#61 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

View Postteflon, on March 23rd 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

i believe the max number of large starships is 20. this isnt expandable.
You were able to create 20 large starships?
I seem to max out with a build of 2 frigates, a pair of gunships, and a couple of x-wings or y-wings... more like 10 starship units.

Matt

#62 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

View Postbiedawo, on March 23rd 2007, 11:51 AM, said:

So for those who have played the demo, how do you win the space battle?
Seems that you can build a few units, but you then quickly reach the limit of how many units you can support.  Take them into the asteroid system and you get smoked.

Am I supposed to just repeat this a few times, or is there some way to expand the # of units?  (didn't see much else I could build)

Thanks,
Matt

My advice is to make sure you bring the Millennium Falcon into battle with you (I didn't realize I had it my first few tries). Build only X-Wings and Y-Wings. When you reach the asteroid field, you might want to send the falcon out a few times by itself to kill some tie fighters. After that send everything you have at the enemy (X-wings and the falcon first, then Y-wings), killing ties with the X-wings and falcon, and targeting the components of the space station with your bombers. After that it should be relatively straightforward to destroy the rest of the enemies.

I still took heavy losses though, but it doesn't really matter since its the only space battle in the demo campaign.

#63 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

I actually used bigger ships for the space fight. They didn't survive the fight, but they were drawing away the fire from the little guys and they were able to kick the small destroyer's ass. I love the way it works with targeting specific systems. I went for the hangars first before bothering with anything else, lest they'd be spewing out more and more fighters and bombers.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#64 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:16 AM

View Postbiedawo, on March 24th 2007, 01:40 AM, said:

You were able to create 20 large starships?
I seem to max out with a build of 2 frigates, a pair of gunships, and a couple of x-wings or y-wings... more like 10 starship units.

the game's overall limit is 20, but until you have the resources, territory and other things to field the maximum, then you can do so...

i dunno. its one of those mechanics which is put in there just to make an easy game a bit harder... or so im led to believe.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#65 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

Well, don't forget to call in reinforcements during the course of your battle. As you lose ships you can bring more in, if you have the resources.

I also preferred to take out missile hardpoints with my bomber units... but not before taking down shield generators.

#66 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

What is the shortcut key for pause?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#67 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

You can build far more than 20 large ships in the full game - the size of your fleet/army is dependent on the planets you own and the size of the space station at each.

It's difficult as the rebels going up against the empire in space battles, because they generally have the resources to support a larger fleet than you, not to mention the small population cap in the demo.

Remember that tactics is extremely important in this game - especially taking into consideration which units are effective against which other ones. Capital ships, especially the frigates available in the demo, are not effective offensive units against other large targets. You need your bombers to take out hardpoints, but the bombers can be taken out in seconds by corvettes, so you need to draw the corvettes away using your larger ships. Keep tie fighters engaged by using X-wings, and use your corvettes to protect your capital ships from enemy bombers, to distract enemy corvettes, and to hunt down fighters. The rebel frigates are not very strong offensively, but their power to shields ability makes them useful for drawing fire away from more vulnerable ships. Don't be afraid to use special abilities in general - getting your Xwings or corvettes to another part of the battlefield more quickly can make a difference, and it can be useful to fire an ion cannon blast from your bombers at a capital ship in passing, before moving on to engage some other target. The Millenium Falcon, as mentioned above, is handy, since it's on par with a corvette for taking out fighters, and can turn invincible for a time.

I like to target the space station's hanger first, which stops them from reinforcing the fleet with garrison units. After that, taking out the shield generator allows the rest of your fleet to target hardpoints on the station.

You can win engagements with much larger fleets, if you're cautious, but it takes a lot of tactical management.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#68 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

View Postdojoboy, on March 24th 2007, 09:05 AM, said:

What is the shortcut key for pause?

Good question. I haven't been able to find it if there even is one.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#69 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

According to the manual, there doesn't seem to be a hotkey for that... at least it's not listed in the controls section.

#70 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

View Postnobody, on March 24th 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

You can build far more than 20 large ships in the full game - the size of your fleet/army is dependent on the planets you own and the size of the space station at each.

but you cant field more than 20 in a battle at any one given time.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#71 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

View Postteflon, on March 24th 2007, 05:39 PM, said:

but you cant field more than 20 in a battle at any one given time.

Nope - though that's 20 total 'points' - large ships count for more than one.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#72 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

really?

wow... that sucks. i didnt understand that till now.

#73 Fundin

Fundin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

View Postbiedawo, on March 23rd 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

So for those who have played the demo, how do you win the space battle?
Seems that you can build a few units, but you then quickly reach the limit of how many units you can support.  Take them into the asteroid system and you get smoked.

Am I supposed to just repeat this a few times, or is there some way to expand the # of units?  (didn't see much else I could build)

Thanks,
Matt

You have 2 options. Money is no object in this battle nothing will attack you.

1. Sell all your land units, make loads of space units. I tend to make 5-7 x-wing and 9-11 y-wing bombers, You should be able to take everything out with these.

2. Leave your land units and take ships but concentrate on taking out a  ship each attack, if you don't they just repair.

Some tips.
I work on the biggest ship first, take down the shields then the hanger and engine, it can then not move much has little defense and cannot launch ties.
I often just repeat this and take out the hanger and engines and shields on both ships and the station, they are pretty much sitting ducks then.
It is good to try and take out the big ship first though but i have taken all 3 out by hangers, shields and engines first.
Keep a solid eye on the empire 'mini ships' make sure you have one xwing to each one at all times, need to keep an eye on these as tie mincemeat your bombers.
Use the pause often to re-target and analyse things, i hate RTS in general but i like this game as i can pause think and submit orders then unpuase.

Hope this helps, i have done th land one also, thats great fun enjoy it when you get there. :) If you need tips then let me know but its worth working out yourself, i beat it first time but after another 3 goes you can really streamline what you do and you learn alot, much fun :)

View PostKanamit, on March 24th 2007, 02:45 AM, said:

My advice is to make sure you bring the Millennium Falcon into battle with you (I didn't realize I had it my first few tries). Build only X-Wings and Y-Wings. When you reach the asteroid field, you might want to send the falcon out a few times by itself to kill some tie fighters. After that send everything you have at the enemy (X-wings and the falcon first, then Y-wings), killing ties with the X-wings and falcon, and targeting the components of the space station with your bombers. After that it should be relatively straightforward to destroy the rest of the enemies.

I still took heavy losses though, but it doesn't really matter since its the only space battle in the demo campaign.

Hell i was beating it without the falcon, i didn't even know you could use it! That will make it much easier i must give it a go :) just used falcon for stealing credits!

#74 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

I thought this game took place shortly before Episode IV. Why would they have the Millenium Falcon?

#75 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on March 27th 2007, 06:01 PM, said:

I thought this game took place shortly before Episode IV. Why would they have the Millenium Falcon?

It's the whole kit-and-kaboodle.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#76 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, it actually covers a bit of the pre-story and explains how Han became a bit of a good guy.

#77 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

The only thing I can think of is when he helped Red Hand Squadron attack Ylesia. Did they make up something else or did they stick to the canon story line?

#78 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

Pretty sure they made it up. I'm not super familiar with all the corollary Star Wars novels, but this doesn't have a particularly dedicated plot to it.

#79 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

"According to the manual, there doesn't seem to be a hotkey for that... at least it's not listed in the controls section."

is the manual hard copy or pdf?

#80 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

The version I played was the beta, so it may change for purchases out of the box, but my manual was a PDF manual.