#81 dirkpitt

dirkpitt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 04:47 AM

Downloaded the beta and got these in the console:
*** malloc[2261]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x51a8320; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

It might be related to switching between different video options (screen res, quality settings).

Aspyr should also come clean and state that the true recommended requirement for BF1942 is a G5, because I only get at most 15fps on my PB15" 1.33 (768M), 10.3.5, at even low video settings (<1024x768) with less than 16 total guys running around online (or even just 10 bots in singleplayer). 15fps gets you killed in FPS games in less than 15 seconds.

By comparison, CoD on the same machine runs great at full res, full dynamic lighting, and 30+ guys.

#82 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:55 AM

Aspyr should also come clean and state that the true recommended requirement for BF1942 is a G5, because I only get at most 15fps on my PB15" 1.33 (768M), 10.3.5, at even low video settings (<1024x768) with less than 16 total guys running around online (or even just 10 bots in singleplayer). 15fps gets you killed in FPS games in less than 15 seconds.

By comparison, CoD on the same machine runs great at full res, full dynamic lighting, and 30+ guys.

But think of the incredible power and the glory of those 225 frames of flames, shrapnel, and flying lead!  Think of it as "bullet time"... er THEIR bullet time!  Anyway, yeah that sucks.  I bet your problem is your video card not your CPU.  How does your video card match up to their recommended requirements?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#83 dirkpitt

dirkpitt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:40 PM

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 64M vram.
Playing BF1942 in window mode or full screen makes no difference. 640x480 is about the same fps as 1280x854. Shadows on/off, view distance, nada. In short, changing video settings make only a slight difference if at all, so the problem seems to be in the way the game uses the CPU (i.e., <G5 = slow).

#84 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:22 AM

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 64M vram.
Playing BF1942 in window mode or full screen makes no difference. 640x480 is about the same fps as 1280x854. Shadows on/off, view distance, nada. In short, changing video settings make only a slight difference if at all, so the problem seems to be in the way the game uses the CPU (i.e., <G5 = slow).

Just to check, do you have processor performance set to highest? You do that in the Energy Saver preferences... it does a lot for performance in some games.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#85 dirkpitt

dirkpitt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

Yes, Performance = Highest, and I even turned off the Nap checkbox in the CHUD tools Hardware pref pane -- no difference.

I tried the ATI displays utility yesterday and forced FSAA=off, vsync=off, anisotropic filtering=off, and performance="speed". Makes no difference. Either the game is entirely rendered on the CPU and not my video card, or it constantly hits the hard disk (which is slow), or both. Aspyr should acknowledge this problem and correct its misleading sys requirements for this game (or even better, release a patch).

#86 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

Yes, Performance = Highest, and I even turned off the Nap checkbox in the CHUD tools Hardware pref pane -- no difference.

I tried the ATI displays utility yesterday and forced FSAA=off, vsync=off, anisotropic filtering=off, and performance="speed". Makes no difference. Either the game is entirely rendered on the CPU and not my video card, or it constantly hits the hard disk (which is slow), or both. Aspyr should acknowledge this problem and correct its misleading sys requirements for this game (or even better, release a patch).

It's your CPU. I have a PB 1.25 GHz and get similar results. The ATI 9600/9700M has more than enough power for this game.

Honestly, your 1.3GHz G4 should play this game just fine considering the system requirements on the PC are a 500Mhz P3. http://www.eagames.c...bf1942/home.jsp
I don't know if it's a bug in the port, lack of optimizations in OSX and OpenGL, or some other factor, but this game just doesn't perform like it should. Kudos to Aspyr for porting it in the first place, but I wish they could explain the performance discrepancy.

By the way, the best way to make the game faster on G4s is to reduce the view distance. It's a good way to die fast if you're a pilot or sniper, but at least you'll get smooth game play.

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |