19 replies to this topic

#1 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:18 AM

A) I do have an 27" iMac from Late 2012 with 10.14.6.
B) I also have a 13" MBA from 2009 with 10.6.8.

Both machines have steam installed.

A) has all Games I purchased installed,
B) has only a view games I purchased installed

I would like to setup a macmini from 2009 with 10.6.8. in order to play (if possible all) the steam games on that machine.
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#2 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:26 AM

I did a reinstall of the MBA not long ago and as far as I remember this I got it working with 10.6.8.
I downloaded the steam-client for 10.6.8 and placed a special "steam.cfg" in the steam-app.
This prevents the steam-app from updating all the time, it stay's on the version that is installed.

After that I made a reimport of the games I exported on my NAS.

I remember that this worked for the MBA, but now it does not work for the Macmini.

Steam must be "online" in oder to let me Import games that I formerly exported,
if I go offline this feature does not work. But when I am only the steam-client tells me
that there are no updating-servers available, but I will not update or download the game
from steam, I will only reimport my backup.

I did some testing but did not found a solution yet.

Now I will simply do a copy of my games from the "application-support/steam", but I am
pretty sure that this will not work too, especiall if I try this with the actual steam on my iMac.

steam.cfg
BootStrapperInhibitAll=Enable
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2797 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

I give you major beans for trying so hard to get this to work. I wonder if you'd be able to virtualize the old Mac with the games already installed, and run the VM on new hardware. You'd pay the performance price of running in a VM of course. On the plus side you could turn off the VM's network independent of the Mac.

Keep us posted!

This mess is exactly why I'm trying to avoid Steam purchases going forward. There is no reason Steam couldn't support a library-only client that only does the downloads and DRM check. But they never will.

I recently decided to make a point of paying more for DRM-free games when possible. Sadly it often isn't.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#4 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

On my MBA 10.6.8 steam is working and I can play HL2/EP1/2/LostCoast.

SteamClient: Oct 14 2015 12:24:53
SteamAPI: v017
Steam-Pakage-Version: local

Re-Import of my backup is not possible! anymore.
So I need another way to transfer the working MBA installation to my mini.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#5 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 September 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

I give you major beans for trying so hard to get this to work. I wonder if you'd be able to virtualize the old Mac with the games already installed, and run the VM on new hardware. You'd pay the performance price of running in a VM of course. On the plus side you could turn off the VM's network independent of the Mac.

Keep us posted!

This mess is exactly why I'm trying to avoid Steam purchases going forward. There is no reason Steam couldn't support a library-only client that only does the downloads and DRM check. But they never will.

I recently decided to make a point of paying more for DRM-free games when possible. Sadly it often isn't.

Exactly. I just refuse to use Steam or in general buy any games that require online activation. When I buy a game I just want to be able to always play them. It's just such a shame almost all games nowadays require online activation. Although I think we Mac gamers are actually quite lucky. We can buy games like the latest Tomb Raider games and the Life Is Strange series from the Mac App Store where Windows users will be forced to use Steam. The same was also true for games like Rage and Duke Nukem Forever until they were recently removed because of the shift towards 64-bit.

#6 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Beside that steam-problem. I bought some games on "delivery2mac" and on "macgamestore".

Blitzkrieg: no serial is working, don't know why (i got two or three back then, because they changed something in the rights management)
AlienShooter2: Serial is working, but the "backend" tells me that I installed it on too many machines. I last played it perhaps 5-6 years ago, it's not installed beside on that macmini. Great!
Update: placed a ticket on macgame-store-support #10091
Rage: I will test to copy the working version from my iMac to my macmini. (Game+ApplicationSupport)

more to come. :(
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#7 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Google for "still_running_os_x_1068_or_earlier_you_can_still"
I think I remember to get the old steam-client from that, but I do not remember how to get my games in that client.

"Duh! If such a link were available, this wouldn't be an issue. Valve doesn't make old versions available. I can understand you not trusting my link, but you could easily run a virus checker on the app in it. If you have an archive copy of a functional Steam install, you can use it. You just have to tell the Steam client not to update: You have to make a text file containing the line "BootStrapperInhibitAll=Enable" (without the quotes). Name the file Steam.cfg. Find the Steam app, right-click, select Show Package Contents. Within the package, open Contents, then Mac. Copy the Steam.cfg file into there. Once you do that, the Steam client will never update, but the games will. That's all I did to create the linked copy, other than deleting 250 MB of installation packages out of it."

MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4355 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, I thought it extremely rude of Steam to not do a self-EOL build for prior OSX when they updated steam above multiple OSX versions. October 2018 they jumped up to 10.11 minimum, and pushed an update to everyone on lesser OSX that effectively killed steam to run. Such brilliant minds over there :P

A company that has how many millions/billions of revenue and many multiple employees... yet cannot do something so simple as an EOL build to maintain support? Hell, even the "one guy" who codes the MacGameStore.app, did EOL builds for even 10.4 !!

Anyways, got off track.

Hopefully you figure it out. I know on PC you can just copy the entire steam folder from one machine to another, and launch and it usually figures itself out and finds all the installed games OK. However... on Mac, I dunno. Steam has make a lack luster piece of crap app on the mac side (really no idea why they even bothered, tbh).

Side note: App Store employs online activation too. And its even more rigid in their ways. So I'm not sure its a better alternative to truly DRM-free mac games (which are hard to find nowadays).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

In short: it works! I played HL2 ten minutes ago on a fresh install on my macmini 2009 with 10.6.8 :) YEAH!
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2797 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 18 September 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yeah, I thought it extremely rude of Steam to not do a self-EOL build for prior OSX when they updated steam above multiple OSX versions. October 2018 they jumped up to 10.11 minimum, and pushed an update to everyone on lesser OSX that effectively killed steam to run. Such brilliant minds over there :P

I'm told they pulled a similar stunt for an old version of Windows. So at least they are platform-agnostic in how poorly they treat some of their most loyal customers.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2797 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

Incidentally my idea to virtualize the Snow Leopard machine has a difficulty I forgot to mention. Snow Leopard's license specifically prohibits virtualization so VMWare (and I think Parallels) contain a software check that prevents it. You either have to get a copy of Snow Leopard Server somehow, or hack the OS to convince the VM that that you are running Snow Leopard Server.

Setting up a Snow Leopard VM is on my list of things to do someday, but I probably won't ever get around to it.
www.mindthecube.com

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8453 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 September 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

I'm told they pulled a similar stunt for an old version of Windows. So at least they are platform-agnostic in how poorly they treat some of their most loyal customers.
XP and Vista, which were 18 and 12 years old respectively at the time Valve dropped support. 0.22% of Valve's user base used XP at that time, and Vista hadn't even enough users left to qualify to be listed in the statistic.

Yeah, that's really no way to treat these masses of loyal customers.

View Postdr.zeissler, on 17 September 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Beside that steam-problem. I bought some games on "delivery2mac" and on "macgamestore".

Blitzkrieg: no serial is working, don't know why (i got two or three back then, because they changed something in the rights management)
AlienShooter2: Serial is working, but the "backend" tells me that I installed it on too many machines. I last played it perhaps 5-6 years ago, it's not installed beside on that macmini. Great!
Deliver2Mac had a stupid activation limit for quite a while: you could only install and activate their games for 3 times or something. Not concurrently, in total. I don't remember that the MGS ever had such a limit, except maybe when it came from the publishers.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

The MacGameStore-Support has closed the ticket and told be to go to virtual-programming with that issue.

https://www.vpltd.com I see white on white, what do you see?

I installed Riddick a view minutes ago and this installation registered just fine. Beside that, fantastic game.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8453 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 18 September 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

The MacGameStore-Support has closed the ticket and told be to go to virtual-programming with that issue.
Fits what I mentioned, as Deliver2Mac in fact is Virtual Programming. Makes sense that there is the same stupid activation limit.

https://www.vpltd.com I see white on white, what do you see?
Yup. White page.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 September 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

You either have to get a copy of Snow Leopard Server somehow, or hack the OS to convince the VM that that you are running Snow Leopard Server.

Apple still sells Snow Kitty Server (well they still did in April when I ordered some copies). You have to call and ask for MC588Z, it's 19.99. The normal sales folk should be able to get it but if you DM I can give you the direct line for someone in sales who specializes in the old stuff.

I will say that virtualizing 10.6 doesn't end up as great as you might hope. A lot of games of that era expected video support that fusion doesn't handle well. It's possible parallels is better in this regard.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#16 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2797 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 18 September 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Apple still sells Snow Kitty Server (well they still did in April when I ordered some copies). You have to call and ask for MC588Z

I will say that virtualizing 10.6 doesn't end up as great as you might hope. A lot of games of that era expected video support that fusion doesn't handle well.

Both good tips-- thanks!
www.mindthecube.com

#17 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

I tested both, only one solution is working for me in 10.6.8.

Do a clean install of the old steam-client linked above.
Copy the content of "steam" found under user/library/application-supports/steam from a machine that has all games already downloaded and installed to your old machine.
Start steam and go directly to offline-mode.
All games that can be started under 10.6.8 will work, the newer games that require 10.7+ will obviously not run. They can be deleted.

The Backup and Restore feature of steam will not work!

I'll have a look what games that will run under 10.6 are still available on steam. Perhaps I will buy some.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#18 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:12 AM

Games that might run on that steam-client (and I don't have them bought yet)

- HL/HL:Source
- ColdWaters
- SyderArcade
- ShadowGrounds
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#19 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

Updates:

- Its NOT! possible to use that 10.6.8 steamclient even under 10.7.5 to install DukeNukem because that damn game does not install from dvd, it will always tries to download from the steamclient and that's not working.
- I do not get RAGE installed on my macmini. The installed Version from the iMac does not start on the mini, it always requires a key and reports always that it's wrong but it is not. (servers down)
  I have asked "NMac Ked" if he/she/it would sent me the no-dvd.
- I do not have an updated 10.7/10.8/10.9 steamclient, I am not sure how I will fix this.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#20 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

Does anyone have a steamclient for 10.7.5 ?
MacMinis 2005 - 2011