• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Diablo IV was announced at BlizzCon today, but PC/consoles only. No Mac version for you bunch of losers!
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

another diablo..... so much creativity .... blizzard sucks ass.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

I have been wanting to boot into Boot Camp more frequently.... Have to see if it is as good as Diablo II, as Diablo III was not. Probably wont be since it supports consoles.

#4 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

You know, this is seriously the first time I've considered getting a console or Windows box for entertainment purposes. I've been a die-hard Mac user since 1991, with all that entails, but I'm just missing out on too much good stuff at the moment.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2823 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

I know its not the first game Blizzard didn't release for Mac, but this feels like the way its going to be for the foreseeable future. End of an era.

That unwelcome news aside..  I didn't even make it all the way through the gameplay trailer. Diablo has often been more fun to play than to watch, and this one has gone all-out with the dark pallette. They call it "an indisputable return to darkness", which feels like it was directed at the people who overreacted when they saw a screenshot with green folliage and a rainbow from the first act..

I would have liked to play it though.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

lol the way blizzard has been acting who gives a frak what they release. They don't deserve a dime and are doing Mac folks a favor. Baring their terrible political positions they haven't released anything reasonably fun in years except WoW Classic and customers nearly needed a blood sacrifice to get them to do that.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2823 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:01 PM

they haven't released anything reasonably fun in years except WoW Classic

I respectfully disagree; I liked both Starcraft II and Diablo III.

I won't lose too much sleep over D4 specifically; I expect sure it will be fine but maybe not dramatically different from D3 (which still runs and has quite a bit of new content since I last played it.) But there will be other games after that that I might be more interested in. It's also the symbolism of the departure-- Blizzard was uncommonly committed to Macs for a very long time.

Ah well. Back to watching Borderlands 3 download...
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

I log on to D3 now and again and play it for a few weeks. A decent game still.

From what I understand (which may be completely wrong), D4 is based on the Overwatch engine, which is probably why it won't be coming to Mac. I'm happy to be corrected over that.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8472 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:12 AM

View Postnick68k, on 01 November 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

No Mac version for you bunch of losers!
So, this has been confirmed? I did notice that the game only was announced for "PC" and consoles, but the information available before I went to bed yesterday were thin to say the least.

If this turns out to be true, this would really have a different quality than not releasing Overwatch for Mac: Blizzard did have a valid excuse back then, with Apple's OpenGL massively sucking and Metal being total unfinished crap, but by now Metal has matured and has proven to be performant enough (at least in capable hands).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Boland

Boland

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:20 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 November 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

So, this has been confirmed? I did notice that the game only was announced for "PC" and consoles, but the information available before I went to bed yesterday were thin to say the least.

If this turns out to be true, this would really have a different quality than not releasing Overwatch for Mac: Blizzard did have a valid excuse back then, with Apple's OpenGL massively sucking and Metal being total unfinished crap, but by now Metal has matured and has proven to be performant enough (at least in capable hands).

And that's the kicker... Blizzard themselves are doing great things with metal. WoW is as fast on macOS as it is on Windows with the multithreaded rendering enhancements. They've added metal back into HOTS and removed OpenGL, and Warcraft 3 reforged is also using metal...

#11 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:29 AM

Clearly, the Mac is not worth Blizzard's time, and it's not due to technical reasons (despite what they say).
However, I wonder why they don't release games for tablets, where the market is huge.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4164 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:03 AM

I will be following this one. The Diablo franchise has always been one of my favorites. I loved the way Diablo 3 looked, but the story was a bit meh, and the gameplay wasn't exactly up to Diablo I and II standards, although I am not entirely sure why? I think that I don't liked the increase pace of speed that Diablo 3 introduced. It was always just a matter of getting to the next monster, finish it of in a few second, and then move to the next. And the weird thing is that this is exactly how Diablo 2 was, so why it feels different, I am not sure. Maybe it is all the flashy colorful magics that Diablo 3 introduced, or maybe it is just nostalgia for Diablo 2 that has caused Diablo 3 to feel so empty and superficial.

World design looks top notch for Diablo 3, although I am a bit afraid that it will be too color lacking. I like the introduction of Lillith, and it does appear they've shaken up what the Diablo game is supposed to be, which I like.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#13 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 November 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

tbf, Blizzard haven't (yet) explicitly said it's not coming for Mac, but the press release (and mini site) just lists availability for 'PC, PS4 and XBox One'. On past form, Mac compatibility has always been listed by the company.

Update: See post #17 below: confirmation from Blizzard that there's no Mac version under development at present

View Postjeannot, on 02 November 2019 - 02:29 AM, said:

Clearly, the Mac is not worth Blizzard's time, and it's not due to technical reasons (despite what they say).
However, I wonder why they don't release games for tablets, where the market is huge.

Diablo Immortal is coming to the iPad, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the gaming community.

#14 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

Looks great. The painterly look is sure interesting. I'm glad they took the criticism to heart and ditched the cartoons.

Now that Chris Metzen is no longer at Blizzard, I wonder if the narrative will be better too (Not that I play Diablo for the narrative). From what I've heard, though, the WoW story is still a dumpster fire.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 November 2019 - 04:03 AM, said:

I loved the way Diablo 3 looked, but the story was a bit meh, and the gameplay wasn't exactly up to Diablo I and II standards, although I am not entirely sure why? I think that I don't liked the increase pace of speed that Diablo 3 introduced. It was always just a matter of getting to the next monster, finish it of in a few second, and then move to the next. And the weird thing is that this is exactly how Diablo 2 was, so why it feels different, I am not sure. Maybe it is all the flashy colorful magics that Diablo 3 introduced, or maybe it is just nostalgia for Diablo 2 that has caused Diablo 3 to feel so empty and superficial.

Maybe it had to do with the lack of skill trees? (Which they are bringing back.) It was hard, if not impossible, to make a bad character, and "respecs" cost nothing, so you never felt like you were building anything in respect to your character. Call me casual, but I kinda liked it, in a way--I'm too old to read up on effective builds online for hours.

Yeah, that argument went out the window when they announced Overwatch for Switch. :teehee: 2 is coming to Switch as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they port Diablo 4 eventually to Switch too.

#15 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

They used to do the Mac versions mainly because they could.

These days, if it isn't insanely profitable, they're not going to do it. Which means no more Mac versions in future unless it's something mobile or casual.

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4164 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

The devs have stated that the pacing of the game will be slightly slower, so you can take in the scenery. That is a really good thing.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#17 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

More from Blizzard

"Q: Is Diablo IV coming to consoles?
A: We are working with our partners to bring Diablo IV to both PC and console, including Xbox One and PS4. We have no additional platforms to announce at this time."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diablo, lol, windows, sadface