the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 July 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

pssss friend. 8GB > 512MB

Yes, I was trying to add my results to further the notion that it was the VRAM size that caused the problem, not the video GPU.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 July 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Yes, I was trying to add my results to further the notion that it was the VRAM size that caused the problem, not the video GPU.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Attached File  crying-cat.gif   1.4MB   16 downloads
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8715 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostIrishman, on 12 July 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Have you watched Youtube playthroughs of games based on idTech 4? PCs and Macs using more than 512MB of VRAM (which is what my Mac is limited to) show much, much less visible texture pop-in.
Well, okay, 512 MB isn't much nowadays.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3262 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:00 PM

I just used Bootcamp on a 2018 Mac Mini to install Win10. Most of the time was spent cleaning up my main drive to make room. The install itself painless- i didn't even need to format a USB drive; it found and used the Windows installer directly from my Downloads folder.

I then got it working with my eGPU with almost no effort. The egpu.io Bootcamp guidewas a bit scary because it tries to cover all contingencies. But I checked my configuration (CPU, enclosure, GPU) on their builds page to read up on actual experiences. Reports were that it was easy, but needed 3 "blind" reboots from a blank screen before it would magically start working. I only had to reboot blindly twice, and at least one of those was probably unnecessary (I had forgotten to switch my monitor from HDMI to Displayport.)

Sadly, my old Win10 license key no longer works - I guess it got used up in 2017 when I Bootcamped my previous Mac. I'm not against paying for another key if I end up using the partition more than occasionally.

It's a shame Apple is discontinuing Bootcamp; it seems like the process has only gotten easier.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#26 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:20 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 September 2021 - 12:00 PM, said:

Sadly, my old Win10 license key no longer works - I guess it got used up in 2017 when I Bootcamped my previous Mac. I'm not against paying for another key if I end up using the partition more than occasionally.

As long as it's a retail key you can call Microsoft and reactivate it.

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3262 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 09:27 PM

View PostCougar, on 01 September 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

As long as it's a retail key you can call Microsoft and reactivate it.
It was a Win7 upgrade. Great suggestion though. I have another Win10 license running in VMWare that *might* be a retail key. Maybe I'll try to use that key in Bootcamp instead.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#28 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

FWIW, you can get Win 10 OEM keys for about 15-20$.  

I wouldnt buy anything ELSE from the places you can usually get them, but the OEM keys are fine.  They are just keys bought overseas for cheap as a bundle of OEM keys because of local currency differences and then broken up and resold.  Ive deployed a few hundred and never had one fail, or if it did, it was immediately replaced by the seller within minutes.  Microsoft doesnt care because they dont have to support them.  

Also, you could just not enter a key.  Other than not being able to customize Windows and not being able to turn off the telemtrey stuff, and a watermark… Win 10 will run forever with no key.  And Microsoft does not care at all.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 September 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

It was a Win7 upgrade. Great suggestion though. I have another Win10 license running in VMWare that *might* be a retail key. Maybe I'll try to use that key in Bootcamp instead.

Decent chance theyll re-auth it anyway.  Just tell them you had to replace hardware because of a hardware failure.

#29 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 02 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 02 September 2021 - 10:23 AM, said:

FWIW, you can get Win 10 OEM keys for about 15-20$.

That's too expensive. You can find at less than $5.

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8715 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 September 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

It was a Win7 upgrade.

View PostTetsuya, on 02 September 2021 - 10:23 AM, said:

Decent chance theyll re-auth it anyway.
I was still using my Win 7 key for my Win 10 Bootcamp partition until recently. MS re-authenticated it two or three times in the years inbetween. So, I don't think there should be really an issue.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#31 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:20 PM

You can also just create a Microsoft account and tie the serial to that.  

Then you can move it around as much as you want.  

I haven’t had to have a key re-authed for my personal machines in 5+ years because of that despite my HTPC being a totally new machine.  

You can just manage which key is assigned to which machine.  

Its the best way to deal with it if you use a lot of VMs, too, because when you create a new VM it thinks thats new hardware and will want you to re-auth, etc… unless youve just assigned it to an MS account and de-authorize the “old” VM.

#32 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3262 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:30 PM

Disappointingly, I have been unable to get an old hand-me-down Oculus Rift working in Bootcamp.
  • When I try to boot Win10 with my LG 34GK950F plugged into the Mini's HDMI port, some of the resolutions are messed up. (Works fine with DisplayPort.)
  • If the eGPU is plugged in at the same time (which is what I need to feed the Oculus) Windows doesn't finish booting - it cycles between garbage and the Windows logo.
Win10 Bootcamp also doesn't to like this same monitor plugged into both HDMI and Displayport. Sure it's a stupid setup because I have to switch the monitor's inputs to see the two desktops, but the point is it works in OS X but not in Bootcamp. So this might not strictly be an Oculus issue.

Next time I am feeling energetic I might try again with an old 4:3 Dell monitor, just to change one of the variables.

www.mindthecube.com