52 replies to this topic

#41 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

if only I could resolve my black screen issues! The virtual desktop stuff didn't help any :/
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#42 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

First impressions are nice graphics, interesting characters and .. unusual control scheme. Might take me a little while to get used to it :) Runs very well on my Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) 4870 though.

#43 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostWumpus, on 13 April 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

if only I could resolve my black screen issues! The virtual desktop stuff didn't help any :/
being an ATI card.. you may try this...
if you already put Wineskin.app in there to do virtual desktop stuff, then maybe try... go in Wineskin.app->Advanced->Tools Tab and run Winetricks.  Do a search for GLSL and there should be 2 entries for enabling or disabling GLSL.  Try disabling it (its enabled by default) and see if there is a change... if not enable it back.

#44 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thank for the suggestion. I just played for about 30 minutes without any trouble, though whether that's a fluke or a result of me disabling GLSL I don't know. Last time I played for an hour without any black screens before it hit me.

I'll leave it off for now and keep playing. See what happens :)

GLSL seems to be some kind of shader thing? I noticed some of the lighting at night when talking to NPC's seemed odd. Not sure if that's a result of me disabling the GLSL or not.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#45 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostWumpus, on 15 April 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Thank for the suggestion. I just played for about 30 minutes without any trouble, though whether that's a fluke or a result of me disabling GLSL I don't know. Last time I played for an hour without any black screens before it hit me.

I'll leave it off for now and keep playing. See what happens :)

GLSL seems to be some kind of shader thing? I noticed some of the lighting at night when talking to NPC's seemed odd. Not sure if that's a result of me disabling the GLSL or not.
most of the shader work for Wine is done in GLSL, so many games will not work without it enabled, but being an older game I didn't think it really required it.  It may cause some graphic issues... yes.

#46 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

So, I just started playing this, and got through the pre-chapter one part without trouble. Game runs really well on my 2011 iMac, but from chapter 1 the problems start piling up.. Game crashes and crashes, and I get occasional black cut scenes. Has anyone had any success doing any modifications to the game, or upgrading the wrapper?

Running the MGS version (of course).

"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#47 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I had occasional issues with saving the game in outdoor areas.  Saving inside seems fine.  I got in the habit of saving often, since while some areas go for hours without problems, others are more crash-prone, almost always while transitioning between areas.  (So basically, going through doors.)  I don't remember having any black cut-scenes though.  I did try fiddling with the wrapper a bit, but they seem to be using some custom job, since the replacements I tried had fairly major problems which the custom one lacks.

--Eric

#48 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8245 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 July 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

So, I just started playing this, and got through the pre-chapter one part without trouble. Game runs really well on my 2011 iMac, but from chapter 1 the problems start piling up.. Game crashes and crashes, and I get occasional black cut scenes. Has anyone had any success doing any modifications to the game, or upgrading the wrapper?

Running the MGS version (of course).

I had played the game already some while ago under Bootcamp (when I still had a Bootcamp partition) after I got it for little money from GOG. When the Mac "port" became available there, I gave it a spin, but deleted it in frustration after a few days.

I had the known problems with the black screen on start-up, but could alleviate this by updating the wrapper. However, while I could play the game after that, I still had ugly graphical glitches in some cutscenes (polygons stretched all over the screen) and the game crashed about every hour or so. What really broke the camel's back then, was that I could not progress to the next chapter – no matter what –, as the game invariantly and reproducibly crashed after playing the cutscene at the chapter's beginning.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#49 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Hmmm.. Sad.. So save often is the only remedy - And hope I don't get stuck at some point!

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#50 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Keep your saves for a while...I did have one case where, like Janichsan, it crashed 100% of the time, but going back to a previous save and doing that bit over again fixed it.

Really shouldn't have been sold in this condition, but it's do-able (and mostly enjoyable) if you have some perseverance.

--Eric

#51 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Crash every ~15 minutes... :wall:  I so want to like this game, and so far I love it... BUT THE CRASHES! I'm this close to not playing it...

#52 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4276 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I gave up on it because of the craptastic bugginess. And I agree with your shopper review 100%.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#53 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3938 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Im jalous of those 80% of the reviewers who apparantly dont have problems and gave it 4 or 5 stars. :(

Edit: How a game can be released, and stay in this state is beyond me... Even for a newcomer to the field. Not a good first impression. I think I'll send a few nasty emails..

Edit 2: Yeah, I'm out now. This game is unplayable. 10-15 minutes of gametime is not enough.