What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1811 replies to this topic

#1001 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

I got hooked on War of Mine (iPad version). After 3 attempts I finally survived and I don't feel I want to play that game again. What is the point when you win?

#1002 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

Still on Baldurs Gate. Finally finished the cult summoned demon after 40+ reloads. He certainly was a bitch to kill! Potions, fireballs, monster summoning wands - everything was needed. Now I am off to Werewolf Island (Which I have never been to before!), and then Sarevok to finish it all off.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1003 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 25 July 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

I got hooked on War of Mine (iPad version). After 3 attempts I finally survived and I don't feel I want to play that game again. What is the point when you win?

I haven't beaten it yet. But try different strategies/players? There's a mode that lets you select your starting location and who you start with. The travel locations are also randomized, you probably haven't seen them all with only 3 games. The end date is also randomized, so depending on when yours ended you could have had it easy. :)

#1004 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Aaaand, done. Baldur's Gate rocks! 6/5 stars for sure.

Now, on to the Witcher 1... 8)

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1005 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 July 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Aaaand, done. Baldur's Gate rocks! 6/5 stars for sure.

Now, on to the Witcher 1... 8)

Yeah, I loved Baldur's Gate. It was not all that long ago I finally got around to playing it. Fantastic game.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#1006 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Gave up on Guild Wars (original game) for now anyway which means probably forever. I just didn't feel like learning another game of its kind, particularly given its age, etc.

Messed around with SPORE. In a way it was sort of relaxing. In a way it felt like a children's game to me. Maybe some other time but probably not since cider ports are like time bombs that go off with OS X upgrades.

Messed around with Sims 3. Kept thinking if I am going to invest any time playing virtual dolls, it probably ought to be with the Aspyr port of Sims 2 instead which I've read is a better game.  Another cider special (thanks EA!) so removed that from the disk too.

I really enjoyed the first Assassin's Creed game a while back in bootcamp. I own AC 2 and Brotherhood on Steam so Steamplay. Fired up AC 2, seems to at least initially be fine but when I go into settings to configure my controller (Logitech 510 which can do analog or x-input) it doesn't see it. I proceed to search online for info and learn that yet again in their unending disdain for computer gamers, Ubisoft screws us with no gamepad support on this port. Presumably Brotherhood doesn't have it either.

So, I configured graphics to max and closed it for maybe later today. The controls look simple enough to learn and remember as there are not too many of them but it might still suck using them in practice. If it does, I might consider putting bootcamp back. I promised myself I would not do that but sometimes I think I am being stupid there. I already own the license for Windows 7 so why deny myself because I have some attitude problem about Windows and Microsoft? Well, I don't know why so probably I don't have a very good reason why. So much for maturity coming with age. I just don't like it! That's why!!! Hate rebooting! Hate it! It makes my life so hard!

So that's gaming here when I am not messing with Garage Band and playing the guitar, etc. I got six tracks done at this point that are amateur hour to be sure, the stuff only my mom could love but I've been having fun and mom does love them. :)

#1007 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

Talos Principle is on sale this weekend on Steam for $15. So I downloaded the demo, played through it, and then bought the game.

Steam Backlog + 1
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1008 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Wow. Ubisoft is so awesome. Neither AC game recognizes my Apple wireless keyboard. Online search tells me i am not alone in experiencing this. So, I remove these two and maybe I'll play them in Windows.

Next up from my good friends at Ubisoft, I try Splinter Cell Conviction. It can't connect to uPlay but they tell me it is okay. I can still play. It crashes repeatedly until it dawns on me to turn off the Steam overlay. Then it works. It sees my keyboard. I get into the game and very first thing it wants me to do in an introductory controls tutorial sequence is to look up using my mouse. This does not work. Online search tells me USB mice do not work at least for some. I am not using a magic mouse to play a game. Maybe I will play this in Windows.

On a bright note, these issues are not big surprises somehow. I am deliberately playing games I expect to have problems with now just to find out what the status is with them not to mention I would like to play them anyway. I thought it wise to try to knock off stuff like this before yet another OS X upgrade in case there was any hope they might still work. But no! Hate Ubisoft! Hate them! Maybe I will like them okay in Windows, uPlay and all.

It seems that tonight's game is actually the challenge of getting Ubisoft games to work so far. I lost. It is time now to see how I fare with EA and Dragon Age Origins Deluxe Edition - a cider special. Oh, boy!

Stay tuned for more complaining unless some miracle happens and I get to do more than try to get games to run this evening.

