#1 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

"Visually Stunning Open World Adventure"

"Offering players dozens of locations to explore and over 500 puzzles to solve across an open-world expanse, The Witness – which has already made it into Apple’s own ‘Editor’s Choice’ selection, was built to respect you as an intelligent player, Blow says, as it treats your time as precious and offers no unrealistic fillers as may be found in other open world titles in the genre."

"Requiring a Mac that both supports Apple’s Metal graphics environment and that runs OS X 10.11.6 (or later), the game also commands the minimum processing power of an Intel Core i5 at 1.8 GHz, at least 4GB of FREE RAM and 5GB of available space in order to install successfully.
Discover The Witness for $39.99."

Can I post the link to the article, or is that a No No?

#2 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Apparently 10.11.6's openGL doesn't have the power to run it? Isn't OS X's openGL 4.3? You'd think with Witness being a indie game that a game made for directX11 would be enough for it.

This wouldn't be a problem if Metal supported 2011 macs with i5s. Till then, wouldn't it work if I used Wineskin?
What is a man?

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17317 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostG_Player, on 17 March 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Can I post the link to the article, or is that a No No?

No, no, no... not a No No, nope, not a No No.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8042 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostIchigo27, on 17 March 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Apparently 10.11.6's openGL doesn't have the power to run it? Isn't OS X's openGL 4.3?
macOS actually only supports OpenGL 4.1 fully, and some parts of 4.2. If we had support for at least 4.3, we wouldn't have the problems with a certain games not being portable to the Mac.

You'd think with Witness being a indie game that a game made for directX11 would be enough for it.

You can't generalise that. Such things could sometimes hinge on a single available feature. It's also possible that it's simply a matter of choice.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 18 March 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

[/size][/font][/color]
You can't generalise that. Such things could sometimes hinge on a single available feature. It's also possible that it's simply a matter of choice.

Yes, despite it being an "indie game" it's pretty graphically complex, with a custom engine. the game took like seven years to make. Don't let the styalized art style fool you. I also expect using Metal will also make the iOS port easier/possible.

#6 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

MacSurfer had a link on Friday. This is where the announcement of the game is:

http://razmag.com/20...s-lands-on-mac/

@Ichigo27 -
You ask very good questions that I lack the technical knowledge to answer. There are some very smart folk here who might chime in.  : )

#7 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

View PostCougar, on 18 March 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

I also expect using Metal will also make the iOS port easier/possible.

The iOS port might be released on March 20th.
I really don't know which one to get.

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 19 March 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

I say Mac, because the game is gorgeous and it will look better there. And you'll have a bigger screen. You can also pick it up fairly cheap via trades because it was in the Humble Freedom Bundle. That said, the UI is *perfect* for your finger.

Apple should really have a cross-buy option for Mac-iOS apps. It'd make more people use the damn MAS.

#9 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostCougar, on 19 March 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

You can also pick it up fairly cheap via trades because it was in the Humble Freedom Bundle. That said, the UI is *perfect* for your finger.
The Witness is not available for Steam on the Mac yet and there was no DRM-free version for the Mac included in the Humble Freedom Bundle either.
Right now it is only available on the MAS.

Apple should really have a cross-buy option for Mac-iOS apps. It'd make more people use the damn MAS.
I totally agree. Actually, APFS might be a step into that direction.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8042 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 19 March 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

The Witness is not available for Steam on the Mac and there was no DRM-free version for the Mac included in the Humble Freedom Bundle either.
Right now it is only available on the MAS.
But the Steam version is imminent. The game is already shown as installable, though it's still a 0 kB download. So it can't be far away.

I totally agree. Actually, APFS might be a step into that direction.
Why should the new filesystem play any role for this? iOS and macOS already share the same filesystem right now.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Correct, of course, my bad.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3740 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 March 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Why should the new filesystem play any role for this? iOS and macOS already share the same filesystem right now.
Actually no. macOS currently runs HFS+, iOS used to run HFSX, but as per 10.3 runs on AFPS. It won't be until macOS 10.13 that they share everything.

That it won't have any effect on app releases what so ever, there we agree though.. :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8042 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 March 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

Actually no. macOS currently runs HFS+, iOS used to run HFSX,...
HFSX is actually simply the same case-sensitive HFS+ subvariant available under macOS.

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3740 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 20 March 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

HFSX is actually simply the same case-sensitive HFS+ subvariant available under macOS.
Thanks, did not know that!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8042 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

The Steam version is live.

The game runs well (it defaulted to high settings and 1080p on my 2016 rMBP), but there are noticeable framerate drops. I can't give any numbers, since the Steam overlay does apparently not work with Metal applications.

#16 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

The DRM-free Mac version of 'The Witness' was added to the Humble Freedom Bundle last week.

#17 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 19 March 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

I say Mac, because the game is gorgeous and it will look better there. And you'll have a bigger screen. You can also pick it up fairly cheap via trades because it was in the Humble Freedom Bundle. That said, the UI is *perfect* for your finger.

x2

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Not for me. I am only into this stuff for the carnage and explosions. I have no desire to use any more brain cells than the bare minimum necessary for murder and destruction. Fortunately, the majority of video games meet my simple minded criteria quite nicely.

I hope all of you more cerebral folks enjoy the challenge and pretty visuals in this peculiar game.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell