RTCW: Enemy Territory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 legoses

legoses

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

Is there anyone out there that plays RTCW: Enemy Territory and can help me out a little. I'm having a hard time finding servers, connecting to servers, and the one time when I finally did connect i had terrible lag.  I'm running an ibook G4 with a wireless internet connection.

Someone help please

#2 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:15 PM

http://www.killswitchclan.com/

Very nice servers, very nice people.

Try to look for servers with low pings, usually clan servers not public. If you could list your specs that'd help.

#3 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

legoses, on July 14th 2005, 04:12 PM, said:

Is there anyone out there that plays RTCW: Enemy Territory and can help me out a little. I'm having a hard time finding servers, connecting to servers, and the one time when I finally did connect i had terrible lag.  I'm running an ibook G4 with a wireless internet connection.

Someone help please

View Post

This should be in the Shooter board. ;)

Anyway, could you list your specs, what type of internet connection you have, etc.
eMac 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600, 150 GB HD Mac OS 10.4.7
iPod 5G 60 GB Black :D

Look if you dare...
Some serious ASCII Lovin'

#4 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

Most G4s lag as well, no matter what you set it to, or what ping you get. It's simply because the game probably hasn't been optimized as well for Mac.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#5 legoses

legoses

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

I'm running an ibook G4 with a wireless connection, It has 512 mb ram and the 1.07 Ghz processor.  I'm looking into getting a desktop right now, and trying to decide which one to get.

Thanks for all the help

#6 OneButton

OneButton

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

legoses, on July 15th 2005, 05:22 PM, said:

I'm running an ibook G4 with a wireless connection, It has 512 mb ram and the 1.07 Ghz processor.  I'm looking into getting a desktop right now, and trying to decide which one to get.
Thanks for all the help

View Post

the lag is probably regardless of your machine.

problem finding servers? i don't know.  there are more than plenty of servers filled with a lot of people when i play.  this probably is way wrong, but could it be a firewall problem? a port that isn't open that may be blocking the game from seeing all the ET servers?

:huh:
12" Powerbook 1.33 G4, 1.25gig RAM, Combo drive, 60gig 4200 rpm HD, 64mb nVidia Geforce FX go5200

Current Mac games in process of finishing: UT 2004

#7 megaman

megaman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:00 AM

i tried running this game on my G4 1Ghz ibook G4 512mb, but seriously, this game lags bigtime and is pretty hard to play with the hiccups.  i thought this was because of the underpowered parts and limited bottlenecks of my ibook but i guess this is the case with other macs as well?  i gave up trying to play on my ibook because any decent server with decent amount of players is pretty much unplayable.  of course, i only pick servers with pings of less than 100ms.

#8 Shagz

Shagz

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:57 AM

I think issues are being confused here.  Lag is usually referred to network performance.  Dropped frame rates issues are more computer performance related.  Legoses may be witnessing both issues or just one or the other.

Computer performance wise, laptops are typically not great gaming machines when it comes to 3D games.  iBooks don't have whopping vid cards in them.  RTCW:ET is based on the Quake3 engine which is very vid card dependant.  Don't expect to be running on the highest graphics settings.  My suggestion would be to dumb down the settings to their lowest and try it out.  Try first to host your own game locally and just run around the map and see how the framerates are.  There is a console command cg_showfps 1 (I think...you'll want to double check that) to see the frame rates.  Then hop online and try it out there.  If framerates are good, you might be set.  It may not be pretty, but at least it's playable :)

Network performance is another issue.  Nothing was mentioned about what sort of internet connection you have.  If you are dial-up, your screwed for the most part.  I know guys who played the originally RTCW over dial-up and did well, but their pings were horrible which affects gameplay.  I would imagine that ET is probably more demanding.  It was also mentioned that you have a wireless network, which leads one to believe that you have a shared internet connection.  I'm hoping no one else was messing around on your connection while you were playing.  Otherwise, kick them off and say "Hey, I'm trying to play here!"  :)  There are some console commands that you can tweak to help with network performance.  I don't know them off hand, but I'm sure you can find some via a Google search.  Lastly, most servers have Punkbuster enabled.  I believe there is a setting that will not allow people with high pings to connect to servers.  This maybe why you couldn't get connected to certain servers.  I don't know what ping rates you were getting, but ideally you want to be connected to a server that has a ping <100, but <200 is still playable.

Anyway, I hope this has been somewhat helpful.  Good luck!
Sometimes I go into my own little world,
       but that's OK....they know me there!

#9 megaman

megaman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:25 PM

btw, i noticed that when i go into a server that has few people, the framerate issues and hiccups are non existent, but if its a big server with over 30 ppl, then it starts bogging down my ibook.

#10 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:42 PM

Belcarius, on July 14th 2005, 11:45 PM, said:

Most G4s lag as well, no matter what you set it to, or what ping you get. It's simply because the game probably hasn't been optimized as well for Mac.

View Post

Speaking as the guy who did the port, I beg to differ. What makes you say that? Can you give a performance comparison between a similarly equipped Mac and PC to illustrate this?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#11 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

ET is a great game but the FPS are really bad, even on fast computers, maybe thats why it was never a commerical release. The original PC version is just as bad, maybe they didnt get around to optimizing it before the plug was pulled. Im sure Brad did everything possible to get it running on the mac.

To the original poster, i just think your computer is not up to it. FPS can drop to mid teens on my setup in places and some maps are just plain unplayable. 1.4Ghz Radeon 9000 for your comparision.

There are plenty of servers, with lots of people. Are you ok with other games? if not could be a firewall prob.