#1009 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4276 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

And people wonder why I bash Ubisoft all the time...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1010 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:43 PM

Happy news! Dragon Age at 1440p with Max settings runs beautifully. No issues. I am very pleasantly surprised and the game is awesome as I guess everyone already knows anyway. I've been meaning to get to this for ages now. I'm glad I finally am. I am really enjoying it so far although it is very early on of course.

#1011 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8245 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Since I wanted to play something slightly more fast-paced, I installed and fired up the Shadow Warrior remake. And hell, it delivers. Story, dialogue and humor are (deliberately) quite cheesy, but the action is pleasantly old-school, frantic and gory. The Mac version could have used a bit more bug-fixing and optimisation, but runs well enough. And occasionally, the game is even downright beautiful with really impressive looking sceneries.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1012 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 26 July 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Wow. Ubisoft is so awesome. Neither AC game recognizes my Apple wireless keyboard. Online search tells me i am not alone in experiencing this. So, I remove these two and maybe I'll play them in Windows.

With a wired keyboard, I would have an issue where I'd boot up the game, and there would be a random chance of the keyboard and mouse not working. Sometimes I'd have to start the game 3-4 times, but it would eventually work.

Aside from poor performance which an OS update eventually fixed, had no problems with Conviction.

#1013 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostCougar, on 27 July 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

With a wired keyboard, I would have an issue where I'd boot up the game, and there would be a random chance of the keyboard and mouse not working. Sometimes I'd have to start the game 3-4 times, but it would eventually work.

Aside from poor performance which an OS update eventually fixed, had no problems with Conviction.

Well, in my case Ubisoft just doesn't want my input it seems, at all, at least not in OS X.

#1014 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

I too had wired keyboard problems with AC2. MS keyboard, no go. Apple keyboard actually worked though. But after 1-3 hours I'd usually lose keyboard or mouse control (I forget which) and would have to quit, losing some progress.

It says something for how great that game was that I put up with all this. But I did.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1015 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

I've been giving "Victor Vran" a whirl, and it's quite nice. Not as full-featured as D3, maybe, but you can jump and dodge with the WASD keys (or just move with the mouse if you like)—not to mention that Victor has a very familiar voice that will make you feel right at home with shifty-looking monster-hunting types...  

Also fiddled around with "Craft the World" a bit, which is not my usual cup of tea, but very fun and relaxing, kinda like an ant farm, except that the ants are dwarves and make all sorts of stuff out of, uh... other stuff.

Last but certainly not least, "Shadow of Mordor" (50% off today on Steam, how can you lose?) is downloading as I type this...

A little update: "Shadow of Mordor" is a-MA-zing.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3

#1016 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic II lately, which is pure awesomeness. Thanks Aspyr for widescreen and controller support. Yes, it's old, but the story and gameplay is still awesome. Classic BioWare/Obsidian were the best.

And I'll go a bit orc hunting tonight with Shadow of Mordor, if the Mac App Store and my broadband handle the 60 GB well and fast. :)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#1017 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Just finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Apparently you can easily play it with a new-born in your lap!). What a blast! An amazing RPG that stinks of dedication and polish. I am so glad that they updated the game recently, and fixed 95% of the crashes. Still there are a few bugs here and there, especially an annoying one where the game can't save if you haven't done too much in the game since your last save (?). Didn't give me much trouble though as soon as I found out I couldn't save every 5 meters. :P

If you like fantasy RPGs, and dark games (With loads of sex on the side), then this is for you. I really recommend it.

#1018 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 August 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

Just finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Apparently you can easily play it with a new-born in your lap!).

Dude, you call yourself a father?  You call yourself a role model to your child???  You should be playing Marathon with her in your lap.  It's never too soon to introduce children to the venerable classics.  I want her first words to be "Frog blast the vent core!"  Now go, you know what to do.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1019 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 25 August 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Dude, you call yourself a father?  You call yourself a role model to your child???  You should be playing Marathon with her in your lap.  It's never too soon to introduce children to the venerable classics.  I want her first words to be "Frog blast the vent core!"  Now go, you know what to do.
I know, I know. But I also have to teach her to focus on her back log, and I was playing The Witcher when she was born! It is quite evident from this forum, that back logs wasn't a problem when our parents were raising us, so we never learned about it. But now that I finished that game, I can teach her how to game properly!

Posted Image

#1020 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

I always threw a blanked in a laundry basket on my desk and then the baby in that. Then I could just pat them when they fussed. Only good until they start standing but I took what I could get.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD