What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
2001 replies to this topic

#2001 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17637 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:56 PM

View PostAtticus, on 13 September 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

Halo MC collection on mai gaming PC c/o Game Pass Ultimate. Good fun.

I'm overdue to play the MC Collection with Cougar.  I am hard pressed to find the time to game these days!  I play BL3 with a couple of friends every Saturday night but other than that I seem to be socked in with no time Toulouse!  Woe to me, oh woe is me,

Son I am woe.
Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2002 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:41 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'm overdue to play the MC Collection with Cougar.  I am hard pressed to find the time to game these days!  I play BL3 with a couple of friends every Saturday night but other than that I seem to be socked in with no time Toulouse!  Woe to me, oh woe is me,

No worries. I plan on picking up an RTX 3080 on release this week (if it doesn't sell out in seconds) and will probably want to play some games that actually take advantage of it! Dishonored 2 and Metro Exodus DLCs have been patiently waiting for a better card.

Just played Heaven's Vault. Wow. What a great game. It's a narrative adventure game without puzzles, but you play a linguist/archaeologist. The gameplay consists of finding artifacts in the world with ancient language phrases on them, and using deduction/educated guesses/existing knowledge to learn words and do translation. It's a lot less complex than it sounds--you're not figuring out declensions or grammar or anything like that--but it's still fun and satisfying.

The story and worldbuilding is great and very creative, especially for videogame standards. It's a bit like Gene Wolfe or Numeneria in that the world has a long-lost technological civilization. The few bits of technology that still exist is very old.

No spoilers, but the endgame has a great mesh of gameplay and story that only videogames can accomplish--think the ending to Brothers. While it doesn't pack the emotional punch of that game, Heaven's Vault did almost make me want to dive into New Game+ immediately. I almost never replay narrative-based games that are 10+ hours long, so that is quite the accomplishment. I'll probably put it off for a few years, but I definitely plan on coming back to it.