8 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:28 AM

According to this article Microsoft won't let you uninstall its new Edge browser.

If you’re not a fan of Microsoft’s new, Chromium-based version of Edge, you’ll probably have to live with it. A new support document has confirmed that Windows 10 users won’t be allowed to uninstall it, nor use its legacy version.

“Beginning with general availability of the new Microsoft Edge in January, Microsoft has migrated Windows customers from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge to the new version in a phased rollout,” the company wrote. “We want to ensure all Windows customers have the latest Microsoft Edge browser for the performance, privacy, security, productivity, and support features it offers.”

A Windows 10 update forces a full screen @MicrosoftEdge window, which cannot be closed from the taskbar, or CTRL W, or even ALT F4. You must press "get started," then the X, and even then it pops up a welcome screen. And pins itself to the taskbar. pic.twitter.com/mEhEbqpIc7

I'm guessing Microsoft's lawyers believe they have found some legal loophole around the 2001 United States v. Microsoft Corp antitrust case. From ¶ 2 on the Wikipedia page; The plaintiffs alleged that Microsoft had abused monopoly power on Intel-based personal computers in its handling of operating system and web browser integration. :cool:
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

Well, the loophole must be their browser market share. Edge is trailing (around 7%), Google Chrome is the new IE at 69 %, so for now Microsoft can't be accused of holding a browser monopoly.

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:21 PM

Also, IE was integrated into the file browser of the system, not just an included app in the OS.  Thats where they got into trouble, because they tried to claim they COULDNT remove it because it was part of the OS.

This just doesn't let you uninstall it, but it doesn't force you to use it.  

And, as Camper pointed out... its not a monopoly anything, as Chrome beats them to death in market share.

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4495 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

It'll just be like Cortana, and some of the other 'burned in' apps in Win10. You can hide and ignore it all you want, but its still there. Someone will prolly figure a way to force-remove it or hard-disable it. Like the fine folks of OOSU10.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 veiligen

veiligen

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

The giants go crazy... In Windows, I cannot understand where are the tabs I have opened, guess why... It's this Edge thing interfering and overtaking my browsing session. True, there is no way to get rid of it.
In Mac, i have Safari damaged. Now, behold! I cannot install it there as it is a built-in app.

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Uh, you can install Safari just fine on Windows.  Or Chrome, or Firefox or whatever.  

Then all you have to do is go into the settings and search for “default apps” - thatll bring up the right control panel, and you just change the default browser.  Chrome and Firefox both have a one-click button that takes youndirectly to the spot you need to change it.  

I certainly dont use Edge on my gaming PC, or my HTPC, both of which are Win10.  I use Chrome.  Works fine.  Though, TBQH, Edge is fine.  Its based on Chromium (the open source version of Chrome) so its basically just a Microsoft skin on top of Chrome.  You can even set up Google cloud integration (so on your other devices with Chrome, like a Chromebook or whatever, the tabs and browsing data from Edge are still sunced as if it were Chrome.)

But.. yeah.  Its easy to just disable Edge and use another browser as default.

#7 veiligen

veiligen

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

I actually mean I am running macOS, and use Safari for games. Or I used to. Now, Safari got damaged, and I do not see the way to reinstall it. I guess it will be reinstalled with another major macOS update, which are frequent enough. Otherwise, it's stupid IMHO that Apple does not have any interim solution.
It's just very weird that Apple has this in-build approach which implies you cannot install Safari manually in cases like mine and, in contrast, Microsoft is no wiser imposing their Edge nightmare. Google muse be very happy.

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:07 PM

Edge isn't a nightmare.  Its literally Chrome with a skin on it (and improved memory management, though this is largely because its based on Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome, not Google's in-house distro).  Its a perfectly usable browser, and if the install gets screwed up, you can refresh it in the Microsoft Store.  

I have no idea about Safari, but ive never had trouble uninstalling it and re-installing it, though since i never use it and only keep it for "website is acting weird, try other browsers" issues.

And what games could possibly require you to use Safari?

#9 veiligen

veiligen

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 06:36 AM

Safari is just the fastest browser around, so it is the best option for resource-cosiming games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet explorer, deja vú, antitrust, microsoft