41 replies to this topic

#1 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

Are we going to get Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes for PS2?  I have a PS2 and recently acquired an XBox, so I don't plan on getting a GameCube anytime soon.

#2 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

Nope, it had some work done by Nintendo on it.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 06:51 PM

Nope, it had some work done by Nintendo on it.

Aww, drat.  It looks awesome.  MGS was great, and I expect nothing less than for this one to be even better w/ all the enhancements and MGS2-style gameplay.

#4 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:54 AM

MGS:TT is indeed, without hyperbole, the bitch.

It's everything the first one was and more in the way it wished it looked.

Some of the new cutscenes actually look like CG. Not only that, but the nostalgia feeling alone of seeing new stuff grafted on to the old stuff sends a chill down your spine.

It controls great, first-person aiming works wonders, and the new Extreme difficlt is so unapologetically hard you just might wish for your mom's tit after being utterly raped by a band of shielded genome super soldiers.

Plus, SK added a bunch of new popsnizzle. Like the new "Briefing" cinematics that are separate from the game. Basically, these are a series of player controlled (they're like cutscenes, except you see them through a red-tinted camera in which you can control - zoom and switch stationary cameras). They flesh out how the Colonel found and convinced Snake to come out of retirement to do the mission, as well as how the colonel explains the situation and people involved to what the doctor gave snake in the "cocktail". All of the cutscenes take place in a sub in a doctors room, and in the room is the Colonel and the scientist chick who you can contact via codec in the game. These cinemas are utterly hilarious - from learning that indeed Snake was not "politely" captured and brought to the Colonel, to Snake needing to go on a diet, and why Snake looks a little bit different that Liquid even though they are supposed to be twins. A pleasent surprise and it adds even more value to the package.

Oh, and the fight with Vulcan raven? Incredible.
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#5 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:58 AM

MGS:TT is indeed, without hyperbole, the bitch.

It's everything the first one was and more in the way it wished it looked.

Some of the new cutscenes actually look like CG. Not only that, but the nostalgia feeling alone of seeing new stuff grafted on to the old stuff sends a chill down your spine.

It controls great, first-person aiming works wonders, and the new Extreme difficlt is so unapologetically hard you just might wish for your mom's tit after being utterly raped by a band of shielded genome super soldiers.

Plus, SK added a bunch of new s**t. Like the new "Briefing" cinematics that are separate from the game. Basically, these are a series of player controlled (they're like cutscenes, except you see them through a red-tinted camera in which you can control - zoom and switch stationary cameras). They flesh out how the Colonel found and convinced Snake to come out of retirement to do the mission, as well as how the colonel explains the situation and people involved to what the doctor gave snake in the "cocktail". All of the cutscenes take place in a sub in a doctors room, and in the room is the Colonel and the scientist chick who you can contact via codec in the game. These cinemas are utterly hilarious - from learning that indeed Snake was not "politely" captured and brought to the Colonel, to Snake needing to go on a diet, and why Snake looks a little bit different that Liquid even though they are supposed to be twins. A pleasent surprise and it adds even more value to the package.

Oh, and the fight with Vulcan raven? Incredible.

You make me want to buy a gamecube just for that...  I'm so excited and envious.  :o

#6 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:14 AM

After watching the mammoth 26 minute trailer I don't really see why I'd actually need to play the game... :razz:
Down with the Sickness

#7 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:09 PM

I just bought a gamecube (my first console :o) one of the reasons why i bought was this game.  But i've never played any of the other Metal Gear games, do you think it's alright to just jump in on this game?  are there any important story connecions between MGS and MGS:TT?
"Nothing here but us text"

#8 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:22 PM

I just bought a gamecube (my first console :o) one of the reasons why i bought was this game.  But i've never played any of the other Metal Gear games, do you think it's alright to just jump in on this game?  are there any important story connecions between MGS and MGS:TT?

MGS: The Twin Snakes is MGS, just with revamped graphics, gameplay, more revealing story, better cutscenes, etc.  Kind of like the analogy between Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission; it's the way it was meant to be.  In essence, it's a remake.  You don't need to have played MGS in order understand Twin Snakes; it's just that if you've played MGS, according to Zach, there are things that TS clarifies and expands on in story, gameplay, etc.  If you play MGS first, my impression is that when you play TS you'll be like "wow, that's so much cooler than the original!"  :-D  :o

#9 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:24 PM

To be more blunt: It is a remake.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#10 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:30 PM

To be more blunt: It is a remake.

Yeah, sorry, I tend to get a little carried away.

#11 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:44 PM

Why is everybody calling it MGS: TT?

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Takes?

Sounds silly to me... Is there a MGS: TS already that I can't think of right now or is the whole gaming industry crazy as normal?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#12 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

Whoa. MGS on PS1 was the best. This MGS: TT.....is some kind of Michael Bay remake. :razz:

#13 cartooncrackpot

cartooncrackpot

LASMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • Location:Planet Blortch, home of the slaughtering rat people.

