#41 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 14 December 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

A GTX1070 in macOS gives about the performance of maybe a GTX680 in Windows, and noticeably not as smooth. Apple just really, really suck ass when it comes to gaming support.
The web drivers that you use are the sole responsibility of nVidia. Why should Apple care if these drivers are poorly optimised? Pascal cards are not even officially compatible with Macs.

#42 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

View Postjeannot, on 14 December 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

The web drivers that you use are the sole responsibility of nVidia. Why should Apple care if these drivers are poorly optimised? Pascal cards are not even officially compatible with Macs.
I'D HAVE THE SAME MESSAGE WERE I USING AN AMD CARD, WOULDN'T I? UNLESS, OF COURSE, I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT F1 2017. WOOT.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#43 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Why would you have the same message if you were using an AMD card? As a matter of fact, the game performs quite well on my AMD iMac. It's only around 15% slower than on DX11. I'd say that the macOS drivers are pretty good considering that Metal is not a mature as DX11 and drivers are not custom-optimised form specific games like they are on Windows.

#44 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

...and NVIDIA's drivers are pretty good considering Apple doesn't support their GPUs with kext updates like they do AMD cards.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#45 marksatt

marksatt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:43 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 14 December 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

...and NVIDIA's drivers are pretty good considering Apple doesn't support their GPUs with kext updates like they do AMD cards.

Apple supply updated drivers for all the GPUs they have ever shipped in a Mac, I don't see why you'd expect them to supply anything else.

View Postjeannot, on 14 December 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Exactly.

Unlike with the old OpenGL stack there is no Apple layer between the application developer and the GPU vendor driver with Metal. If the game isn't running well on Nvidia's new GPUs (Maxwell & Pascal) when using the WebDriver that is something that needs to be communicated to Nvidia as Apple aren't involved at all.

I'm intrigued as to what the underlying problems are...

#46 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 12:52 AM

View Postmarksatt, on 14 December 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

Apple supply updated drivers for all the GPUs they have ever shipped in a Mac, I don't see why you'd expect them to supply anything else.

Exactly.

Unlike with the old OpenGL stack there is no Apple layer between the application developer and the GPU vendor driver with Metal.

What was this layer, some sort of of translation of openGL calls into some other calls consumed by the driver?

If the game isn't running well on Nvidia's new GPUs (Maxwell & Pascal) when using the WebDriver that is something that needs to be communicated to Nvidia as Apple aren't involved at all.

I'm intrigued as to what the underlying problems are...

I believe the root cause of the problems is the absence of cooperation between the API and driver developers, as their relationships appear to be in a pretty bad shape these days.

#47 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted Today, 01:46 AM

View Postmarksatt, on 14 December 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

Why do you think I expect Apple to do anything? I have a GTX1070 in my MacPro, you think I just slapped it in haphazardly?

#48 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 02:24 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 15 December 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Why do you think I expect Apple to do anything? I have a GTX1070 in my MacPro, you think I just slapped it in haphazardly?
Was "Mac" indicated anywhere on the box of the card?

#49 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

View Postjeannot, on 15 December 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Was "Mac" indicated anywhere on the box of the card?
Who's stupid enough to think I bought a GTX1070 expecting support from Apple? Come on, who? I did my homework, children. See this post for answers to stupid questions. Please consider your questions before posting them.

#50 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 12:50 PM

So why again are you blaming Apple for the poor performance of this card on macOS?

Quoting you again:

A GTX1070 in macOS gives about the performance of maybe a GTX680 in Windows, and noticeably not as smooth. Apple just really, really suck ass when it comes to gaming support.

It does read like you expected support from Apple.

#51 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted Today, 02:26 PM

Sorry, I've been using Macs for a DAMNED LONG TIME and, really, you tell me, how have Apple treated gaming in general? Did you start using Macs last year? I apologize for believing others can see the bigger picture that I have over the years. Read that quote... "GAMING SUPPORT."

"GAMING SUPPORT!" I personally don't see how that's confusing enough to warrant so much passive aggressive snark. Was 'Mac' on the side of the box? Of Goddamn course it wasn't! Anything didactic to add?

#52 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 02:42 PM

So, the topic has shifted from the poor performance of some non-Apple drivers, to how Apple have been treating gaming over the years?
That was unclear at best. Even though I have been using Macs for the last 20 years, for work and gaming, I don't really care about how poorly Apple used to support gaming years ago.

According to others, gaming support has improved substantially since the release of Metal.
And it shows in Feral games.

#53 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted Today, 02:56 PM

Is it possible to cap Mankind Divided FPS at 30? Wildly fluctuating numbers are not a totally enjoyable experience.

#54 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 03:12 PM

View Postelowel, on 15 December 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Is it possible to cap Mankind Divided FPS at 30? Wildly fluctuating numbers are not a totally enjoyable experience.
Apparently the game offers no such option. And unfortunately, macOS drivers do not support game-specific profiles like on Windows. Maybe you can find a way to reduce the monitor refresh rate with some special software like switchresX (which requires disabling SIP).
You can also ask Feral directly.