Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I guess these should be added too:
Dungeons & Dragons Online http://www.ddo.com/ *subscription upgrade available*
The Lord of the Rings Online http://www.lotro.com/ *subscription upgrade available*

Oh and Myst Online: Uru Live no longer has a monthly fee, it now relies on donations to keep running.

#103 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

View Posthenryfakesmile, on 02 April 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

update the list since everquest osx version server was gone

and put the elderscrolls online on top of the list plz

Clean that up like Tesseract did and I'll add it.</lazy>
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#104 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/
Can someone update the list with this ?

#105 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

Is that a free game or does it charge a monthly fee?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#106 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 March 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Is that a free game or does it charge a monthly fee?

lol!! its not another "modern" mmo f2p crap we have been so sick of for 15 years!
its a true EVERQUEST reincarnation from the original developers and apparently everything's going well judging on the pre - pre alpha live stream last week

https://www.twitch.t...alms/v/53850665

jesus this is like a dream come true, all those  train to zone / crazy random mob add / aggro moment , i had already made a 10k usd pledge .....( seriously even my dad was crying when he saw this livestream because everything feel so eq

#107 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

Well, he wouldn't have known that Henry! Even me as a true diehard EQ fan going way back hadn't heard of this yet. There is so much noise in the world of games development it isn't too difficult to miss stuff in development, even very significant stuff if it isn't your own personal cup of tea.

I do appreciate your great enthusiasm for this and EQ though. I really do. You've made me smile tonight.

In other news, Ryzom is free on the Mac App store` and harkens back to the EQ era. It is completely free to play the first half of 250 levels. Beyond that I think they are operating on a donations model to keep the game going. I had friends in my first raiding guild who departed EQ (raiding guild drama precipitated that) and they spoke very highly of the game at the time. So for those liking this kind of game, Ryzom is probably worth a look. The price is certainly right with a free Mac client download from the Mac App Store and no cost at all for full game access for fully 50% of it's content basically. I've heard the community is nice too  which is often true with small communities in games like this. So adding Ryzom would be cool.

Here's the web link for Ryzom: http://ryzom.com

Another recent one that is missing is Eldevin which is available on MGS and is a ftp MMO. This is available as a free download too last I knew. I got it that way on MGS a while ago but have not had time to check it out yet.

Here's the web link for Eldevin: https://www.eldevin.com

Glad to see you'd added the excellent Turbine MMOs, LoTRO and DDO. I spent a lot of time in them and their implementation of f2p is actually not bad at all surprisingly. You can buy a few minimal things at little expense such as some storage and then buy level ranges of content to play which all your alts can use and sort of just pay as you go, permanently owning what you buy into. The cost of it is pretty reasonable certainly for casual players like myself in those two. For serious players, it's better to just subscribe to them and worth it too. They are both excellent games with decent Mac ports.

Another one I have heard is pretty good is Drakensang Online and they released a Mac client a couple years ago now roughly which can be found here in this Drakensang Online forums post about it:

http://www.bigpoint....-download.3680/

This is also in the f2p category. Really, I think pretty much everything but WoW is these days although most of them offer subscriptions for the full or mostly full experience.

I don't recall seeing Guild Wars 2 mentioned but that is just as well given its cider client. That game should be played in Windows or bust unfortunately.

Anyway, I'd count the above as worthy additions to the list when time permits.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#108 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Wow, time flies. I originally posted in this thread back in 2005! It may be shocking, but I still play the game Runescape. I played it back then and I still play it today (with some breaks in between of course). I play the latest runescape and I also relive the fantasy of runescape classic, of which I play rsclegacy.com. It's so nice to relive those memories so long ago. I switch between the classic version and the latest version.

#109 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

BadgerHunter,

Runescape was sold to a Chinese mining company.

What could go wrong?
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

#110 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Clan Lord celebrates its 20th anniversary this year and is still getting regular updates :ph34r:
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#111 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

Clan Lord has reached the end of all things. This was posted in their Update News on 11/15/2017 for version 1042:

But now the days grow short

I’m in the autumn of the year

And now I think of my life as vintage wine

From fine old kegs

From the brim to the dregs

And it poured sweet and clear

It was a very good year.

— Ervin Drake (1919–2015)
  • No significant changes this version.
  • No crashes in 1,693 days, and counting. (A record!)
  • Today marks the 1042nd week of the game’s existence, more or less. This means that Clan Lord has been up and running, almost continuously, for just over 20 years. Happy anniversary to us!

"However... as you will have noticed, the Account Portal has been out of order for some months now. Unfortunately, we’ve concluded that, for reasons of time and resources, we are unable to revive it. This means it’s basically impossible to sign up new players, or for existing ones to modify their accounts, add new character slots, transfer characters, etc."

"Moreover, we have to recognize the writing on the wall for our current Mac and Windows client apps. Both are technologically out-of-date by decades, not just years. We’ve nursed them along as much as we could, but without drastic rewrites they’re not likely to survive more than, say, 12–18 months."

"Even if we had the time, skill, and resources to rewrite the clients (not to mention our associated internal world-building tools), we’re still stuck with game assets — primarily artwork and sounds — that, although they may have been acceptable or even ambitious back in the late 1990’s, are nowadays woefully inadequate. They would all have to be redone, from scratch, to look and work reasonably decently on modern hardware."

"Finally, even the least observant of players will have noticed that the pace of world enhancements has lately slowed to a trickle. Many of the volunteer GMs and their helpers and the artists and contributors who had put so much time and effort into the Clan Lord world over these last 20 years or so, are now inactive. Without their enthusiastic participation, the game world stagnates."

"We have enormous gratitude to all our dedicated players and wonderful collaborators. We’re interested in your thoughts; we’ve started a discussion on the Sentinel, where together we can work out the future of Clan Lord."

from the link above:

"...our inclination is to terminate [Clan Lord] as gracefully as we can, sometime in the next few months."

My heartfelt sympathies to those remaining exiles. May grey ships carry them in straight paths to a land ever vert.

Lennbain fellow exiles!

#112 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

Ah, alas. Let us sit around the fire and tell sad stories of its passing. Still, as a curio, it had a good run.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#113 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have fond memories of Clan Lord as a wee young lad in the 90s. I'd tried to go back a few times over the past decade but the lack of players and the truly 90s nature of it was too much. I will pour one out for our classic game in arms.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#114 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 06 January 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:

I have fond memories of Clan Lord as a wee young lad in the 90s. I'd tried to go back a few times over the past decade but the lack of players and the truly 90s nature of it was too much. I will pour one out for our classic game in arms.

I have many fond memories of it myself. I played it on and off for about a year before it was released (and the beta pre-Ripture Wars) and then played it pretty regularly after that until about 2007-08. Or somewhere around there anyways.

Technically speaking the game just fell too far behind. Kind of tough for me to play it in its tiny window on the high resolution displays of the last several years. I probably got burned out a little as well.

I can't remember the last time I logged on but I've always thought I would come back if there was some kind of game ending event. Maybe there will be? We'll see.

Paul
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#115 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

Those who still wander there deserve a special end game event. And "thanks" to the GMs, artists, and helpers over the years who made it all possible.

P.S.  I sat in the mud in Puddleby for a time as well.  ; )