version and not to sell it as standalone!

#79 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8426 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostHomy, on 11 July 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

There was but not any more.
It still is, even if it's no longer shown in the store. The Mac version has not been removed, it's just hidden. The depots are still there.

#80 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

DE:MD is 85% off on Humble Bundle. I wonder if the Steam key would allow downloading the macOS version tho. FWIW I'd assume not based on recent discussion.
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII