94 replies to this topic

#21 preyingmantis36

preyingmantis36

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:51 PM

The 17" 1.8 GHz model is pretty tempting, especially with an education discount. And I don't game much anymore on the computer... but I'm wondering if this thing could play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic decently. I haven't heard much about the progress of the game yet, and I know this thing meets the initial reqs when the game was first announced, but still.... Anyone from Aspyr wanna chime in and tell me it's okay to buy the iMac?

#22 Mordok

Mordok

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

I'm wondering if this thing could play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic decently.

The apple website does show a shot of the iMac with KOTOR on the screen, so I'm assuming that it can run it well. But that is an assumption.

#23 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

Apple's benchmark says the graphics card is great... Seems like most of us are skeptical (yes, I'm skeptical). The design isn't all that amazing looking. However the things that fit into that 2-inch space is impressive.

For some reason, I'm not convinced the graphics card isn't upgradable. They keep claiming to have an 8x AGP slot and would be a waste if you can't fit a card.

I'm hoping the drivers and/or FX 5200 work better than we're thinking.

#24 ace

ace

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:38 PM

$1299!  :sad:

#25 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

$1299!  :sad:

Quite a step up from the entry level eMac ($799), but then, weren't the previous iMac's also $1,299?

#26 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:50 PM

I'm wondering if this thing could play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic decently.

The apple website does show a shot of the iMac with KOTOR on the screen, so I'm assuming that it can run it well. But that is an assumption.

Those types of shots tend to be Photoshopped together.  I doubt it's an actual shot of KotOR running on a new iMac.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#27 ace

ace

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

$1299!  :sad:

Quite a step up from the entry level eMac ($799), but then, weren't the previous iMac's also $1,299?

Well, my iMac's 7 years old... don't remember how much it cost. I use my eMac more anyway, that other piece of crap can't even run osx. I still think that's overpriced.

#28 colin

colin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

The specs of the new iMac exceed the minimum requirements of every game Aspyr currently sells or has announced, including Knights of the Old Republic.  Personally I'm a little underwhelmed by the iMac, although when you take into account the $1299 price tag, its actually a pretty good deal.

I'd also rather an ATI card than the FX 5200, but oh well.  The FX 5200 has at least a year left in it, and it is understandable for the iMac.  (FX5200s in the G5 towers were a little more frustrating.)

But, my take is yeah that's pretty cool, but if you are a hard core gamer or use any killer apps (Photoshop, Final Cut or whatever,) then get  a PowerMac.

Colin
Aspyr QA

#29 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

Give it a rev or two and I bet the vid card gets an upgrade... not sure if they can fit 128mb in there, but I'd sure like that!

And, you can put up to 2gigs of RAM in there, which is plenty for Photoshop, etc....
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#30 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:08 PM

The thing looks SOO cool!
Highly tempted, although I wonder how much it is with the educational discount for me... Its $1800 w/o it...
I want $$$!!! :oops:

#31 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

For some reason, I'm not convinced the graphics card isn't upgradable. They keep claiming to have an 8x AGP slot and would be a waste if you can't fit a card.

Where do you see mention of a slot?  I'd shocked if the card isn't soldered to the board.

Ben

#32 The Cow Level

The Cow Level

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:34 PM

Its not right. Wheres the rest of it!!! I can't accept!!!  :o

#33 jfinete

jfinete

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:40 PM

The GeForce 5200 is adequate today, but it probably won't be year and half from now.  At least with the PowerMacs, you have the option of BTO'ing a better graphics card or upgrading it later on.  No such luck with the iMac; its graphics card is not upgradeable.

Overall, I really like the new design, and I think the 17" is good enough value, but not the 20".  I wouldn't spend $2000 on an un-upgradable desktop.

#34 el-d

el-d

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

The GeForce 5200 is adequate today, but it probably won't be year and half from now.  At least with the PowerMacs, you have the option of BTO'ing a better graphics card or upgrading it later on.  No such luck with the iMac; its graphics card is not upgradeable.

Overall, I really like the new design, and I think the 17" is good enough value, but not the 20".  I wouldn't spend $2000 on an un-upgradable desktop.

"Adequate" is an unfortunately accurate word. For a company that pushes the envelope on industrial design the components are becoming an afterthought. There's more to a computer than prioritizing aesthetics and Apple needs to start realizing that. It's like Ferrari using a Ford Focus engine.

I reinstalled MOH:AA on my work Mac (Dual 2GHz G5/FX 5200) and while it was playable for the most part on max settings at 1024x768 I did see several instances of tearing. That's not something I would have expected from a game that's almost two years old and doesn't come close to pushing the envelope as much as the latest titles.

Future iMac/Doom 3 buyers think again.

#35 Fuzz

Fuzz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

I guess the new case is rather interesting.  What bothers me the most, is the huge empty white space below the screen.  I think it's kinda ugly.  But i guess one could put stickies and notes or something there ;)

Indeed.  I feel they should have put something besides an extra large apple logo there.  Maybe the speakers, or the DVD drive (TAM).  I hope that the next rev gets rid of that... but that's a long way off...

#36 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:10 PM

I guess the new case is rather interesting.  What bothers me the most, is the huge empty white space below the screen.  I think it's kinda ugly.  But i guess one could put stickies and notes or something there ;)

Indeed.  I feel they should have put something besides an extra large apple logo there.  Maybe the speakers, or the DVD drive (TAM).  I hope that the next rev gets rid of that... but that's a long way off...

Uh, those are the speakers!  Duh....

Anyway, to the guy with MOHAA tearing, that was probably actually cause you were getting too many FPS and your CRT couldn't keep up... you need to VSync it or cap the framerate.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#37 Fuzz

Fuzz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

Those are the speakers?   Damn... it looked like it was just plastic up there... my bad...

#38 Homey

Homey

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:41 PM

So true.  People need to set their fanboyism aside and realize that this will not run Doom3 in any playable form.  It will be nothing more than a screenshot generator, literally, and a bad one at that.  And no one should make the excuse that Doom3 is only for hardcore gamers or that only hardcores care about fps over 10.  D3 is a blockbuster because all the casual gamers are scooping it up, too.  And yes, even they care whether their game is smooth enough to follow what's happening on the screen.

But the problem won't be just D3, it'll be every other modern 3D engine: the new MoH, First to Fight, and HL2 (if it ever comes).  You can throw out all the other hopefuls: Halo2, FarCry, Stalker, Fear, etc.  And what about the slew of games that will be based on the Doom engine or Crytek?  Forget those too.

This whole concept that average consumers don't play games (or at least don't care about playing them well) is what's kept Apple in the basement for over a decade.  This iMac is a fantastic design with the greatest OS on earth, but because of Steve's granny computer myopia, it's not going to appeal to anyone who cares even this much |-| about games.  I could excuse it if the iMac just ran modern games badly, but to not run them at all?  And it doesn't take a 'hardcore gamer' to go by the computer store and pick up the latest cool game.  But when an iMac user does, he'll go home and find it unplayable.  And then he'll cry that he fell for Apple's ridiculous marketing hype.  A 9600 or one of the higher mobiles would have been a much more honest answer to the concerns of average computer users/game players.  With this, Apple has clearly abandoned gaming.  And their sales are going to show that gamers are abandoning them. :cry:

#39 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

So true.  People need to set their fanboyism aside and realize that this will not run Doom3 in any playable form.

Bull****.
http://www2.hardocp....1hfNl80X2wuZ2lm

We'll do just fine. Would a better card would have been nice, of course, but I've given up on Apple a long time ago in that area--

#40 justinkim

justinkim

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

Actually, Doom 3 may be playable at 640x480/low on the new iMac.

According to the HardOCP hardware guide a low end PC (1.5GHz) with a GeForce 4 MX 440 runs Doom 3 at those settings moderately well.  I'd guess the new iMac should be able to play it fairly well with some occasional (possibly serious) slow downs.

The real issue will be when the Doom 3 engine starts to be extended and more challenging levels start to be created for other games.