Posted 20 March 2004 - 04:48 PM

Dammit, I'm still waiting for the PAL release and being able to afford a second console. But yeah, no PS2 love for this title. It only exists because Miyamoto pulled some strings so for Konami to bring it over to Sony's monolith would be like raping Mario.
The official #IMG comic! Last update: 2004/9/5

#14 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

I just bought a gamecube (my first console :o) one of the reasons why i bought was this game.  But i've never played any of the other Metal Gear games, do you think it's alright to just jump in on this game?  are there any important story connecions between MGS and MGS:TT?

MGS: The Twin Snakes is MGS, just with revamped graphics, gameplay, more revealing story, better cutscenes, etc.  Kind of like the analogy between Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission; it's the way it was meant to be.  In essence, it's a remake.  You don't need to have played MGS in order understand Twin Snakes; it's just that if you've played MGS, according to Zach, there are things that TS clarifies and expands on in story, gameplay, etc.  If you play MGS first, my impression is that when you play TS you'll be like "wow, that's so much cooler than the original!"  :-D  :o

oh :o  i haven't readlly much about it and all i know is that it looks really good.   i knew i had to get it after waching that really long trailer they released.
"Nothing here but us text"

#15 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

Whale: All the cool people call it MGS:TT. Why? If you have to ask you aren'
t cool. Anyway, that's the best I could think of to try and save my ass, so take it as you will.

And, to please everyone else here are some more tidbits...

The emotional connection between Snake and Meryl is much stronger this time. I know that sounds kind of weird, but maybe it's due to the upgraded graphics or more intense dialogue and cutscenes, but you definetly get a stronger sense that these two cats want to jump each other. This especially rears it's head at the end of the boss fight with Psycho Mantis. He "reveals" some things about Meryl while she's in the room with Snake. Paralleling that is the love affair between Snake and Sniper Wolf. Before Snake is tortured she has a funny scene with him on the electrical board in which Ocelot pisses her off and she storms off - it's pretty hilarious.

Also, the boss fight with Ninja is great. It's such a cool change of pace to fight hand to hand. It was like that in the first one, but with the revamped graphics it gets really heated. And if you do decide to whip out your FAMAS and shoot the Ninja, the acrobatics he does with his sword to deflect the bullets looks unfreackin' believable. Neo has nothing on this guy. Also, the hand to hand fighting is improved, so when you grab the Ninja and fling him across the room, through a shield of glass and into a series of servers in a massive eruption of sparks, your mouth will drop.

You will also be either happy or pissed that the game is fundamentally harder. The A.I. now makes more in-depth sweeps and they stick together in packs and use shields that splinter bullets in quite a cool plexiglass effect. This is especially evident outside. It could also be that the weather outside is brutal, better than the rain scene in MGS2 on the tanker. You really feel like you are in the mother of all snowstorms. And yes, snow does stick to your "view" in first person mode when you are looking around outside and it will melt smearing your view - pretty cool.

But perhaps one of the coolest new things I've noticed are the little "gamer" things they slip in. In one scene before Snake is getting tortured and Ocelot is explaining to him how to revive his strength, the camera shifts to the left and Ocelot looks directly at you (the scene is abrupt and smacks you in the face) and points his finger at you and in perhaps one of the best voice-acted lines in the game, tells you, the player something. I won't spoil it for you. There's another one of these scenes. A character commands snake to put his controller down, and Snake turns to you...

And lastly, the fight with Mantis is so awesome thanks to the new stuff they added. There are lots of "little" things you might not notice but should look out for. Let's just say if you played Eternal Darkness you might get some freaky nostalgia...and burnt zombies make an appearence...

Oh yeah..and the wolves are a bitch to kill this time...
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#16 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:50 PM

<snip>

Haha, always wanted to quote a snip, or snip a quote, or whatever.  Wow, that's pretty cool.  But what do zombies have to do with MGS?   :-D  :o

#17 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:09 PM

When Mantis is going inferno on your ass look into the past and you'll see what I'm talking about...
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#18 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 March 2004 - 06:46 AM

t cool. Anyway, that's the best I could think of to try and save my ass, so take it as you will.

I take it the only way it can be interpreted: You don't know either.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#19 SydeX

SydeX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:20 AM

I dont know why so many ppl complain about the GameCube, it is a great and powerful machine, maybe not capable of doing amazing stuff, but it does great. I hate those fanboys at the EGM magazine, they always against Nintendo, one way or another, specially some of their games. The other day I bought the March issue of EGM and they said: "It was a bad year for...GameCube" how can they say that? when in 2003 GC saw some really spectacular games, starring with The Legend of Zelda:WW, Vietiful Joe and many others, like Mario Kart: Double Dash. The guys at EGM just favor both Xbox and PS2. Xbox for its online capabilities, and PS2 for its great library of games, but I've never read anything about the GC. I know this is in one way than another out of topic, but who cares, GC has great games, and Metal Gear Solid:TT is one of them. I actually never owend the original MGS, but I played it several times, maybe this time, I will own it. Any toughts on my GC words?  :wink:
www.sydex.deviantart.com

#20 cartooncrackpot

cartooncrackpot

LASMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • Location:Planet Blortch, home of the slaughtering rat people.

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:20 AM

I take it the only way it can be interpreted: You don't know either.

I know why: because people can't fire trucking spell.
The official #IMG comic! Last update: 2004/9/5