Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#261 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

A new question for the Feral newsletter!

What is the best thing about belonging to the Mac gaming community?
Posted Image  I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#262 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3944 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 20 July 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

We smell better!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#263 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 20 July 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

I think it has to be the daily cheddar allowance.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#264 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

We have Battle Cats.

#265 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

>What is the best thing about belonging to the Mac gaming community?

Our shared past, and shared appreciation for what used to be a unique, innovative, and under-appreciated platform for computer games.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#266 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 July 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

We smell better!

View Postnick68k, on 20 July 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think it has to be the daily cheddar allowance.

:laugh:
Posted Image  I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#267 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 20 July 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

Our shared past, and shared appreciation for what used to be a unique, innovative, and under-appreciated platform for computer games.

I read this back today and it sounds much harsher than I intended. At the risk of digging my hole even deeper, I will attempt to clarify.

The Mac gaming market used to be very distinct-- the OS was different, the hardware was very different. We had great games that were Mac-only, and of course many games that never made it to our platform. Some multi-platform games were frankly much better on the Mac than elsewhere.

Nowadays the Mac is still a great platform but for games it is almost entirely a subset of the PC market. And the Mac versions are not better than the PC versions. This isn't all bad: the Mac platform itself is so strong that our fear isn't that Microsoft or Dell will kill it, but that Apple will (e.g. by migrating it to iOS.) And we have more Mac games than ever before. But the distinctiveness is gone.

So: the Mac gaming community I know best is made up of fellow old-timers who recognized that there was something special about Mac gaming, spent their precious time and money on it, and shared the ups and downs with me.

If you are reading this in the IMG forums then you are probably in that community. :-)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#268 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

I read this back today and it sounds much harsher than I intended. At the risk of digging my hole even deeper, I will attempt to clarify.

The Mac gaming market used to be very distinct-- the OS was different, the hardware was very different. We had great games that were Mac-only, and of course many games that never made it to our platform. Some multi-platform games were frankly much better on the Mac than elsewhere.

Nowadays the Mac is still a great platform but for games it is almost entirely a subset of the PC market. And the Mac versions are not better than the PC versions. This isn't all bad: the Mac platform itself is so strong that our fear isn't that Microsoft or Dell will kill it, but that Apple will (e.g. by migrating it to iOS.) And we have more Mac games than ever before. But the distinctiveness is gone.

So: the Mac gaming community I know best is made up of fellow old-timers who recognized that there was something special about Mac gaming, spent their precious time and money on it, and shared the ups and downs with me.

If you are reading this in the IMG forums then you are probably in that community. :-)

I think there's a chance the Mac might become that kind of special gaming platform again that you described it used to be.
It will depend on Apple though, on game developers, and us gamers of course.

From my view a core advantage of the Mac as a gaming platform is the limited amount of distinct hardware configurations.
In that regard it kind of sits right in the perfect spot between PC and consoles: The hardware cycle is 1-2 years mostly, so nowhere near as long as with consoles which make a huge hardware jump only every 5-10 years, yet there's nowhere near the sheer endless number of individual hardware configurations that games have to deal with on Windows or even Linux. This in theory would allow game companies to test and optimize their games for every single Mac it can run on, which I think for example Feral does to a certain extent, thus their in more recent years outstanding ports.
Another advantage could be Apples tight control over AMD, they just have to use it in regard to gaming-optimization of drivers.
It's not like they didn't care, both their Metal efforts and their rather frequent mentioning of games in Mac marketing shows.

I'm confident the best times for Mac Gaming are yet to come.
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#269 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

I very much agree with this. Now of course a lot of this may be nostalgia for a mis-spent youth, but Mac gaming 30-odd (yikes) years ago was special. Uninvited, Shadowgate, Prince  of Persia, Spaceship Warlock, Shufflepuck Cafe, Dark Castle, Spaceward Ho, Monkey Island...great memories. Even when the AAA gruel was particularly thin from the mid 90's I stuck with the platform, because there were still indy developers pushing out great games.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#270 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

I'd like to meet this community, can you direct me to their location.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#271 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 23 July 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'd like to meet this community, can you direct me to their location.

"If you are listening to this, YOU are the resistance."
www.mindthecube.com