36 replies to this topic

#1 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Because BF1942 does a processor check, i cant play as my 1.4mhz chip shows as 350mhz. A bit of a bummer, but cant be fixed in any patches.

One of those things I guess. The thing that really gets on my nerves is that there was no compassion from Aspyr. The company i got the game from wont give me my money back as the game is not faulty and ive opened the box. Aspyr say its not their problem as i didnt buy it from them, then suggest 'If you would like more functionality with your processor upgrade, I suggest that you contact the company that designed it'. What? more functionality? It works fine with everything else, its just your game!!!

The least they could of done was offer an exchange or something, its cheap for them to blame someone else and leave me with a useless game.

#2 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

Most companies do not support CPU upgrades.  Your case is a good example why.  While their software may work with upgrades, they typically only officially support Macs using the original CPU modules.  

I don't see why they can't add the ability to force start the app in a patch.  It could be a win-win for everyone.  People in your situation could play the game and Aspyr wouldn't get as many complaints about it (theoretically).
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#3 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

Yep, that's why I don't mess with processor upgrades.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#4 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

It'd be a bit tough with an iMac anyway  :wink:

#5 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

It would be nice if it worked, or they could patch it to. It wont and they wont, what really gets me is leaving me with a game i cant play. Feels like a kick in the teeth, im out out pocket through no fault of my own. A little sympathy would of been nice, instead of blaming the cpu upgrade company. My money back or exchange it for another game is the least i expected.

#6 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

It'd be a bit tough with an iMac anyway  :wink:

:-D   True, but this is only one of my Macs.  I've been using Macs all my life and have owned over 2 dozen different types of Macs.  I just love this new design of the iMac, and that's why I make it my main Mac for now.

I tried a processor upgrade on one of my Beige G3s and it was nothing but trouble... I learned my lesson.

FluffyLemon, I'd buy the game off you if you wanted to make me a good deal.... not even sure if it'll run on my iMac, but I'd still like to have it so I can play it when I get one of them new G5 iMacs!     :razz:  8)
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#7 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

Because BF1942 does a processor check, i cant play as my 1.4mhz chip shows as 350mhz. A bit of a bummer, but cant be fixed in any patches.

When you say it can't be fixed in any patches, have you contacted the people who made your CPU upgrade and asked them why their chip reports the wrong speed to the OS? This will probably be the best long-term solution for you, if you happen to run into other software that performs similar CPU checks.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#8 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

It would be nice if it worked, or they could patch it to. It wont and they wont...

We're working on a BF1942 patch right now. Did we really tell you that we wouldn't patch the game?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#9 Dair Grant

Dair Grant

RouteBuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:59 AM

Because BF1942 does a processor check, i cant play as my 1.4mhz chip shows as 350mhz.
We had a customer with a similar problem on Republic - where it turned out that their CPU upgrade was claiming to run at 0Mhz...

In his case he was able to rectify it by applying a firmware update: you might want to check and make sure there's nothing similar available for your card.

-dair
Zonic

#10 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:28 AM

Final Cut pro did a similar check, this however could be fooled by editing the prefs file. Brad, no Aspry didnt say it wouldnt be patched at all. Here is what was said:
Hi Peter,

There will not be a patch that will allow this, the games run only on certain processor speeds (and higher) but they are not optimized to run on upgraded processors. We can't give you a refund for the game since you did not purchase it from us. If you would like more functionality with your processor upgrade, I suggest that you contact the company that designed it.

Jen

I have been in contact with Giga-designs but not a great deal of help. In system profiler it shows as 1.5mhz if i overclock it, but its unstable and i get lots of kernal panics.

I know im gonna miss out on this great game, i just dont like being out of pocket through no fault of my own.

#11 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:19 AM

What about clocking the CPU down?  Will that make everything show up correctly?  If so, try the game out for a bit to see if you even like it.  If not, sell it.

#12 griel

griel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:11 PM

Is the processor check done every time you run the game or only for installation? If it's only for installation you should be able to over or under clock long enough to install and then return to normal speed to play. Have you tried returning the game to the place that sold it to you?

#13 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:47 PM

Tried setting the cpu lower but no joy. The only speed it reports it correct is 1.5mhz

Processor is checked every time you run the game.

Ive tried returning the game. The company i bought it from says they wont take it back as I opened the box. Aspyr says its not their problem.

#14 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:42 PM

Ive tried returning the game. The company i bought it from says they wont take it back as I opened the box. Aspyr says its not their problem.

This is why no companies (except the original upgrade companies) never support processor upgrades.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#15 Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Another problem with CPU upgrades is that they can be somewhat misleading as to how well you'd expect a game to run on that Mac. If for instance, you've got a 350mhz Mac somehow upgraded to 1.4Ghz, then you've probably got your graphics going through a PCI bus graphics card. In which case, anything that needs to throw textures across to the card at any sort of speed (ie games) is going to have a lot of problems.

If the card has a ton of memory on it, then some of this will be aleviated, but any situation where textures have to be swapped between RAM and VRAM is going to be sluggish.

#16 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:28 PM

Another problem with CPU upgrades is that they can be somewhat misleading as to how well you'd expect a game to run on that Mac.

That holds true for non-upgraded systems as well.  The whole L3 cache issue with the PPC 7450 and 7455 chips...  A 1 GHz PowerBook vs a 1 GHz iMac... which one is better?  Unless you know the L3 cache helps a lot, then you would assume they'd give roughly the same performance.

#17 Slothrop

Slothrop

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

Tried setting the cpu lower but no joy. The only speed it reports it correct is 1.5mhz

What model of Mac, OS and CPU model? Some speeds will be mis-identified pre-OS 10.3

If you've made sure you're using the right multipliers for your machine (i.e. 100 or 133 MHz), then it should run and be identified correctly at a lower speed. Try running it closer to it's rated - not overclocked - speed first (probably 1.25GHz?) and then ramp it up.

#18 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:41 AM

When you say it can't be fixed in any patches, have you contacted the people who made your CPU upgrade and asked them why their chip reports the wrong speed to the OS? This will probably be the best long-term solution for you, if you happen to run into other software that performs similar CPU checks.

What he said. I've upgraded several Macs in their lifetimes and generally, the better ones would report their "actual" CPU speed to the OS properly. I don't know what upgrade you have but it sounds like this is not happening, and this is the real problem. Sometimes the CPU upgrades I have used did not report cache speed or size properly (as in, Apple System Profiler couldn't see them properly) but they did always report the CPU speed properly. Bug your CPU vendor.

#19 loneAzdgari

loneAzdgari

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 1278 posts
  • Location:That layer of crap on the floor after a house party

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

There's a hack for BF1942 available online that stops the game from checking the CPU speed. Send me a Private Message or Email (conradq[at]gmail[dot]com) and i'll give you a link.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

Because BF1942 does a processor check, i cant play as my 1.4mhz chip shows as 350mhz.

What upgrade CPU are you using?  This is something I am worried about because I also have an upgraded CPU.  My upgrade is a Sonnet Encore/ST 1Ghz G4 with 2MB of L3 cache.  It reports to my OS via System Profiler that it is indeed a 1Ghz CPU.  Is this assurance enough that this old 450 Mhz Sawtooth will report 1Ghz to BF1942?  I'd hate to throw 50 bucks out the window.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat