15 replies to this topic

#1 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:55 AM

Any suggestions on an mmorpg that I can play on my 2009 Mac Mini that'll run half-way decently on a dial-up modem?
I prefer a fantasy setting, space is kinda cold and devoid of trees.

I have tried Clan Lord, Arindal, and Runescape.

Someone please point me in the right direction.

thank you
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

#2 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

*crickets chirping*

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8287 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

I think the dial-up requirement is an issue: I can't think of any still working MMORPG other than those you mentioned that would work without a broadband connection.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

Yep. Dial-up is an issue.

The government subsidized high speed access expansion and providers made millions off the low-hanging fruit of densely populated areas. But as those areas became "claimed" and the areas left were rural (with less money to make), and as the government cash hand outs dried up, well… why not just stay in urban areas and rake in the money?

Meanwhile, there are still millions of Americans who remain on dial-up because its too cost prohibitive for access via satellite dishes.

But then, monthly costs for access should have gone down in urban areas. I'll bet greed has only made it more expensive, and going up.

I've been bugging a local company for years about expanding their coverage. Their solution was simply to close the only office that had in the city.

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

You're also using a pretty creaky Mac...is that a Core 2 Duo system? GMA950 or 9400M? That's going to severely limit your options, aside from the modem issue. Also, what OS are you using?

That said, there are several good (older) single player fantasy RPGs that will run on your Mac. Check out the offerings from Spiderweb Software and Basilisk Games, for example. Are they are of any interest to you?

edit: The enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate will probably run on your machine. It's a got a multiplayer mode, so a pseudo-MMO, but I don't know if it'll work over dialup.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

That stinks. There are companies who want to solve the issue of covering rural areas, but I don't know if or when those will come to fruition. One was recently found to have launched 3 communications satellites without permission, which could be the end of them..
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#7 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Heya Nick68k,

Mac Mini - 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, VRAM: 256 MB

Mac OS 10.8.5

I've played a few of the earliest Tomb Raiders and Diablo II. I feel so alone playing single player games. I prefer to play with others in an mmo setting.

I did talk to someone who was playing Baldur's Gate on a Mac, and I was really interested in giving it a try.

The drawbacks were the server population is capped at an extremely low number, the max level for all characters was (I believe) around 20-25, and there were several additional expansions that were required to be purchased and overly-complex installations just to get it running.

There were a number of Mac users trying to install the expansions and running into problems. An unsettling number of requests for help were just being left unanswered and ignored.

I often read players' complaints about low numbers of new players, but see very little being done, as a group, proactively to actually help folk get in the game. It's usually left up to one or two players to do anything. And they tend to burn-out after a while.

It boiled down to an expense to purchase the game and required expansions, installation instructions which hadn't been updated in years, a lot of work to get it running, population and level caps,  low number of active players, and no visible interest to DO anything to change the current status quo.

Baldur's Gate is on the same path as Clan Lord. It's just a matter of time.

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

(All of the below refers to the Enhanced Editions of the game. Installation is a breeze)

Baldur's Gate is a party-based game when you play multiplayer, so, yes, it's not really an MMO in the traditional sense, and the server caps are low.
Level cap shouldn't be a problem; it's an xp cap in the game, which is tied to the D&D mechanics. There are mods which can alter it if it bothers you.

As far as expansions go, there's only one for Baldur's Gate, which is Siege of Dragonspear. BG2 is a self-contained game, although you can carry over your character if you like. The Throne of Bhaal expansion is rolled into BG2:EE.

Anyway, I recommend these games, even if you're hesitant about the single-player aspect. Friendly and helpful forums for them can be found at https://www.baldursgate.com
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

It isn't like any of the other MMORPGS you played, but: I just noticed that Puzzle Pirates is still up and running. I've been meaning to try it for ages.

I wonder if you'd be interested in MUDs (multi user dungeon)? They are patterned after text-only adventures, some are mostly social, some mostly combat, some include areas that are written by the players themselves. Many of the surviving ones date back to the 80s and 90s. Wikipedia has a list: https://en.wikipedia...i/List_of_MUDs.
Disclaimer: I have almost no experience with MUDs myself.

TriadCity is a more recent MUD, and the web page makes it look kind of interesting.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

Last I knew the Ryzom MMO client was available as a free download on the Mac AppStore. Itís an old MMO somewhat similar to early EverQuest. I had some friends in my raiding guild who left to play it years ago and they spoke highly of the game. Also, more recently Iíd heard the community still there is friendly and welcoming to new players. You can probably read up on the gameís history on Wikipedia. I would guess that this game would probably support older hardware and dial-up to this day given its age. I recall too that the first 50% of many levels is entirely free to play now without any restrictions.

Maybe this could work and be fun I hope.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8287 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:54 AM

If Baldur's Gate isn't massive enough for you, what about Neverwinter Nights? There still are quite a bunch of persistent worlds for NWN 1 and 2 running, and both should work with just a dial-up connection.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Sorry for not getting back quickly. Had a sudden death in the family.

Lots of phone calls, lots of unanswered questions. Cause of death is unknown and awaiting an autopsy report.

Games have taken a back seat.

I will be back after the funeral plus a few days to re-group.

Lennbain, my friends

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8287 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

Oh, that's sad to hear. My condolences.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Sorry for your loss G_Player.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

:-(
www.mindthecube.com

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

Very sorry to hear of that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dial-up, mmorpg