#21 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

View PostFrost, on September 5th 2005, 06:25 PM, said:

Well, I was just being kind to F/A-18 OIF due to the lack of updated modern flight sims on the Mac. If I'm going to be called on it though, I'll give the pull no punches version and I'll note its lack of realism in several key areas and the fact that it's using an ancient engine whose age really shows when compared to other current flight sims. Plus it's not exactly very moddable, making it next to impossible for the community to correct GraphSim's quirks.

Big A: You might try out the Logitech Freedom Force 2.4 wireless joystick. I've had great experiences with it so far, though it does seem to have a few centering issues on some games.
Yeah, I have a Freedom and it kicks. What works best for me is 50% delinearity on all controls and a deadzone of about 2%. I'm upping the linearity the better I get at flying.

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:18 AM

View PostFrost, on September 5th 2005, 07:25 PM, said:

Well, I was just being kind to F/A-18 OIF due to the lack of updated modern flight sims on the Mac. If I'm going to be called on it though, I'll give the pull no punches version and I'll note its lack of realism in several key areas and the fact that it's using an ancient engine whose age really shows when compared to other current flight sims. Plus it's not exactly very moddable, making it next to impossible for the community to correct GraphSim's quirks.

Big A: You might try out the Logitech Freedom Force 2.4 wireless joystick. I've had great experiences with it so far, though it does seem to have a few centering issues on some games.

I've not played F/A-1 OIF, but I did play all of the earlier versions. What I did not like in the earlier versions was being forced to do it all. Not very realistic. For example to bomb the factory, you must first shoot down the interceptors, kill the AAA, then bomb the factory, and  finally fight some more interceptors on the way out. Was OIF better in this regard?

-Hunt'n

#23 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 14th 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

I've not played F/A-1 OIF, but I did play all of the earlier versions. What I did not like in the earlier versions was being forced to do it all. Not very realistic. For example to bomb the factory, you must first shoot down the interceptors, kill the AAA, then bomb the factory, and  finally fight some more interceptors on the way out. Was OIF better in this regard?

-Hunt'n

Yes. The new version basicly rehashed all of the original missions.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:12 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on February 16th 2006, 09:53 AM, said:

Yes. The new version basicly rehashed all of the original missions.

W

Was it better in that you are not forced to be a one man band or better because all the original missions were rehashed. Or did you mean, it's not better?

-Hunt'n

#25 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 17th 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

Was it better in that you are not forced to be a one man band or better because all the original missions were rehashed. Or did you mean, it's not better?

-Hunt'n

Bad: You are a one man airforce.
Extra bad: You get a Deja Vu because the missions are the same as they were in the older version(s).

The missions from Hornet 1.0 were updated and incorporated in Hornet 2.0, they were then updated and incorporated in Hornet 3.0, they were then updated and incorporated in OIF...

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on February 24th 2006, 07:17 PM, said:

Bad: You are a one man airforce.
Extra bad: You get a Deja Vu because the missions are the same as they were in the older version(s).

The missions from Hornet 1.0 were updated and incorporated in Hornet 2.0, they were then updated and incorporated in Hornet 3.0, they were then updated and incorporated in OIF...

W

:blarf: Thanks for the info! :)

-Hunt'n

#27 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:35 AM

Extra Extra Bad - It's no longer possible to nuke Hawaii. Terrible, isn't it?
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#28 etehoy

etehoy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Actually, I'm interested in seeing if Flight Simulator X will be ported over to the Mac side. Based on a preview from PC Gamer magazine, the gameplay is looking spectacular.

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

View Postetehoy, on March 6th 2006, 07:51 PM, said:

Actually, I'm interested in seeing if Flight Simulator X will be ported over to the Mac side. Based on a preview from PC Gamer magazine, the gameplay is looking spectacular.

I definitely don't want to be a nay sayer, but looking at recent history of flight sims, a weak genre in general, and the number of Mac choices, I would'nt plan on seeing it ported to the Mac. However, I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

-Hunt'n