http://www.racer.nl/

#2 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:31 AM

Actually, that has been around for a while.  They have finally updated it.  It is quite a good racer, though not quite as exciting as something like Colin McRae or Need for Speed.

Mandrake628

#3 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:45 AM

Mandrake628, on August 8th 2005, 11:31 AM, said:

Actually, that has been around for a while.  They have finally updated it.  It is quite a good racer, though not quite as exciting as something like Colin McRae or Need for Speed.

Mandrake628

View Post

I think by racer, Ari meant : Ruud van Gaals "Racer", not a racer. There is only one Racer, it has been around for a while, but finally Ruud managed to update it for OSX. Also, there is no "they", it's all done by Ruud himself. So this is quite an achievement, and you cannot compare it to CMR or NFS, which have huge development teams behind them,and,unlike Racer, cost money too.  Also, except for NFS Porsche, Racer is a much better car simulator than NFS 1,2,3,4,6,MC and NFSU, which are nice games, but really bad in simulating the physical behaviour of a car.
I suggest you try the new version of racer, and be amazed by the big leap forward this sim has made since version 0.5. Have fun, it's free! :)

#4 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

Wow...finally.  I hope less than 100% of the new user created tracks/cars are enormous and give my 800MHz iMac 3FPS.

#5 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:57 AM

Sorry if I got any info wrong.  I wasn't comparing it to such mainstream titles.  What I was meaning is that it isn't an arcade racer, but instead, is a simulater.  Like the relationship between X-Plane and lesser titles.  

Mandrake628

#6 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Be warned, the default racer.ini may be very slow on your Macs. I have a dual 2GHz G5, Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB, OSX 10.3.9 and the new Racer was extremely laggy at first, but at Race Sim Central forums one of the guys pointed out that a little change can make a huge difference...

Open racer.ini and there almost at the bottom is a section for timing and a line:
integration_time=1
Change that value to 2, so that it reads: integration_time=2 and your fps will probably double without any noticeable problems - mine did! :)

You can check the discussion here:
http://forum.rscnet....ad.php?t=218058

Cheers,
Ari

#7 Pzailokyba

Pzailokyba

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

Moi Ari! Oletko kokeillut nettipeliä vielä?

First time I played this new version of Racer I thought this game was too laggy to play. The I disabled few things in racer.ini and now it works fine. I play this game on Dual 1,25Ghz G4 with Ati Radeon 9000pro, 1Gb of RAM and Tiger.

#8 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:37 PM

Pzailokyba, on August 8th 2005, 06:23 PM, said:

Moi Ari! Oletko kokeillut nettipeliä vielä?

View Post

Moi!

No, I haven't tried multiplay with this version. I still am tweaking my Momo racing wheel settings to make the response as good as I can get.

By the way, check that integration_time line I mentioned, if you haven't done it already. You'll be surprised how great an impact to frames it gives...

#9 Muddy

Muddy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

Finally! I've been waiting for an update for Racer for what have must been a year now. To be honest I thought Ruud had given up on the Mac version.

#10 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:07 AM

Muddy, on August 9th 2005, 02:39 AM, said:

Finally! I've been waiting for an update for Racer for what have must been a year now. To be honest I thought Ruud had given up on the Mac version.

View Post

As far as I understand from the Race Sim Central forums, Ruud's Mac was rather ancient, and he had trouble compiling an OSX version of Racer. Recently, with the help of donations from RSC members, he was able to buy a new Mac or use somebody else.

#11 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:09 AM

Mandrake628, on August 8th 2005, 03:57 PM, said:

Sorry if I got any info wrong.  I wasn't comparing it to such mainstream titles.  What I was meaning is that it isn't an arcade racer, but instead, is a simulater.  Like the relationship between X-Plane and lesser titles. 

Mandrake628

View Post

If X2 is anything like Racer, but for spacecrafts, I'm looking forward getting X2 in my mailbox soon, because I ordered it recently  :D

#12 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

X2 is nothing like Racer.  It's more of an economic/combat simulation, the flying isn't very fast or fun.  It is pretty, though.

Mandrake628

#13 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

Well, the new version gives me less than 1 FPS.  I tried that integration_time=2, but "doubling" .145 FPS doesn't really help me out.

800MHz iMac, 512mb, 10.3.9, GeForce2MX 32MB

#14 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

Sillek,

Check these instructions Ruud has written: http://www.racer.nl/faq.htm#q18

Hopefully you can get some useable frames tweaked out of it, but the harsh truth is that iMacs never were too hot for CPU intensive gaming and yours isn't too new either.

#15 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:19 AM

hey, is there anyone else that cant open the game? when i try open it, a black window shows that says "Qlib" and then disapears... unexpectdly quit

i have a Dual 800@867 with a 9800 PRO and a M-Audio Revolution 5.1